Nuclear vs Solar... dafuq?

DWLooney

Jul 29, 2019
If we were going to be uber-realistic then the somnia mod should be put it because it best simulates real life (nuff said)

JZELITE

Jul 29, 2019
HA! XD I have designed a nuclear reactor (requires GregTech) that outputs 5400eu/t and it can run a full cycle with out blowing up, so in essence it is 100% safe although, it generates so much power that it fries 4x insulated HV cable :3

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
HA! XD I have designed a nuclear reactor (requires GregTech) that outputs 5400eu/t and it can run a full cycle with out blowing up, so in essence it is 100% safe although, it generates so much power that it fries 4x insulated HV cable :3

And eats 1 redstone/lapis every 3/5 seconds?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I had an interesting DDoS setup which outputted 1920 EU/t. Of course, it had a whole bunch of 'cooling towers' attached to it, which probably made it not really efficient when compared to your typical 420 EU/t Mk I reactors, but it was Eff 6, so you at least got good mileage out of your Quad-Plutonium cells.

The non-gregtech version outputted 960 EU/t and requires significantly fewer cooling towers, but still isn't as resource-efficient as the 420 EU/t reactor.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You could balance solars out by making it so they accumulate dust over time becoming less efficient to the point of being so caked with dust they stop outputting. Make it so you have to clean it with a special cloth if you need it to be harder.
Then you'd have cheap running easy power but there would be some maintenance involved making it less set'n'forget.

FYI This actually isn't my suggestion, it's one of those no brainer suggestions that everyone asks... I've seen it asked before but I don't know where I first read it.

That or make reactors easier to understand and less finniky. But I wouldn't seriously prescribe that... as reactors are all about finniking about.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I went from charcoal, to steam boilers, magma crucible lava, to thermal gens, methane, nuclear, and finally solar a few days ago. Nuclear reactors are just too underpowered. Of all the systems I've built, the investment/reward is way too low on the nuclear side. Every other system produced far more for the investment in space/time/resources. Keep in mind I also didnt even turn the thing on until I had completely surrounded the thing in tungstensteel blocks and automated it with routers and filters. When it started running I thought to myself "oh is this all?".

Not hard to see why solars look OP in comparison. Nuclear needs a huge boost. It ought to sit between fusion and solar. Best way in my opinion is to reduce solars by a factor of 2, then boost nuclear by a factor of 4 at least.

512 solar vs my one quad uranium reactor at 140. With my recommendation it would become 256 solar and 560 nuclear.

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
I never bother with solars. I can understand the argument that they're OP because they're 1 block that requires no fuel; but in the length of time required to gather the materials to make a single HV solar, you can verrrrry easily build a fully self-sustaining power system that massively outperforms it. My objection to solars isn't that they're OP; it's that they are a bit too simple and dull for my own preference.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
Dunno, I have a nuke reactor in my base just in case somone blocks my panels so i dont have to go outside and die fixing it

What i really want is like, Four guys i can skype with and Co-Op a survival base who know what they're doing
To help me learn, And because that game is absurd if you try to do it on your own, Call me weak or whatever, But i really can't sacrifice the raw time that just grinding away like most of GT requires

mathjazz

Jul 29, 2019
I think that nuclear reactors should produce much more energy than solar panels and geothermals, so I change the config files. I bump nuclear production up a bit and take down the solar's and geothermal's. Solves most of my problems. However, I do like the idea of solar panels breaking over time. Maybe there can be a config option for that too.
I think that config options are the way to go for all of this op/up stuff. Instead of forcing everyone to change the mods because of op stuff, let the players tweak their own stuff.

DarkWasp

Jul 29, 2019
From my experience with power sources, I do think that nuclear reactors should be buffed. Until I moved to Ultimate, which has Mystcraft, I found copper much harder to get (in comparative numbers) than iridium.

When I hooked up my steam boiler to my main base, I took all of my solars and dedicated them exclusively to my matter fab. In addition, I put the ultimate hybrid solar recipe and everything leading up to it into my AE crafting CPU. Aside from a few trips to the nether for glowstone, I could easily spit out more than one ultimate panel per day and at an increasing rate each time due to the fact that I also added those to my matter fab.

And yet, I still wasn't generating as much power as my friend who had set up tons of Geothermal Generators :/

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
On the note of copper, to be fair, IC2 copper gen is about triple that of TE as well can be found much higher and lower.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
On the note of copper, to be fair, IC2 copper gen is about triple that of TE as well can be found much higher and lower.
Doesnt matter what is generated in the world once you get established if there is GT and TE. Just TE lava to a pair of centrifuges from GT and gain infinite copper along with electrum, tin, an tungsten. This also makes iron, gold and silver infinite by centrifuging that.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Doesnt matter what is generated in the world once you get established if there is GT and TE. Just TE lava to a pair of centrifuges from GT and gain infinite copper along with electrum, tin, an tungsten. This also makes iron, gold and silver infinite by centrifuging that.
Don't forget annoying lead. I'm in a need for that and nearly dry on silver and electrum. So going to do good fashion turtle mining.

Xeonen

Jul 29, 2019

And how much does it take to generate 1 copper? 5 minutes? Oh you need 12 stacks of copper, that is great wait for 6 hours in real life.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
An array of centrifuges is the way to do it. Annoying as hell but hey if I want fast coke production then I too gotta get 600+ ovens up and running.