nuclear reactor

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

kk258966

Jul 29, 2019
i have been playing with nuclear reactor these days
and i found that most thorium reactor won't work due to gregtech 2.90h
im playing in ultimate 1.1.2

is there any design that i can use ,
im looking for thorium reactor that output 400~500EU/t and
not using condensator.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
i have been playing with nuclear reactor these days
and i found that most thorium reactor won't work due to gregtech 2.90h
im playing in ultimate 1.1.2

is there any design that i can use ,
im looking for thorium reactor that output 400~500EU/t and
not using condensator.

6-chamber DDoS (that is impossible to keep up the supply of thorium needed).

kk258966

Jul 29, 2019
6-chamber DDoS (that is impossible to keep up the supply of thorium needed).

i have 2000+ thorium dust in my ME system and 4 quarry running 24/7....that gives me alot ...
to my opinion, thorium is easier to get then uranium. that's why im looking for a thorium reactor

Moonridden

Jul 29, 2019
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...t1luj391flilpcdmynpx68jga16lmrizk3cxyb5ci7o5c

So heres the setup I developed... 419 eu/t for 13 hours 53 minutes and 20 seconds.
This is a Thorium / Plutonium Hybrid... I was having serious issues getting EU that high without uranium or plutonium... Opted for 3 Plutonium Cells with this one. I'm gonna try for a thorium only build with that good EU output.

Realized you requested sans-condensator... However this setup hardly uses any pull on the condensator, using this setup repeatedly you could probably get a couple dozen uses out of it. I will try to rebuild this design for sans-condensator.

Moonridden

Jul 29, 2019
Your reactor isnt a Mark 1. It would require maintenance and/or nuclear control to keep it stable. Sure it has high power gen, but it isnt practical :p

Edit: Could be feasible as emergency backup power.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
Your reactor isnt a Mark 1. It would require maintenance and/or nuclear control to keep it stable. Sure it has high power gen, but it isnt practical :p

Edit: Could be feasible as emergency backup power.

Like I said, CRCS. Use AE to import export the coolant to cooling towers.

kk258966

Jul 29, 2019
OP, why dont you want to use condensators?

one or two is fine , but two many is hard to automate it since im running out of space in my base and im using it for my matterfab,
also im running out of EU to keep my AE system working[DOUBLEPOST=1377323417][/DOUBLEPOST]
Obviously you cant supply the lapis needed.

i "maybe" can....4 quarry running....not sure though...
7000+thorium atm
that's why im looking for thorium design ,
but i also notice that thorium is broken on this version...
so im wondering if theres any design that still can be used

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
one or two is fine , but two many is hard to automate it since im running out of space in my base and im using it for my matterfab,
also im running out of EU to keep my AE system working[DOUBLEPOST=1377323417][/DOUBLEPOST]

i "maybe" can....4 quarry running....not sure though...
7000+thorium atm
that's why im looking for thorium design ,
but i also notice that thorium is broken on this version...
so im wondering if theres any design that still can be used

Uranium. else not really.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
It would be better to go for something sustainable.... Given that thorium reactors are less volatile than its other nuclear counterparts, the management of them is simple. Why not invest into several 6-chamber Mark I reactors. I could probably keep 3-4 of these 6-chamber reactors running indefinitely. They produce ~120 EU/t each, so that's ~ 500 EU/t.

If you aren't producing uranium outside of what you are mining, it'd be best to use your excess thorium in a slow-consumption process to supplement any uranium builds you have going. Turning a single uranium ore into 8 depleted cells, then re-enriching them is a great way to get the best mileage out of your uranium. It is also more sustainable and less reliant on "getting it" from your quarry.

Though, 7000 thorium is a fuck ton. That's ~ 1700 quad cells. Each of my Mark I reactors take 10 quad cells, so you have 170 of those.... (20 000 EU/t)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
(two design suggestions)

Those are bad designs for multiple reasons:
- You can get the same cooling output for a lot less cost
- In GregTech 2.90h, the "hybrid effect" bug that caused thorium and plutonium to multiply each other's power output was fixed, and thus the numbers in the reactor planner are not what you get ingame.
- In GregTech 2.90h, plutonium was changed to have completely different stats, and thus the numbers in the reactor planner are not what you get ingame.
- In GregTech 2.90h, thorium is severely bugged and only scale up in heat when you group them up but not in output, and thus the numbers in the reactor planner are not what you get ingame.

(Riuga's suggestions are invalid for the same reasons.)

2.90h is a beta builld that was meant to be a preview/testbed for 1.5.x features, and not meant for regular gameplay. It's broken in several places, nuclear reactors being the most egregious case.

If you want to build a thorium reactor in that version, you need to build one with as many thorium quad cells as you can fit without any of them touching each other. You're not going to see more than the most miniscule extra power from grouping them up, but your heat output will go through the roof if you do. That means that sadly, efficiency 3 is the best you're realistically going to get, but at least the reactors will be reasonably cheap because thorium's heat output is fairly low. You may be able to get away with just spamming OC vents and thorium cells in a grid pattern; let me check ingame if that works.

EDIT: unfortunately the grid pattern doesn't work as it makes the cells spread their heat in a manner too unfocused, and that overloads some of the OC vents. You can however do this: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...zmnt7uua0qr9saax3uwfwcn9imn6uvu803xmg2gwk8d1c

Shows up as failing in the reactor planner, but ingame it is stable because the base values for thorium have also changed. This is the cheapest possible setup that can cool this many thorium quad cells, costing just 580 copper, 183 iron and 36 gold for an output of 216 EU/t. You'll notice that it's a repeating pattern; you can also use it in 0-chamber or 3-chamber reactors, but from a build cost perspective one six-chamber is cheaper than three 0-chambers (unless space is a concern).

It's not suited for automation as is - you'll need to fill up the empty spaces with something cheap that doesn't interfere with the heat transfer, such as reactor plating or component vents.

Reactions: kk258966 and Riuga

kk258966

Jul 29, 2019
Those are bad designs for multiple reasons:
- You can get the same cooling output for a lot less cost
- In GregTech 2.90h, the "hybrid effect" bug that caused thorium and plutonium to multiply each other's power output was fixed, and thus the numbers in the reactor planner are not what you get ingame.
- In GregTech 2.90h, plutonium was changed to have completely different stats, and thus the numbers in the reactor planner are not what you get ingame.
- In GregTech 2.90h, thorium is severely bugged and only scale up in heat when you group them up but not in output, and thus the numbers in the reactor planner are not what you get ingame.

(Riuga's suggestions are invalid for the same reasons.)

2.90h is a beta builld that was meant to be a preview/testbed for 1.5.x features, and not meant for regular gameplay. It's broken in several places, nuclear reactors being the most egregious case.

If you want to build a thorium reactor in that version, you need to build one with as many thorium quad cells as you can fit without any of them touching each other. You're not going to see more than the most miniscule extra power from grouping them up, but your heat output will go through the roof if you do. That means that sadly, efficiency 3 is the best you're realistically going to get, but at least the reactors will be reasonably cheap because thorium's heat output is fairly low. You may be able to get away with just spamming OC vents and thorium cells in a grid pattern; let me check ingame if that works.

EDIT: unfortunately the grid pattern doesn't work as it makes the cells spread their heat in a manner too unfocused, and that overloads some of the OC vents. You can however do this: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...zmnt7uua0qr9saax3uwfwcn9imn6uvu803xmg2gwk8d1c

Shows up as failing in the reactor planner, but ingame it is stable because the base values for thorium have also changed. This is the cheapest possible setup that can cool this many thorium quad cells, costing just 580 copper, 183 iron and 36 gold for an output of 216 EU/t. You'll notice that it's a repeating pattern; you can also use it in 0-chamber or 3-chamber reactors, but from a build cost perspective one six-chamber is cheaper than three 0-chambers (unless space is a concern).

It's not suited for automation as is - you'll need to fill up the empty spaces with something cheap that doesn't interfere with the heat transfer, such as reactor plating or component vents.

thanks a lot this helped me a lot
im not really worried about efficiency, since im having 4 quarry running 24/7
just need to make quite a few reactor though
thanks for the help