Opinions on AE

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Do I have to make the circuits before hand, or will the advanced circuit recipe take care of that?

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Do I have to make the circuits before hand, or will the advanced circuit recipe take care of that?
It'll automatically try to craft any parts that it needs and is aware of (Export Buses can be taught to do something similar)

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm.

I guess my last question is: For patterns, how can I can craft say for example... An advanced circuit? Can it use the pattern for the circuit, or does it build a circuit using the circuit pattern, then build the advanced circuit with a pattern that specifies a circuit?

You'll need a separate pattern for each step. For example, you'll need a pattern for copper cables and for electronic circuit and for advanced circuit. When you ask it to make an advanced circuit, it checks if it has electronic circuit. If so, it uses it. Otherwise, it makes the electronic circuit. To make the electronic circuit, it checks if you have copper cable. If not, it makes it.

Also, you mentioned having a separate network for your stuff and a separate network for ore processing. That really isn't necessary. And it's more costly to do it that way. Just input your ores into your AE system and set up export buses to process the ores into dusts and the dusts into ingots (for example).

You also mentioned a separate network for nuke stuff. I don't do nukes, so I really don't know particulars about that. But I have no idea why you'd want to separate your nuke stuff from your main stuff. Unless you're talking about a distance issue (e.g., your nuke base is hundreds of blocks away), it really doesn't make sense to separate it. The only reason I have two AE networks in my world is because I don't want to lay 500 blocks of cable between my main base and my Thaumcraft base.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhhh.

Thanks guys. A lot of confusion regarding AE have been cleared up. I think I can proceed to plan appropriately for my needs now, confidently. Always that little bit of hesitation you have, before spending very valuable/scare/non-renewable resources and in large quantities.

Though none of the parts are breakable like... GT >_>. It's just nice to be able to plan with this level of information/knowledge.

Lastly, on the drives there seems to be a number xxxx : x after the "64k ME Drive". What are those? Do drives deteriorate? Even if it's small, I want to be aware of this as well.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think I'll have a problem creating 2-4 64k discs.

Pound for pound you run out of types faster then your run out of bytes. I use just 16K disc and everything I own fits in 10 (1 drive arrry) with tons of room left over. 1 64K takes about as much as making 3 16k discs. And you will hit its 63 type limit WAY before you hit its 64k byte limit. So I just use the 16k disc and anything I have more then a dozen stacks of go into barrels.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Lastly, on the drives there seems to be a number xxxx : x after the "64k ME Drive". What are those? Do drives deteriorate? Even if it's small, I want to be aware of this as well.
No, drives last forever. It's a coding thing (specifically, to avoid using multiple item IDs for similar items, it uses NBT data to distinguish between different drive types and whether a specific drive is formatted/full).

You also mentioned a separate network for nuke stuff. I don't do nukes, so I really don't know particulars about that. But I have no idea why you'd want to separate your nuke stuff from your main stuff.
It's mostly a safety factor matter. Bad Things can happen the storage system attached to a nuclear reactor acts unexpectedly.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
So...

If nuclear reactor fails, everything attached to it is at risk?

Oh dear. Well I do only use Mark I's....

Hopefully.

My matter fabricator =(.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
If a nuclear reactor overheats, it can cause an explosion ranging from slightly larger than TNT, to devastating a circle the size of several chunks, if on a flat plane. The blast radius can be reduced through the use of protective materials, like hardened stone and glass, or warded stone. Most good reactor designs will never overheat normally, but many specialized designs, especially multifuel or breeder reactors, can go Terrribly Wrong if the automation network goes bad.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Ohhhh, so it doesn't relate to what is attached to the line.

Was about to say. Even if I put it 100000 million blocks away and connect it with wire....

That's a relief.

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
Ah safety. That's simple then. Yes, you could just use a separate network. But I would just make sure it's relatively far from the rest of the AE network. If it goes boom, all you'll lose is an export bus, an import bus, and some wire.

You can be extra careful and just surround it with some of those nuke-proof xycraft blocks. (Xychoridite shields).

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
That is most likely my solution.

And I already had planned to modulate every single one of my systems, just for organizational purposes. The thing that scared me the most about using AE is the interface. All those items in the same area, ugh. If I had to deal with seeing partial dusts appearing and disappearing along with just about every sub-processing going on, I'd go nuts.

It's why I have been hesitant. The concrete, stable and consistent vanilla containers that I'm so used to.

Though after experimenting with AE to automate my tree farm, there's no way that the engineer in me can avoid using it. It's just too... Powerful. Muahahahha... >_>

But really. It's too strong of a tool to not use, especially for an FTB player like me, and I assume you (gus), gatt, saice and everyone else that posted in this thread. You explain things technically, which I appreciate. Technical communication is so exact and refreshing.

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
One annoying thing about AE is power. If you lose power, you lose all your mats. I had an engine explosion and it took out just enough power that AE wasn't working. So I had to remove the auto-crafter (which takes a lot of power), just so I could access the rest of my mats. But in order to make another engine, I had to make everything manually, which was really annoying considering I used to just click on a gear or piston and it would come to me.

As for what you mention (dusts appearing and disappearing), you won't notice it. The AE interface is sorted by number of items. You'll likely have many more iron ingots than iron dust, so you won't even see when iron dust enters your system.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
You seem to be using ic2, gt, and nukes. AE auto crafting is your new best friend. Non-stacking items that are used in many reactors stack in AE, and autocrarting saves a huge amount of headache. I made a pattern for every reactor component so my system can auto craft all my needs without me having to due non-stackables and at a time. This is also prevalent in gregtech with lapotronic energy orbs and in iridium neutron reflectors for fusion reactors (which take 1000 non-stackable components). You will also need every centrifuge part, industrial electrolyzer electrolyzer part, and every machine upgrade recipe in your MAC for fusion unless you want to go nuts making it all by hand, as well as the transformers and mfe/mfsu.

Get acclimated early and you won't hate life later in progression.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well that's what it is all about in my world.

Sustainable progression. It was always my plan to move to AE, just that finding the most correct solution in using this tool, is what I needed to find. Both aesthetically and practically, I had to find the most architectural and engineering-best solution for my world before I proceeded. Considering the costs of AE, I think my prolonged advancement isn't too large a hindrance.

russjr08

Jul 29, 2019
One annoying thing about AE is power. If you lose power, you lose all your mats. I had an engine explosion and it took out just enough power that AE wasn't working. So I had to remove the auto-crafter (which takes a lot of power), just so I could access the rest of my mats. But in order to make another engine, I had to make everything manually, which was really annoying considering I used to just click on a gear or piston and it would come to me.

As for what you mention (dusts appearing and disappearing), you won't notice it. The AE interface is sorted by number of items. You'll likely have many more iron ingots than iron dust, so you won't even see when iron dust enters your system.

That is unless you use a crap ton of storage busses, or even storage bus essential materials like iron/diamonds and such.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to make a deep storage unit from mfr and use it alongside a storage bus for things like cobble, dirt, gravel, sand.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Another thing (and this is for down the road), is the export buses do not like when it is set to auto-craft everything that comes into it. It clogs up the system and the crafting monitor doesn't tell you what is wrong. So I just make a bunch of stuff ahead of time and have the export bus export the already made items. E.g., my fermenter receives fertilizer. But if I set it to autocraft fertilizer from the apatite in the system, it doesn't work. So I make 10 stacks of fertilizer at a time, and make more if needed.

I just went through something similar. My solution was to use an ME Interface to hold a stack of fertilizer. If any fertilizer is removed the system auto crafts and replaces it. Then I used a clay golem on the bottom of the fermenter and told it to keep a stack of fertilizer in the fermenter.

As a side note.... I started with a 4x4x4 crafting module with 4 CPUs and 4 pattern units. As time went on I just expanded one side it (4x5x4) so I could add 4 more pattern units.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I just put one export bus on my fermenter and the mulch/saplings/plantballs/compressed plantballs/rubber saplings when into the correct slots automatically.