Oil Ocean - Mystcraft. Is it possible?

MynameisAK

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to have an Ocean of Oil in the current version of FTB Ultimate (with no manual updates) and if so, where would the Oil page go to make this happen (I know how to make age's, so I ask not to be treated like an idiot xD)?

EDIT: As a couple of people have answered with a different sort of answer to which I was looking, I'm editing this xD What I am looking for is where exactly in the process does the Oil page go in the mystcraft creation (in comparison to the biome, biome controller, lighting, sun/stars/moon e.g.).

EDIT 2:

Thank you very much Adonis0 for guiding my way xD - http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/goto/post?id=309428#post-309428

For anyone else that views this thread the exact age I used (which got a very nice always light oil ocean age) was:

1. Ocean Biome
  2. Single Biome
  3. Zero Length
  4. Noon
  5. Normal Sun
  6. Full Length
  7. Normal Moon
  8. Normal Stars
  9. Bright Lighting
  10. Oil
  11. Flat
  12. No Weather
  13. Clear Modifiers
All of which were in that order. I hope you enjoy your Oil Age - Thanks again to Adonis0

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Possibly. More importantly... why? The only thing Oil is good for is being turned into Fuel for Combustion Engines. However, there's so many more viable power options that it's not worth all the hassle of setting up Refineries.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, there is an oil page, although it will create a whole load of instability, so honestly, along with ShneekeyTheLost's point, makes it pretty useless.

MynameisAK

Jul 29, 2019
Possibly. More importantly... why? The only thing Oil is good for is being turned into Fuel for Combustion Engines. However, there's so many more viable power options that it's not worth all the hassle of setting up Refineries.

Dependent on whether you're a smart person or not and use a majority of the mods rather than just the one. As I was referring to the current ultimate pack (as stated in my original post), I was planning on converting it into fuel and then burning it into a full size boiler (36HP liquid) - or 20 of them, which is the most efficient way of getting power out of fuel.

I would then proceed to convert the steam (after teleporting it via liquid Tesseracts - which identify steam as a liquid based entity) straight into energy using a consumer/energy bridge/producer set up (from the Power Converters Mod).

As the current server I am playing on has no restrictions bar canvas bags/miners backpack and promotes creativity I have chosen to utilize a power source I have never tried before (lava, solar, generators, water, wind, biomass, biofuel, factorization converted, RP2 converted, bioreactor to biofuel. I have done a lot).

I'd think myself as a smart person (reasonably), and good when it comes to sorting out large automated machinery. Though my choice I have pushed my knowledge on the creation of mystcraft ages (which is nowhere near as sophisticated as other mods), which as shown was not enough, so I have come to the forums (after looking for threads of the same type, with no results).

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
As I understand it, put the oil page right before the terrain modifier, and use an ocean biome in the creation of your age.

I suggest using ocean biome single biome, oil flat. Because if the ocean is hilly, the pump doesn't always get out everything as there's ups and downs in the islands.

Reactions: MynameisAK

MynameisAK

Jul 29, 2019
As I understand it, put the oil page right before the terrain modifier, and use an ocean biome in the creation of your age.

I suggest using ocean biome single biome, oil flat. Because if the ocean is hilly, the pump doesn't always get out everything as there's ups and downs in the islands.

Okay, thanks, I'll test this out and get back in about 5 minutes.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Dependent on whether you're a smart person or not and use a majority of the mods rather than just the one. As I was referring to the current ultimate pack (as stated in my original post), I was planning on converting it into fuel and then burning it into a full size boiler (36HP liquid) - or 20 of them, which is the most efficient way of getting power out of fuel.
Or you can run them on Biofuel and not have to blow diamonds on refineries.

I would then proceed to convert the steam (after teleporting it via liquid Tesseracts - which identify steam as a liquid based entity) straight into energy using a consumer/energy bridge/producer set up (from the Power Converters Mod).
Which you can do with any sort of boiler setup... including tree farm charcoal boilers.

As the current server I am playing on has no restrictions bar canvas bags/miners backpack and promotes creativity I have chosen to utilize a power source I have never tried before (lava, solar, generators, water, wind, biomass, biofuel, factorization converted, RP2 converted, bioreactor to biofuel. I have done a lot).
Mmmkay, fair enough. However, you aren't going to get a whole lot out of the deal but headaches.

I'd think myself as a smart person (reasonably), and good when it comes to sorting out large automated machinery. Though my choice I have pushed my knowledge on the creation of mystcraft ages (which is nowhere near as sophisticated as other mods), which as shown was not enough, so I have come to the forums (after looking for threads of the same type, with no results).
Yea, Mystcraft age creation has gotten a whole LOT more complicated if you wish to avoid... problems.

Of course, Oil Oceans will cause you a LOT of... problems... don't be upset if you end up with every negative effect plus meteors raining down on you...

MynameisAK

Jul 29, 2019

Biofuel is much much less efficient and takes much more to produce.

It also takes a large tree farm (of any type, forestry, MFR or stevecarts) to keep a 36HP boiler running (and seeming I'm to be running 10 at once, I'd need a tree farm about 20x20 chunks).

Burning Fuel in a Boiler gives the best output in a boiler, one bucket produces 96k heat, which is 23 pieces of charcoal (usually around 4-6 tree's worth).

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Just a note, it's much better to use something other than a tree farm for biofuel in my opinion.

I've currently got a set-up which has four 7x7 farms, wheat, carrots, potato, and netherwart. These are surrounded by lilypads of fertility, and so far running three boilers hasn't even made it go past using one type of item yet.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Biofuel is much much less efficient and takes much more to produce.
You haven't seen much of MFR, have you? You can make biofuel directly out of saplings, seeds, even potatoes and carrots. And it gets more efficient with the more different types it has.

It also takes a large tree farm (of any type, forestry, MFR or stevecarts) to keep a 36HP boiler running (and seeming I'm to be running 10 at once, I'd need a tree farm about 20x20 chunks).
Now that's a massive hyperbole and gross exaggeration. More like 20 x 20 blocks. DW20's farm is even smaller. Of course, MFR can keep it going out of a 3 x 3 plot with a Planter, Harvester, and Fertilizer. In fact, can keep multiples going.

Burning Fuel in a Boiler gives the best output in a boiler, one bucket produces 96k heat, which is 23 pieces of charcoal (usually around 4-6 tree's worth).
It is the most fuel efficient liquid fuel, yes. But Biofuel is renewable and able to be mass produced in significantly higher quantities.

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, there is an oil page, although it will create a whole load of instability, so honestly, along with ShneekeyTheLost's point, makes it pretty useless.

I don't know if it's my reading skills, but I don't remember anyone asking if it was useful or not. The op asked if it was possible. What does it matter if YOU don't think it's useful? It's useful to the OP.

Reactions: Freakscar

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I don't know if it's my reading skills, but I don't remember anyone asking if it was useful or not. The op asked if it was possible. What does it matter if YOU don't think it's useful? It's useful to the OP.
The OP edited his OP. The original and unedited version of his OP deserved such a response.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
If oil ages are so useless, why did they decide to add oil biomes to buildcraft in the latest version? I use fuel in my boilers and it is much simpler than making biofuel conventionally. I haven't tried the MFR way, but it seems good. Of course my fuel source is refined bees with the fast productivity trait. 3 alviaries with the light and rain shield block so they produce 24/7 and no frames is keeping 4 36 HP boilers going with surplus. I am not even using the biofuel I get occasionally from them. By the time you are the point of needing a steady automated fuel setup, the diamonds for refineries are meaningless.

MynameisAK

Jul 29, 2019
You haven't seen much of MFR, have you? You can make biofuel directly out of saplings, seeds, even potatoes and carrots. And it gets more efficient with the more different types it has.

Now that's a massive hyperbole and gross exaggeration. More like 20 x 20 blocks. DW20's farm is even smaller. Of course, MFR can keep it going out of a 3 x 3 plot with a Planter, Harvester, and Fertilizer. In fact, can keep multiples going.

It is the most fuel efficient liquid fuel, yes. But Biofuel is renewable and able to be mass produced in significantly higher quantities.

As I had stated with the Bioreactor, i have done it. Of which the comparison between how much fuel makes and how much. It is also much more complex to set up to get it going efficiently.

And with it he cannot keep a full boiler running without his supplies dropping.

So having a single ocean of oil is not a mass?

The OP edited his OP. The original and unedited version of his OP deserved such a response.

And in my opinion you deserve a creeper spawner under your bed, stop being so argumentative.

I did not create this thread to argue about the efficiency of oil, nor could I care about it. PM'ing a Mod to request a Lock on the thread.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
I wont be locking the thread due to someone else may have questions on this.

As OP has said he didn't make it to argue there for don't.

I will be watching this thread now.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a question pertinent to the discussion in a civilized manner.

How much instability does the oil page cause and subsequently, how many instability adding pages will negate enough random instability to make it worthwhile (i.e. charged, etc.)?

MynameisAK

Jul 29, 2019
I wont be locking the thread due to someone else may have questions on this.

As OP has said he didn't make it to argue there for don't.

I will be watching this thread now.

Okay, thank you Lawbroken ^_^ Appreciate the help

Here's a question pertinent to the discussion in a civilized manner.

How much instability does the oil page cause and subsequently, how many instability adding pages will negate enough random instability to make it worthwhile (i.e. charged, etc.)?

Well the age that I'd created (the one in the OP) caused Mining fatigue IV, Weakness III. Scorched Surface - Seeming I only spend time in there to reload the chunkloader after a server restart (other than the 10 minutes setting up the pumps) I'd see that as a worthwhile deal. I've not discovered any Decay yet, and will inform you/the readers of the thread if I do so.

Reactions: Lawbroken

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Well, unless you stuff up the writing of it, you won't be getting any world decay from adding it
So, really you don't need any. The only nasty effect that I can think of that would cause you to ditch that world is nausea, because you're really only ever setting up pump there, you're not spending a lot of time in the world.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
If you do feel the need to get rid of instability effects, do not use Charged to balance everything out. Depending on what version of Buildcraft you're using, all the oil will set on fire.
Unless you want that to happen... then by all means, do it and show me the results :D

Sent from boobs (because why not?)