Obsidian Pressure Plates

Myrathi

Jul 29, 2019
Any news on the upcoming features?
Yeah... they're "in dev"... because I'm continuously distracted by CPads and my new project. ;) That and one of the features I coded is negated by ThaumCraft's arcane plates and I have to pull it back out. :D (makes much more sense for the functionality to be magical)

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Really like this mod, quite useful.
Just one question, are there any plans to change its design?

As they are now they get a 10 in usefulness, but aesthetically...well they kinda stick out like a sore thumb almost anywhere. xP
I understand they're made out of Obsidian, but that doesn't mean they have to look like just a chopped off slice of it.

There's always adding a "cheap" material to the recipe, to justify a design/ frame on it or something.

I mean, its not a huge deal or anything, but it would be nice.

Myrathi

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, there is. Not the obsidian plate, specifically, but there'll be a new recipe for "shadow plates" - or something - that'll take on the look of the block underneath. Kinda like camouflage. Sorta. :p I have no freakin' idea what the recipe will be, though. -_-

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, there is. Not the obsidian plate, specifically, but there'll be a new recipe for "shadow plates" - or something - that'll take on the look of the block underneath. Kinda like camouflage. Sorta. :p I have no freakin' idea what the recipe will be, though. -_-

What about clay + glass?

Clay for the "shape shifting" aspect of the material and glass for the transparency property to allow it to absorb the look of the block under.
Maybe some soulsand...as it seems like its the closest thing to a "magic" item in vanilla, plus would help players not to get it too early on in the game.

I don't know, this is just off the op of my head.

Myrathi

Jul 29, 2019
I don't dislike those ideas... added to my notes. ;) We shall see! (once I get the rendering squicks worked out). :)

Holyrapid

Jul 29, 2019
So, will this work on servers, and if so, can i install it on a normal server?
Wondering, since i have a normal server where i play with friends, and this would be quite nice to have.

Myrathi

Jul 29, 2019
If, by "normal" server, you mean you're running a "normal forge server." If you're not running forge, you'll need to.

If you check the initial post, though, you'll find downloads for 1.4.2, 1.4.5 and 1.4.6. The 1.4.6 version will also work on 1.4.7, just fine. :)

The mod file is universal, so you use the same file on both client and server (in the /mods folder).

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
If, by "normal" server, you mean you're running a "normal forge server." If you're not running forge, you'll need to.

If you check the initial post, though, you'll find downloads for 1.4.2, 1.4.5 and 1.4.6. The 1.4.6 version will also work on 1.4.7, just fine. :)

The mod file is universal, so you use the same file on both client and server (in the /mods folder).
So, while your here, any news on that new version I heard about a while back?

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I have a minor question. Do people making private packs through the FTB Launcher have permission to use this?

Myrathi

Jul 29, 2019
So, while your here, any news on that new version I heard about a while back?
Yeah: I got distracted by charge pad updates, sign tweaks, villager breeding and quirky liquid transport methods. :p

I have a minor question. Do people making private packs through the FTB Launcher have permission to use this?
ObsidiPlates is released under a CreativeCommons BY-NC-ND license, meaning as long as you provide attribution (i.e. a "by Myrathi" for the mod and a link back to http://bit.ly/ObsidiPlates), don't make any money from its distribution and don't modify it in any way, then you're free to use it in your pack. :)

Reactions: Whovian

Myrathi

Jul 29, 2019
Does this mod have a repo people can take a look at?
Nope. Some of the accompanying scripts have content that I'm not willing to make public.

The release version's code is rather simple, though: it's just a subclass of the existing pressure plates' class, passed a flag that says "only PC triggers me" (which already exists in vanilla -_-) and a block/graphic index that translates to obsidian. Append a bunch of configuration code (so that people can change the associated block ID) and that's pretty much it. :p All the core "pressure plate-y stuff" is done via the existing, untouched vanilla code.

The 1.5.x ObP will have extra stuff in it (see prior posts in this thread for new functionality overview) but the 1.4.7 and earlier releases really are that simple. :)

Kane Hart

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. Some of the accompanying scripts have content that I'm not willing to make public.

The release version's code is rather simple, though: it's just a subclass of the existing pressure plates' class, passed a flag that says "only PC triggers me" (which already exists in vanilla -_-) and a block/graphic index that translates to obsidian. Append a bunch of configuration code (so that people can change the associated block ID) and that's pretty much it. :p All the core "pressure plate-y stuff" is done via the existing, untouched vanilla code.

The 1.5.x ObP will have extra stuff in it (see prior posts in this thread for new functionality overview) but the 1.4.7 and earlier releases really are that simple. :)
As much as I'm scared of these parts of the internet. I come here to thank you for making this mod :)

Reactions: Myrathi

Myrathi

Jul 29, 2019
Finally started my own thread (for all my mods, including ObP). You can find it here. :)

Thanks for the initial post, Tony! :D