Options for automatic Wither-killing?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
My very favorite method involves using block gates and AAs to place the soul sand and skellie skulls respectively. The AA's need to point down and ideally there is a 10 tick delay between the sand and the skulls. I use computercraft to trigger this part because I find programming fun and easy but vanilla redstone can work too. Once built, he falls down a 12 block shaft into a 1x1 hole in the ceiling of a reinfoced obsidian box. The interior of the box is 1x1x4 and the walls are two thick reinforced obsidian. Once he is down there, an MFR mob counter registers him and emits a redstone signal which turns on 3 tesla coils from IC2 which kill him pretty quickly. Once he is dead the mob counter stops emitting a redstone signal and the tesla coils turn off. Finally a rapid item valve from SFM has no problems collecting the drops through the double-thick wall. I usually like to trigger the whole setup with a wireless redstone remote.

In both my testing world and my SSP world I have never had any of the equipment used get damaged. Push button/kill wither!

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
It used to be four skulls and four of the highest tier essence. May be worth a look.

My plan was to move a skeleton spawner with a diamond dolly into a Nether Fortress. Throw some cursed earth around it and see what happens.
I checked. 4 Extreme Essence and 4 skulls give you two Wither seeds. There's also the option to use a Withering bee, you get Wither skull fragments from it, and 54 of them make a skull.

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
A normal skeleton spawner in the Nether spawns wither skeletons as well as an auto spawner with a skeleton set to Exact Copy: NO.

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
What about modular force fields? the interdiction matrix can kill any mob(including the wither) unless its been nerfed since i last played with it. then have extra utilites to pick up items.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Like this:

ZWYlBB5l.jpg

He's spawned, drops down and there's a Draconic Evolution grinder down there, middle shaft is Ender IO Dark Steel Bars and box is reinforced obsidian. The reinforced obsidian isn't even needed. Just make sure you have bars/obs directly underneath where he blows up or all the blast will go down. Is 13 high so the blast is out of juice by the time it gets up to the AA's.

iqr0P6tl.png

Redstone control with timer at 10 sec(makes sure the spawning construction isn't around when one blows up) and a repeater to delay the one AA placing the heads to make sure a head goes on last(just 3 clicks). Item transfer nodes with 3 World interaction upgrades each suck up the drops, controlled by a level emitter set to 64 stars in the system

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
^Yeah, that's about how I did it in the meantime. Differences: I didn't use reinforced obsidian but warded my tower instead, I don't use a double-layered box and I didn't use transfer nodes to pick up the loot (water and a vacuum hopper instead) - are those nodes blast-resistant? It appears you positioned your redstone logic and ME interfacter directly under the kill zone. Why doesn't that stuff blow up?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
^Yeah, that's about how I did it in the meantime. Differences: I didn't use reinforced obsidian but warded my tower instead, I don't use a double-layered box and I didn't use transfer nodes to pick up the loot (water and a vacuum hopper instead) - are those nodes blast-resistant? It appears you positioned your redstone logic and ME interfacter directly under the kill zone. Why doesn't that stuff blow up?

The bars stop the blast completely.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I can't see it in the screenshots - do the transfer nodes pick up items through a layer of bars?

Yes, there's a 3x3 square of bars as a floor, under which is reinforced obsidian(not strictly necessary) and then the tube of bars running up. 3 world interaction upgrades let the transfer nodes suck through both layers.

Reactions: Ieldra

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Thanks. I guess I need to watch more mod spotlights to keep up with my knowledge of how things work in certain mods. ;)

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. I guess I need to watch more mod spotlights to keep up with my knowledge of how things work in certain mods. ;)

Would never have known either without a combination of KingDaddyDmac for the Transfer nodes being able to suck at a distance and through other blocks and ako_the_builder for the Dark Steel Bar Tube Trap.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Would never have known either without a combination of KingDaddyDmac for the Transfer nodes being able to suck at a distance and through other blocks and ako_the_builder for the Dark Steel Bar Tube Trap.
I think I watched ako_the_builder's video, but the dark steel bars are simply a matter of aesthetics. You might as well use warded stone, and the key to the trap is the knowledge that the Wither will float down while in the process of manifesting.

Meanwhile, what I'd like to know is if Thaumcraft's Warded Glass is Wither-resistant. Killing the Wither in a glass house, that would be hilarious. I'll have to try that some time...

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I think I watched ako_the_builder's video, but the dark steel bars are simply a matter of aesthetics. You might as well use warded stone, and the key to the trap is the knowledge that the Wither will float down while in the process of manifesting.

Meanwhile, what I'd like to know is if Thaumcraft's Warded Glass is Wither-resistant. Killing the Wither in a glass house, that would be hilarious. I'll have to try that some time...

Warded blocks protect themselves but AFAIK they don't stop the blast completely. I know in my previous worlds that anything behind the warded stuff could still get damaged.

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
If the wither explodes in water none of your blocks will blow up. I kill my withers in the desert with a small box made out of cobble. I just put a bucket of water one block up and to the side and let it flow over the area where the heads go and it nullifies all explosive damage. Then a Draconic Grinder 1 shots it.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
If the wither explodes in water none of your blocks will blow up. I kill my withers in the desert with a small box made out of cobble. I just put a bucket of water one block up and to the side and let it flow over the area where the heads go and it nullifies all explosive damage. Then a Draconic Grinder 1 shots it.

Hahaha vanilla knowledge ftw, never even thought of that!

K

Kogenta Frost

Like ChemE, teslas work great.

My setup is just a 1x3 shaft with double thick walls surrounding it. I have 4 block placers and 3 AAs setting the sand and skulls at the top.

Using fluctuating itemducts I have one pulling skulls from a chest at the top of the tower and placing them in the AAs using round robin via the servo settings. Another fluctuating item duct round robins the soul sand from the same chest to my 4 block placers. The left and right AAs are set to level (medium) while the center is set to high for placement as the soul sand may not be in place when it tries.

At the bottom of the tower I have an inventory manager that checks for a redstone pulse and if it has 4 soul sand and 3 wither skulls. If it does it places the contents in the chest above it, which get moved to the chest at the top of the tower (this could be shortened by putting the inventory manager up with the other chest, but I was sleepy during design).

To make the pulse I have a rednet programmable controller linked to the redstone receiver for the inventory manager. On a pulse from the white channel, it sends a one shot pulse to the redstone receiver. This could be modified to use a timer and then an and gate to check for something like vars 1 and some lever is on, then set var 2. on var 2, one shot pulse to redstone receiver, thus creating an automated wither killer until you're out of items.

Anyway. When the wither reaches the bottom of the shaft and does his explosion, he's greeted by 8 IC2 tesla coils, switched on from the redstone signal from a mob counter, and dies quickly. The tesla coils are hooked up to two MFSUs via gold cable (4 teslas for each MFSU), and the MFSUs are charged via rednet energy cables (since they can take RF and output EU).

Below the tower is a hopperhock that collects the loot, which is then moved to an easy location for the player.

And there you go, push button, get nether star ^_^

My setup is probably more complicated than need be, but perhaps it will give people some ideas and it works pretty well in DW20.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Like ChemE, teslas work great.

My setup is just a 1x3 shaft with double thick walls surrounding it. I have 4 block placers and 3 AAs setting the sand and skulls at the top.

Using fluctuating itemducts I have one pulling skulls from a chest at the top of the tower and placing them in the AAs using round robin via the servo settings. Another fluctuating item duct round robins the soul sand from the same chest to my 4 block placers. The left and right AAs are set to level (medium) while the center is set to high for placement as the soul sand may not be in place when it tries.

At the bottom of the tower I have an inventory manager that checks for a redstone pulse and if it has 4 soul sand and 3 wither skulls. If it does it places the contents in the chest above it, which get moved to the chest at the top of the tower (this could be shortened by putting the inventory manager up with the other chest, but I was sleepy during design).

To make the pulse I have a rednet programmable controller linked to the redstone receiver for the inventory manager. On a pulse from the white channel, it sends a one shot pulse to the redstone receiver. This could be modified to use a timer and then an and gate to check for something like vars 1 and some lever is on, then set var 2. on var 2, one shot pulse to redstone receiver, thus creating an automated wither killer until you're out of items.

Anyway. When the wither reaches the bottom of the shaft and does his explosion, he's greeted by 8 IC2 tesla coils, switched on from the redstone signal from a mob counter, and dies quickly. The tesla coils are hooked up to two MFSUs via gold cable (4 teslas for each MFSU), and the MFSUs are charged via rednet energy cables (since they can take RF and output EU).

Below the tower is a hopperhock that collects the loot, which is then moved to an easy location for the player.

And there you go, push button, get nether star ^_^

My setup is probably more complicated than need be, but perhaps it will give people some ideas and it works pretty well in DW20.
Hey look another necromancer