Old player looking for new pack to pick up

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RandomMoped

Popular Member
Nov 17, 2012
Somewhere on the internet
Hey yall, i haven't played FTB for a yew years and thew new packs leave me kind of overwhelmed. Can anybody point to the best packs to pick up that have good cross mod compatability? As far as difficulty goes as long as it's not gregtech level grindy I can live with it. Thank you for any pointers!

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
You might enjoy Enigmatica 2 Expert in 1.12.2, Age of Engineering in 1.10.2, or my pack, A Polychromatic World in 1.7.10. All three have either quests or a guide that should help you get through them, and feature loads of cross mod integration.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
DireWolf20 tends to be the defacto learning pack. If you want more challenge, Skyfactory 3 is a fantastic pack all about automation. If you want a bigger challenge still, try SevTech. It is a gated progression pack that will really make you think. My current preferred pack is Enigmatica 2. It is full of really interesting mods, some new some classic.

S

SomeRandomPetey

If you want a challenge, try FTB Continuum. I'd reccommend something like Direwolf20 1.10.2 or Direwolf20 1.12

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'd go with Direwolf20 for several reasons:

1). Direwolf20 is considered a "Kitchen Sink" pack, meaning you aren't tied to one specific way to do things. Also mod customization is at a minimum to leave each mod as original as possible. Many of the custom packs have extensive mod customization to the point that recipes can be drastically different in some "expert" packs or not work as easily with others.

2). Direwolf does a "Let's Play" series on YouTube based on his latest pack when it is released and becomes available so you can watch and see how things work. Every 10th episode is available for download so you can play with his actual build (some of us have worse RNG than others :D )

3). Direwolf also does periodic "Spotlight" videos to show new mods and new versions of old mads, explaining how they work and how they've changed from previous versions.

K

KevinSalyer

haha Enigmatica 2 Expert in 1.12.2, Age of Engineering in 1.10.2 might be good.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
haha Enigmatica 2 Expert in 1.12.2, Age of Engineering in 1.10.2 might be good.

The OP hasn't played Minecraft for several years... Assuming his last active playing was on a 1.7.190 pack we've We've been through at least Five Major versions of Minecraft (Six if you count 1.13... I'm not counting minor upgrades lie 1.13.1 and 1.13.2). You have played through 2016-2017, when all this change occurred. They have not.

Pushing someone instantly into any pack that has heavily modified from the developers' original is counter productive to someone wanting to learn what has changed since they last played, particularly when they DO go back to a "normal" pack and none of the recipes work the same.