Offline play?

nicktonton

Jul 29, 2019
All I'm staying is that offline mode is a massive loop hole in what FTB want to try and achieve.
Offline mode would benefit many people in different circumstances. FTB can be pirated whether it has offline mode or not, it is ridiculous to make it easier to play a pirated copy of a game than a legit copy. I, myself, do not think that the FTB crew are working to eliminate piracy world-wide, that just isn't possible.

It is already very easy to mod a pirated version of Minecraft, I doubt mod authors approve of this. However, mod authors do approve of using a mod on a private, legit copy of Minecraft. I feel one of the points of the FTB pack was to create a modpack that was mod author approved, a pirated version of a modpack is unlikely to be mod author approved.

As long as FTB isn't condoning pirating versions of the modpack or being unreasonable with the distribution, I think that the goal of a mod author approved modpack is still being met. Not allowing offline mode would be a tad unreasonable imo.

Tl;dr: Piracy exists and is almost always possible, the only way to ensure zero piracy is to not distribute in the first place. A game should not be made unreasonably difficult to play in some situations due to the fact that someone can pirate if they try hard enough.

Note: These are my personal feelings and have not been supported by the FTB team.

ShadowLegion

Jul 29, 2019
i tried to play on ftb before but it wont let me it says username or password invalid i dont know what to do?

Sephrik

Jul 29, 2019
You need to type in the name of your minecraft.net account. If you don't have one, purchase the game to be able to play FTB.

Reactions: polish

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
If you signed up with mojang or transferred your account over to them use your Email address.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Quick related question - are there any mirrors to the creeperhost.com site? The reason I ask is that although offline mode works for me, if I'm trying to play while at work, our firewall blocks access to creeperhost.com (it's listed as a malicious website) so I can't update FTB on my laptop.

Luke_H

Jul 29, 2019
Quick related question - are there any mirrors to the creeperhost.com site? The reason I ask is that although offline mode works for me, if I'm trying to play while at work, our firewall blocks access to creeperhost.com (it's listed as a malicious website) so I can't update FTB on my laptop.
If it's blocking Creeperhost, then it'll more than likely block every other thing going. Look at bypassing the firewall somehow...or even better, do your work :D

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I had a problem with my internet whereby creeperhost.net appeared to be 403'ing me (HTTP Forbidden error code). Even when I downloaded Direwolf20 at work and copied the installation across to my home laptop, it wouldn't let me play even in offline mode. It turned out that the problem was with my internet security software (F-Secure) blocking the web site, which was rather astonishing because I've never had that problem with any other web site and I didn't even know I had that feature turned on, but anyway. The upshot is that if you can connect to creeperhost.net but for some reason can't get any further than that, you can't play offline because it tries to update, fails, and stops at that point.

1. No internet = SSP works ok
2. internet, no Mojang server = SSP works ok
3. Internet, access to creeperhost.net = SSP & SMP works ok
4. Internet, no access to creeperhost.net = nothing works!

So if for some reason your internet works but you can't access creeperhost.net, then you have to break your internet in order to play offline. At least that's my quick conclusion, I haven't explored all the permutations exhaustively.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
If it's blocking Creeperhost, then it'll more than likely block every other thing going. Look at bypassing the firewall somehow...or even better, do your work :D

Are you familiar with how corporate firewalls work? The webfilter has categories of sites that it will block and allow others. *.creeperhost.com is in the "Malicious Websites" category. It's possible it was blacklisted by Websense because a site with the same IP was hosting malicious software, so the whole IP range is blocked. Either way, that doesn't answer my question - are mirrors ever available for these updates? Or even a direct link that I can uncompress into the installation folder?

I don't mean to come off as rude, I'm just saying that just because a site is blocked doesn't mean any site would be blocked. That's not how firewalls work. Oh, and I was on my lunch break :p Haha

Luke_H

Jul 29, 2019
Are you familiar with how corporate firewalls work? The webfilter has categories of sites that it will block and allow others. *.creeperhost.com is in the "Malicious Websites" category. It's possible it was blacklisted by Websense because a site with the same IP was hosting malicious software, so the whole IP range is blocked. Either way, that doesn't answer my question - are mirrors ever available for these updates? Or even a direct link that I can uncompress into the installation folder?

I don't mean to come off as rude, I'm just saying that just because a site is blocked doesn't mean any site would be blocked. That's not how firewalls work. Oh, and I was on my lunch break :p Haha
The only reason I'd see it being black listed is because of the firewalls and protection we hide behind so that when we get ddos'ed it doesn't hurt as bad. You shouldn't even be able to successfully ping creeperhost.net because of the filters we use.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Pinging creeperhost.net [5.133.183.28] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 5.133.183.28: bytes=32 time=79ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 5.133.183.28:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 79ms, Maximum = 79ms, Average = 79ms

I'm really not sure what you mean. Ping works fine for me. Look up WebSense and maybe you can get a better understanding of what I'm talking about. Creeperhost.net is not blocking ICMP requests. Websense is a web filtering platform. It's not the kind of firewall that blocks ports.

In either case, I'm assuming my answer is that there are no mirrors.

Batclone

Jul 29, 2019
I enter in my username/password and press launch, but it says its invalid. I've checked it a bunch of times and have made sure it's correct, but it still says its invalid.

polish

Jul 29, 2019
Pinging creeperhost.net [5.133.183.28] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 5.133.183.28:
Minimum = 79ms, Maximum = 79ms, Average = 79ms

I'm really not sure what you mean. Ping works fine for me. Look up WebSense and maybe you can get a better understanding of what I'm talking about. Creeperhost.net is not blocking ICMP requests. Websense is a web filtering platform. It's not the kind of firewall that blocks ports.

In either case, I'm assuming my answer is that there are no mirrors.

I have performed ping test for creeperhost.net . The results are :

Pinging creeperhost.net [199.83.134.6] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 199.83.134.6: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=51
Reply from 199.83.134.6: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=51
Ping statistics for 199.83.134.6:
Minimum = 61ms, Maximum = 62ms, Average = 61ms

I did this test using whoisxy.com

Empire Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
Well I can get into my ftb main screen but when I try and load a world it freezes at the "Loading World" screen, it's not my pc I play ftb and minecraft all the time but currently I cannot get wifi and cannot play. Also doesn't give me an offline option just says that it can't connect to mojang, minecraft, etc.