Problem One of my player's inventory resets often

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
  • What OS are you running?
Windows 10
  • Are you using minecraft hosting provider or a dedicated/local server not designed for minecraft?
Dedicated
  • What version of FTB are you using? (Dont just say latest tell us the version)
FTB Beyond 1.11.0
  • Did you add any mods to the server pack?
No
  • What are your server specs?
Not sure what info I need to provide here, though I will happily find anything you need
  • A good detailed paragraph about the problem
Hello all,

So I come to you today with an issue that is typically server side, though I have a suspicion it may be client side based on the details. One of the 7 or so people that play on my server has a bug where sometimes when he logs out his inventory gets completely wiped. My first thought was that his player.dat was not saving properly in my server files but a) literally no one else on the server has this issue b) he says this has happened to him before, both on other servers and even single player and c) the latest iteration of this even had a chest that held his items, since he tries to brace himself for this, completely empty itself. I know for a fact it's happening to him and he's not lying, and I know none of my other players are pulling any shenanigans on him. Is there any advice I can give him? Is there anything I can check on and try to fix the issue? Our temporary solution for now is that I replace his songs via creative mode, but it's tesious to have him list everything he's holding when he logs off and for me to frequently go to his house and run down the list with him. Thanks in advanced for any tips!

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Have you checked his dat-file after a logout?

Either use NBT explorer to check it or replace your own player file with his (make a backup of yours and copy his and then rename the copy to fit your UUID) - that would log you in with his data and also the location where he logged out

This sounds very very fishy.

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
Have you checked his dat-file after a logout?

Either use NBT explorer to check it or replace your own player file with his (make a backup of yours and copy his and then rename the copy to fit your UUID) - that would log you in with his data and also the location where he logged out

This sounds very very fishy.

I seem to be having issues with accessing the player.dat files with NBT Explorer, the world file on my server doesn't want to show up on NBT's drop down menu. I'll try the replacing thing later, though it's a pain to figure out who's UUID is who's

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
unless you have some proof that it actually happens I wouldn't take it at face value that it does. A couple of reasons for this:

a) literally no one else on the server has this issue
Like you said, its weird that it only happens to 1 guy
b) he says this has happened to him before, both on other servers and even single player
So, he is saying that this player specific bug is happening on more then 1 server. This would mean its a software problem and thus I expect a lot more players to be affected by it.
c) the latest iteration of this even had a chest that held his items, since he tries to brace himself for this, completely empty itself.
chests are stored in a complete other way then inventories. A corrupt player.dat file can be believable, however a chests doesn't empty itself and if that data goes corrupt it will most defiantly effect more than just a single chest, either the whole server by having it crash the moment said chest gets loaded or the chest will get deleted (not just emptied) if a certain config option is set which is off by default.

So, either he is the most unluckiest guy in the world being the only person with a haunted uuid and then also getting hit by another bug that empties specifically his chest or something else is going on.
it's a pain to figure out who's UUID is who's
maybe https://mcuuid.net/ can help?

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
unless you have some proof that it actually happens I wouldn't take it at face value that it does. A couple of reasons for this:

Like you said, its weird that it only happens to 1 guy

So, he is saying that this player specific bug is happening on more then 1 server. This would mean its a software problem and thus I expect a lot more players to be affected by it.

chests are stored in a complete other way then inventories. A corrupt player.dat file can be believable, however a chests doesn't empty itself and if that data goes corrupt it will most defiantly effect more than just a single chest, either the whole server by having it crash the moment said chest gets loaded or the chest will get deleted (not just emptied) if a certain config option is set which is off by default.

So, either he is the most unluckiest guy in the world being the only person with a haunted uuid and then also getting hit by another bug that empties specifically his chest or something else is going on.

maybe https://mcuuid.net/ can help?

Yeah, I don't think he's outright lying but there may be some details I'm missing from him/things he thinks are happening that aren't. For example, he may have thought he stored everything in a chest before logging and not actually done it. I'll try to get more info from him on the problem, but I'm 99% certain it's not something on my end. I'll also use mcuuid, thanks for the link.

EDIT: Alright, I took a look at his inventory and for the moment he has the items he remade. Next time he tells me his items are gone I'll double check.

Another issue with him that may be related is often times his character loads in invisible to everyone, prompting him to have to log in and out to be seen by anyone again. I can verify this bug, there's been plenty of times I've gone to his house and been unable to see or bump into him, and it wasn't a potion or anything like that as far as I know.

D

DrowzeeSpaceman

Hey, I'm the player this is happening to. This is my first time playing on a Feed the Beast server, but in my time playing on Vanilla servers in the past, having my character reset in a normal occurrence. When I say "reset", I mean everything. Levels, items, achievements, anything specifically tied to my character was set back as though I was just joining the server for the first time. It has happened so many times that I now, if possible, will put everything that is in my inventory into a chest before logging out; even on single player worlds.

Now, on this FTB server, I haven't quite experienced the same thing, but in the month or so that the server has existed, I have had two issues. First, upon signing in, I was placed in spawn with an empty inventory, (all I lost in this case was my Angel Ring). The second one was the weirder one. Before logging out and having the server be shut down, I put everything into a chest, (in case I got reset again), before signing off. When the server was turned back on later that night, the spots in the chest that had my items were empty, but everything else that was in the chest before I put my items in was still there. I'm wondering if there was a problem in turning the server off right after I logged out, or maybe the fact that all of the items I put away were Soulbound?

As for the invisibility bit, sometimes when I sign in, I am just invisible to the other players. Mobs can see me, they still chase me, but players cannot see me. If I try to use a bed while invisible, I am unable to wake up, and I have the option to have the server kick me out so I can log in again. This glitch is fixed after logging in again, but maybe it has something to do with these issues?

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
I'm wondering if there was a problem in turning the server off right after I logged out

How was the server turned off?
A server should always be turned off by using commands, closing the server using the red X on the window will force it to close and not saving properly.

As for the invisibility bit, sometimes when I sign in, I am just invisible to the other players.
That's a bug that happens to many players on many servers.

I am unable to wake up, and I have the option to have the server kick me out so I can log in again.
That's a known vanilla bug, in some mod packs there's a command added so that the player can kick the character out without having a admin to help.

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
How was the server turned off?
A server should always be turned off by using commands, closing the server using the red X on the window will force it to close and not saving properly.

I use the stop command anytime I need to shut the server down, though it is normally on 24/7