Nuclear vs Solar... dafuq?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that's exactly my point. There is no practical application to having 2,000+EU/t output. An entire machine room filled with GT machines, with duplicates of some for easier automation, might consume 1,000 EU/t if everything is running at the same time. And that just never happens: the most common mode of operation is when I dump in materials from a mining trip, at which point some of the macerators and grinders and whatnot start spinning for a few minutes. After they're done, many hours of nothing.

What matters is, I have a certain limited amount of uranium blocks. I toss these in a reactor, and after a while I get X EU. That EU will have to last until I get more uranium (assuming no other power sources). Getting the power fast enough is not an issue if you have a decent buffer for burst operations - like an MFSU or two. Getting the most power out of a limited resource is usually the deciding factor.

I can't imagine a situation where, using a severely limited resource, I would choose double the EU/t over double total EU output.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Well, that's exactly my point. There is no practical application to having 2,000+EU/t output. An entire machine room filled with GT machines, with duplicates of some for easier automation, might consume 1,000 EU/t if everything is running at the same time. And that just never happens: the most common mode of operation is when I dump in materials from a mining trip, at which point some of the macerators and grinders and whatnot start spinning for a few minutes. After they're done, many hours of nothing.

What matters is, I have a certain limited amount of uranium blocks. I toss these in a reactor, and after a while I get X EU. That EU will have to last until I get more uranium (assuming no other power sources). Getting the power fast enough is not an issue if you have a decent buffer for burst operations - like an MFSU or two. Getting the most power out of a limited resource is usually the deciding factor.

I can't imagine a situation where, using a severely limited resource, I would choose double the EU/t over double total EU output.
The problem with your hyperbole is that you are increasing EU by a factor of 20 and not halving the total EU output, merely reducing efficiency by 14%.

I suggest you read up on breeders, because these will significantly help you maintain your uranium supply. Personally, I've never had a uranium shortage. If you are THAT worried about uranium, and don't mind an EU output of 140 EU/t, just use Geothermal. 7 Geothermal generators run on lava, which is infinitely replenishable, cost far fewer resources to create, less risk of explosion, and in general, sounds more like what would better suit your energy needs.

Some of us, however, enjoy hooking up our MassFab/MatterFab to a reactor for mass UM production.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Probably because it was so OP an energy production method that no one ever wanted to use anything else?

Seriously, CASUC was an exploit, nothing more. I'm glad it was fixed, particularly with the current setups... you could get over 10k EU/t from generators now if CASUC was still in place.

You can still net around 450 EU/t from a MK I reactor now, which is significantly better than the 140 EU/t or so that was the old cap. So there was a significant boost in power generation from non-cheaty methods. It's just the ridiculously OP CASUC methodology that was nerfed.

If you're wanting that kind of output, I'm working on developing a system by which I can shuffle around cooling cells and shunt them into cooling towers (reactors with a bunch of component heat vents). It's similar in concept to a CASUC, only it's reusing the cooling cells. I have run into a couple of SNAFU's with the design, but once I have something fully functional, I'll publish my results. It will require a significant initial resource investment, but it should at least match the old CASUC's power generation output.

EDIT: I may have stumbled onto something similar to CASUC, an intermediary option between Condensators and regular use. 60k Cooling Cells can suck up 60k worth of heating before doing Bad Things. So if it is allowed to do so, then simply voided and new ones crafted, it would be a similar setup. Would be very copper and tin hungry, but it might be worth it in the long run. I'm running the numbers now.

It's wouldn't be an "exploit" anymore since Precipitators now requires MJ to operates and you'd needs 2 Precipitators running at full speed to get a Single ice in the reactor per second. So I would say it'll takes a Tons of ices to keeps a 10k eu/t reactor going if it would be possible now. So if CASUCs were possible it's wouldn't be an exploit anymore simply because Precipitator needs water And MJ to operates. Even if you could wires them up to Electrical Engines to draws from the reactor and you get more eu than it's cost to fabricates ices to cools it. That would means your's getting that extra power for your efforts and resources and doesn't means it's an exploit. The only reason it was because the Precipitators in the past would just produces ices for "free" and now in addition to water you'll have to forks out 80 MJ per ice fabricated. Just like freezing water in ice trays in your home freezer it's takes power to do so.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It's wouldn't be an "exploit" anymore since Precipitators now requires MJ to operates and you'd needs 2 Precipitators running at full speed to get a Single ice in the reactor per second. So I would say it'll takes a Tons of ices to keeps a 10k eu/t reactor going if it would be possible now. So if CASUCs were possible it's wouldn't be an exploit anymore simply because Precipitator needs water And MJ to operates. Even if you could wires them up to Electrical Engines to draws from the reactor and you get more eu than it's cost to fabricates ices to cools it. That would means your's getting that extra power for your efforts and resources and doesn't means it's an exploit. The only reason it was because the Precipitators in the past would just produces ices for "free" and now in addition to water you'll have to forks out 80 MJ per ice fabricated. Just like freezing water in ice trays in your home freezer it's takes power to do so.
Or you could just use the snow golem method of infinite snowballs via transposers then sent through compressors... like what they did long before TE hit the scene. Assuming you didn't use EE2, but that's just EE2 being EE2.

DWLooney

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even bother with solars, in my mind they're too OP no matter the cost. It's the same thing as EE2 where it took forever to get the good stuff but once you do it's too OP. I'm going nuclear all the way to get my UUM, made myself protected nuclear chamber which took some serious thaumcraft research (made it out of warded stone) and enough room for 3 reactors for now. Then made each one output 260 eu/t and we're in business, did it take a long time? hell yeah...used all my copper mined from 4 max sized quarries....but no longer OP :)
Sorry, I just had to correct this.
OP is, by definition, only true when the amount of power/energy/playtime being produced exceeds that of real life. AT THE MOST.
It IS true, contrary to what some people think, that solar panels make free electricity in the real world.
I guess the only thing that would make this more realistic is to add maintenance costs of some sort or another.
Your entitled to your own opinion, however, but in mine, solars aren't so OP.
(If uu matter wasn't so OP then I guess this comment would be a moot point)

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
The proper definition of OP in Minecraft is as follows:

An item is OP when: the person in the neighboring plot on my server did something in a way different than I would have done it, and got better results. I am flawless; hence, the item they used is henceforth, and forevermore shall be, OP.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Yea, that Ef7 Mk I reactor might be efficient, but 7 Geothermal generators would take up roughly the same space and run on lava instead of requiring diamonds, iridium, a stack or so of gold, and runs on lava for the same EU output.

In my personal opinion, nuclear is only really 'viable' for high EU output generators, at a minimum the upper end of HV power output. The Mk I generator producing 420 EU/t is a good example of such. That is, in my opinion, the best design I have found so far, and the benchmark for comparing any system I come up with.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
You can easily make EA nuclear reactors at 400 eu/t (uranium) that don't use any iridium.

TruculentMC

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe it's just me, but that's a whole lot of iridium for just 140 eu/t.

You need the Iridium Neutronreflectors anyways to make Fusion Coils, may as well put them to use while grinding Chrome and the rest of the materials...

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
The definition of OP in Minecraft: Somebody did something differently than me, he shouldn't be allowed to do that because it's OP! Pow pow OP fight.

It would be nice if people would start to understand that someone having a different opinion than you do (on whatever topic) doesn't mean they want to dictate how you play. They just disagree. I fully agree that Solars and Geothermals with Nether-lava are too OP and don't really 'fit' a setting where you have to put in effort to get EU/MJ. However, that just means I have a different opinion, not that I want to dictate how you play. I just personally avoid them in favor of more complex setups. I mean, isn't the whole purpose of FTB to build complex rube-goldberg-like devices? :)

Reactions: Roady

huldu

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 and Gregtech are both way too op. A server without those mods is a good server imo. Any sort of "free" power generation that comes from a mod is just straight op, doesn't matter how you try to twist and turn the subject. As for nuclear reactors... I mean come on, one guy building a "safe" reactor? Oh please. Give me a break.

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 and Gregtech are both way too op. A server without those mods is a good server imo. Any sort of "free" power generation that comes from a mod is just straight op, doesn't matter how you try to twist and turn the subject. As for nuclear reactors... I mean come on, one guy building a "safe" reactor? Oh please. Give me a break.
Down with this thing called fun. Up with the great "OP," for I must GRIND. After all. What's the point of a game if it doesn't have all the wonderful drag of real life?

Reactions: Entropy

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
IMO, If you can put (or automate) and forget a power system (and ofc if this power system is enough as in you don't need to worry about power anymore), you can call that power system as OP, no matter if it's windmill, solar, nether lava energy, nuclear power+bee farm, automated forestry farm, watermill, automated fusion reactor etc..

But I don't think it's wrong to reach this OPness as long as there's a reasonable effort that is needed to be done..

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
My belief with "OP" is that only you can make it OP. If you want to just slap some solars down and call it quits for the rest of your EU generating career, be my guest. If you want some complex nuclear reactor that took some deep thought and math to build, be my guest.

There really is no OP in a sandbox game. You may say that doubling your ores is too OP. You may say its not good enough. Your call. You don't have to use it if you don't want.

Just don't get OP confused with exploits (IC2 macerator with blaze rods and EE2).[DOUBLEPOST=1359174490][/DOUBLEPOST]In my personal opinion, nuclear reactors do need to be buffed a bit with advanced solars. They're just not useful enough with the solars around. Free, sustainable energy with no maintenence sure beats reactors.

Reactions: dwappo

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You keep using that word, but I don't think it means what you think it means...

Reactions: Abdiel

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019

Wait what? I have no words for this statement. You're spergin' pretty hard man.

Reactions: arkangyl