OMG THE APATITE

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jamil090

Jul 29, 2019
I found an apatite node today that was 100+ blocks! Almost 9 stacks of apatite from all of it. Did they change the way apatite spawns or what?

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I really don't know what Sengir was thinking. He really dropped the ball on that one, IMO. You can get an entirely full inventory off of some of those Apatite veins...

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I really don't know what Sengir was thinking. He really dropped the ball on that one, IMO. You can get an entirely full inventory off of some of those Apatite veins...

He didn't just increase the spawn rate for nothing.. I'm pretty sure you're going to be using a lot more apatite in the new version of Forestry. I haven't updated yet so I'm not fully sure, but that's what I've gleamed from these forums.

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
He didn't just increase the spawn rate for nothing.. I'm pretty sure you're going to be using a lot more apatite in the new version of Forestry.
This may be part of it, but I do know he got quite a bit of people complaining about the amounts found vs. amounts required for stuff. Please remember that even though forestry is bundled with FTB, it can be ran as a standalone mod(to an extent), so all of the awesome machines and such we use may not be accessible to other modpacks that include it. (IE: no quarry fo ya-ou)

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I still haven't found any apatite yet in my new world. :( Since I am in a large meadows biome, most of my spawn area can't actually spawn any as the y level is too low. To keep myself occupied, I have been experimenting with bees and thaumcraft instead. :)

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
Perfect example of why it was changed ^

@netmc, I don't even mess with bees/trees. Seems a bit too complicated compared to punching dirt :p

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
With the new forestry version, the recipes for fertilizer were changed to always require apatite. Since that means you'll need quite a bit more of it to run the Forestry farms as well as the machines that use fertilizer, he changed the spawn mechanics so it spawns uncommonly above level 60 (so only in mountains or other taller biomes) in very large veins. You find more of it because you use more of it.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
He didn't just increase the spawn rate for nothing.. I'm pretty sure you're going to be using a lot more apatite in the new version of Forestry. I haven't updated yet so I'm not fully sure, but that's what I've gleamed from these forums.
Yeah I realize that you need more. But IMO if you have to increase the spawn rate THAT much as compensation, you've got a bad design in resource usage somewhere. Make it twice as rare but also twice the output and you've got essentially the same outcome without making an entire mountain out of apatite. Right now apatite in mountains is like factorization's silver in the beta pack, there was way too much of it to the point that you could have trouble finding stone XD

Reactions: AlanEsh and Yuka

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I for one like this kind of resource generation, and I wish other mods would use it and expand on it. It makes setting up a mining camp and all the amenities it needs worthwhile, instead of just running around in random caves all the time.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Right now apatite in mountains is like factorization's silver in the beta pack, there was way too much of it to the point that you could have trouble finding stone XD

But it doesn't spawn below level 60, making it simple to avoid if you're not looking for it. Factorization silver is absolutely everywhere in the beta pack.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
But it doesn't spawn below level 60, making it simple to avoid if you're not looking for it. Factorization silver is absolutely everywhere in the beta pack.

Not only is apatite easy to avoid, when you do need it you end up having to target it specifically in order to find it. I find it rather enjoyable to run around searching for ore in the hillsides. I really wish coal and iron would work the same way tbh. tendrils of ore that you could follow down into the depths would be awesome.

But what do i know... I'm a fan of terrafirmacraft as well after all.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
True, it is only at certain levels.... Still, mountains that have their entire face covered in apatite are ugly as sin D:

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I really think that always needing apatite is just a stupid idea. I like mulch and compost being good alternatives and now the only way to really automate a farm is just to quarry metric craptons of apatite. My current setup for my biofuel production is maintenance free and I would like it to be able to stay that way.

akamanu

Jul 29, 2019
on the new farms you use it a lot, you need fertilizer for some of them to work.
I havent seen this huge formations you guys talk about yet, but i read somewhere that you can find em like that but the small veins are not gonna be common anymore.

/manu

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
on the new farms you use it a lot, you need fertilizer for some of them to work.
I havent seen this huge formations you guys talk about yet, but i read somewhere that you can find em like that but the small veins are not gonna be common anymore.

/manu
You need fertilizer for all of the farms to work.
The farms consume a set amount of fertilizer per operation it seems.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
This is why I've been using Steve's Carts for farming, so I can save my fertilizer for use in fermenters for biomass production.

Then again, I'm still playing on a world generated before the Forestry update, so I don't have a whole lot of apatite. I suppose I could create a Mystcraft Age filled with mountains if I ever start running low.