Oganizational systems

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry I thought that LP was part of the BC pack :p, I'll tak ea look at RR.

I guess more what I was wondering is how do you prefer to separate things? everything in a soaryn chest, ae or not? Separated by mod? specific things like ores in this chest, metals in this, dust, gems, food items in this, flora, fauna, etc.

Even though tossing everything into an ME system works, I like to format my cells and use a row of ME chests so I can see exactly what is inside and not have to scroll or type when Im looking for something specific. My chests are usually sorted this way from left to right:
Plant/animal, misc, blocks, ingots, dust/gems, tech and one unformatted cell in the last ME chest where new items go AKA the "overflow chest". Misc is for ores, paper, sticks and things that dont quite fit in the other categories.

Every so often I empty out the overflow and if its something I will never have more than one of like a machine then I put it into a strongbox so that it doesnt take up a spot in the system. If it is something I am likely to have a lot of then I format it to go on one of the aforementioned cells. I dont need to have easy access to everything so late game I often make a second 'blocks' or 'tech' cell where less useful things go like in the case of the tech, theres items you place in the world and items used only in crafting. When the first tech cell is full I will create another one with only the non-placeable types in it and place it in a drive instead of an ME chest. Thaumcraft and Botania also get their own ME chest and preconfigured cell but they are in separate rooms from the main system.

This system of organization works really well for me, its easy to remember where things are and to figure out where new items go.

Last edited:

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Even though tossing everything into an ME system works, I like to format my cells and use a row of ME chests so I can see exactly what is inside and not have to scroll or type when Im looking for something specific. My chests are usually sorted this way from left to right:
Plant/animal, misc, blocks, ingots, dust/gems, tech and one unformatted cell in the last ME chest where new items go AKA the "overflow chest". Misc is for ores, paper, sticks and things that dont quite fit in the other categories.

Every so often I empty out the overflow and if its something I will never have more than one of like a machine then I put it into a strongbox so that it doesnt take up a spot in the system. If it is something I am likely to have a lot of then I format it to go on one of the aforementioned cells. I dont need to have easy access to everything so late game I often make a second 'blocks' or 'tech' cell where less useful things go like in the case of the tech, theres items you place in the world and items used only in crafting. When the first tech cell is full I will create another one with only the non-placeable types in it and place it in a drive instead of an ME chest. Thaumcraft and Botania also get their own ME chest and preconfigured cell but they are in separate rooms from the main system.

This system of organization works really well for me, its easy to remember where things are and to figure out where new items go.
... Trying playing with that on a server. Within ten minutes, someone has picked a chest to inv-dump in and your entire system is gone.
... Yes, they will break the ME and totally ignore the sorting even though it's hardwired in. :p

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
... Trying playing with that on a server. Within ten minutes, someone has picked a chest to inv-dump in and your entire system is gone.
... Yes, they will break the ME and totally ignore the sorting even though it's hardwired in. :p
If the people you play with are really that ignorant about it and you let them interfere with the core of your sorting system like that, then simply marking the chests with signs(I hope they can at least read) or locking them away behind doors would fix that problem.

Reactions: epidemia78

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019

Well that sounds like a job for the ME security terminal. I wouldnt know, I play ssp.

Reactions: Psychicash

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
If the people you play with are really that ignorant about it and you let them interfere with the core of your sorting system like that, then simply marking the chests with signs(I hope they can at least read) or locking them away behind doors would fix that problem.
... I have tried signs. It improves their behaviour a a little, but it still isn't enough. That's why I'm so excited about Refined Relocation.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

Once the sorting system is inbuilt to the network and the basics (cobble, stone, dirt, sand, gravel, etc.) have their own drives/storage bus, all you need is a master input chest. I prefer using an Ender Chest hooked to an Import Bus, so anyone with a linked pouch can dump inventory from anywhere and let the network do the sorting.

Coupled with Logistics Pipes and a Remote Orderer, a different Ender Chest/Pouch can have anything in your ME delivered to you anywhere as well (including the dump pouch if you don't feel like carrying it).

Reactions: Type1Ninja and rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Coupled with Logistics Pipes and a Remote Orderer, a different Ender Chest/Pouch Random Things "Player Interface" can have anything in your ME delivered to you anywhere as well (including the dump pouch if you don't feel like carrying it).
:p

Indeed and if you have problem with people interfering with your system, then close it up and deny them access to anything but a ME interface and the dropoff Enderchest.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019

Indeed and if you have problem with people interfering with your system, then close it up and deny them access to anything but a ME interface and the dropoff Enderchest.
... Yes to all of this.

On the other hand, any time I try to get everyone to work together they say they're going to start a labor union against me.
This right after they've drained all of our resources on jetpacks, prompting me to enforce restrictions.
Then they ask me to make some weapons for them so they can rebel against me.
*facepalm*
It's all in good fun, of course, but you get the idea.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

Random Things didn't make Infinity, or else I'd be doing that again. I fought my first Wither to get that set up. Well worth it if its available.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
the only "sorting" system I have ever build was in the days of technick ssp. it was a drop off chest witch was connected with redpower to get all the items in chest under ground and if I needed something I used logistics pipes to get the item out said chests.

My friends found it useless when I showed it to them. after that I tried ae1 once but I didn't like it.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
... Yes to all of this.

On the other hand, any time I try to get everyone to work together they say they're going to start a labor union against me.
This right after they've drained all of our resources on jetpacks, prompting me to enforce restrictions.
Then they ask me to make some weapons for them so they can rebel against me.
*facepalm*
It's all in good fun, of course, but you get the idea.

If your community can't manage your resources as a whole, don't fight about it. Lock your system down and tell them to fend for themselves. Eventually you will instill an economy of sorts, which will work itself out. Maybe after running around for 20 minutes looking for materials for that jetpack, they will gain a respect for your service and be more inclined to play along.

You have to figure, the Pilgrims almost died of starvation while trying to do a community garden. As soon as they divided the land and responsibility, they had surplus. Ahh, the lessons of history.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
If your community can't manage your resources as a whole, don't fight about it. Lock your system down and tell them to fend for themselves. Eventually you will instill an economy of sorts, which will work itself out. Maybe after running around for 20 minutes looking for materials for that jetpack, they will gain a respect for your service and be more inclined to play along.

You have to figure, the Pilgrims almost died of starvation while trying to do a community garden. As soon as they divided the land and responsibility, they had surplus. Ahh, the lessons of history.
My "community" is mostly my close friends, and they're only semi-interested in my pack (which is what we play), or even mods in general. They'd just leave. That's part of why I published it; I wanted some feedback from people who are already inclined to be interested. That's also why I would like to see some YouTube LP's, as I've gotten a (small amount of) feedback, but it's all been in text and I haven't yet had any opportunities to watch people play it. Even one of those forum threads where someone posts screenshots of their world as they play would be good.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
My "community" is mostly my close friends, and they're only semi-interested in my pack (which is what we play), or even mods in general. They'd just leave. That's part of why I published it; I wanted some feedback from people who are already inclined to be interested. That's also why I would like to see some YouTube LP's, as I've gotten a (small amount of) feedback, but it's all been in text and I haven't yet had any opportunities to watch people play it. Even one of those forum threads where someone posts screenshots of their world as they play would be good.

I would say your next option after cold turkey would be to only allow access to your network through ME Crafting Terminals and a Master Drop Box (Ender Chest). Keep your physical system well away from those who wouldn't be interested in knowing how or why it works. You as the system admin can tweak neywork performance behind the scenes.

Once you have a basic system up and running as a Soaryn chest, you can sort items by quantity, and then begin formatting storage cells for your heavy hitters. Once you have your formatted storsge, set the new drive's priotity high and run the original storage cells through a I/O Port. This will strip away the formatted materials from the old drives and input it in the correct storage locations. Think of it as manually defragmenting your hard drive.

Once you've done it once, disconnect the new drive from the network and sort by quantity again. This will show you the next list of heavy hitters for formatting. You can also use Inverted View Cells to stop the drive showing in the terminal, I think, but I've not actually played with view cells personally. Once you're happy with it, reconnect your new drives and go.

I recommend formatting at least a 1k drive for anything you have over 500 of, but that's more my personal OCD than anything. Anything that gets its own cell gets placed on a Storage Bus (as @rhn describes above) leading to a trash can. This way any negligent overflow (unfiltered quarry, for instance) doesn't cripple your system. This part is hard for me, as I like to save *EVERYTHING*. You know, just in case someone need 6k leather tunics...

Reactions: rhn

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I would say your next option after cold turkey would be to only allow access to your network through ME Crafting Terminals and a Master Drop Box (Ender Chest). Keep your physical system well away from those who wouldn't be interested in knowing how or why it works. You as the system admin can tweak neywork performance behind the scenes.

Once you have a basic system up and running as a Soaryn chest, you can sort items by quantity, and then begin formatting storage cells for your heavy hitters. Once you have your formatted storsge, set the new drive's priotity high and run the original storage cells through a I/O Port. This will strip away the formatted materials from the old drives and input it in the correct storage locations. Think of it as manually defragmenting your hard drive.

Once you've done it once, disconnect the new drive from the network and sort by quantity again. This will show you the next list of heavy hitters for formatting. You can also use Inverted View Cells to stop the drive showing in the terminal, I think, but I've not actually played with view cells personally. Once you're happy with it, reconnect your new drives and go.

I recommend formatting at least a 1k drive for anything you have over 500 of, but that's more my personal OCD than anything. Anything that gets its own cell gets placed on a Storage Bus (as @rhn describes above) leading to a trash can. This way any negligent overflow (unfiltered quarry, for instance) doesn't cripple your system. This part is hard for me, as I like to save *EVERYTHING*. You know, just in case someone need 6k leather tunics...
Thanks for the advice. It's nice to know that there's so many options out there for this. ^^

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, its a very powerful mod, and it can be a lot to wrap your head around at first, but once you get a handle on it, you never look back.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If you have Extra Cells you can use the Block Container which is a cheap disk which can store only one type of item, but lots of them(520k). Really handy for formatted disk setups for items like cobble, dirt, ingots, etc. But I agree that for most stuff the 1k disk is PLENTY. You very rarely need to store more than 8128 of each type.

Jul 29, 2019
To OP, I completely get what you mean with the "model train" analogy. I personally love Logistics Pipes, and used to use it to sort/organize/automate EVERYTHING. I really like the way it uses modules for different things, rather than blocks for different things, and one of my favorite things about LP are the supplier pipes, simply because it makes it so easy to keep a certain amount of items somewhere (like keeping a boiler full of charcoal). If I remember correctly, you CAN do the same with the ME Interface, but I don't really think its the same. I have used both systems (haven't decided on either for my current world) but I do like to see pipes around my base with items zipping about. I also enjoy having things in chests, just for aesthetic purposes and for the purpose of easily viewing a lot of items at a time (what I mean by that is that I don't like how the ME Crafting Terminal shows like 3 rows of items. I have to SEARCH to check, I can't just open and see. Yes there are ME chests but that defeats the purpose of the ME Drive and the idea of storing billions of items in very little space). Also, I might actually be using RedPower sorting, if it still was a thing. So really, I like seeing pipelines in my base with items flying about, but AE is more compact and is better when your base gets bigger, as having TOO many items flying about does muck up your FPS if you've already got farms and generators running 24/7. Personal (subjective) opinion: LP>AE. (Objective opinion AE>LP).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If I remember correctly, you CAN do the same with the ME Interface, but I don't really think its the same.
It is not the same thing. You can set the ME interface to contain a set number of items. It wont export it out into any attached inventory. It is designed that way to make it possible for you to pipe items out of the ME network with BC pipes etc.

I have used both systems (haven't decided on either for my current world) but I do like to see pipes around my base with items zipping about. I also enjoy having things in chests, just for aesthetic purposes and for the purpose of easily viewing a lot of items at a time (what I mean by that is that I don't like how the ME Crafting Terminal shows like 3 rows of items. I have to SEARCH to check, I can't just open and see. Yes there are ME chests but that defeats the purpose of the ME Drive and the idea of storing billions of items in very little space).
AE and LP are actually designed to work together(AE was made as an extension to LP). AE have obviously grown since, but there are TONS of cross mod compatibilities that makes the decision to use only one or the other a mistake IMO.

And there is NOTHING in AE that prevents you from using chests, barrels, Cabinets etc. AND AE. Use them with storage bus's and you can have old school access to your items together with remote access and quick search/sorting.

AE is SO much more than just a giant black hole(random unformatted disks in a drive) you stuff items into. You just have to actually make it more than that.

Reactions: Inaeo and Ieldra

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I use AE2 with my own custom inventory tweaks sorting, which displays all ingots first then all gems/crystals then blocks, then the rest as misc. Editing your own inv tweaks script to suit your AE2 display needs is definitely the way to go (if not a lot of work working out what's what).