Nuclear Reactor Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...i5449pg0ej7ebs3hdo4dkhdywiomelcnt44jji1lmycxs
Came up with that thorium/plutonium reactor. Haven't tested in creative yet seeing I still need to automate the condensators. Thoughts on this design?
No offence, but its complete crap. You can get much better efficiency than that even without condensators. You'd be better off with something like this - great power output, great efficiency, and doesn't need as many condensators. You need the OC heat vents to dissipate any heat that builds up from the brief moment that the condensators are being switched. You could also replace the neutron reflectors with single thorium cells to act as cheap alternatives as well as give a small amount of extra power.

LegendofMo

Jul 29, 2019
No offence, but its complete crap. You can get much better efficiency than that even without condensators. You'd be better off with something like this - great power output, great efficiency, and doesn't need as many condensators. You need the OC heat vents to dissipate any heat that builds up from the brief moment that the condensators are being switched. You could also replace the neutron reflectors with single thorium cells to act as cheap alternatives as well as give a small amount of extra power.
Well thanks for that. I will definitely be using that setup. That was actually my first time EVER having plutonium in one of my own setups. I've never used plutonium or condensators as I am too lazy to automate stuff. But I guess if I want a reactor to power a matter fab automation is almost a necessity.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Full stupid indeed, 'cause it'll devastate your base in short order ;) It's a reactor planner theorycraft design that doesn't work in actual gamepl....

...so why did it run perfectly fine in my test world?
Automation is a bit tricky mind, you need to turn off for a few secs when you switch out the condensers- so theres no heat buildup...​

I've got a strong feeling Dire went through several test worlds perfecting his reactor before building it in his LP. (or several backups for his LP world)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
...so why did it run perfectly fine in my test world?
Automation is a bit tricky mind, you need to turn off for a few secs when you switch out the condensers- so theres no heat buildup...

Because you were lucky that the reactor did not run a reactor tick in the same game tick that a condensator was missing; the chance is about 5%. Or maybe you got a few, but not enough to significantly heat up the reactor. Did you check with a thermometer if any heat buildup happened over time? It's especially likely to happen if a lot of condensators need to get replaced at once.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Because you were lucky that the reactor did not run a reactor tick in the same game tick that a condensator was missing; the chance is about 5%. Or maybe you got a few, but not enough to significantly heat up the reactor. Did you check with a thermometer if any heat buildup happened over time? It's especially likely to happen if a lot of condensators need to get replaced at once.

Reactors don't tick when their turned off.

...ation is a bit tricky mind, you need to turn off for a few secs when you switch out the condensers- so theres no heat buil...​

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Ooh, I see. Yeah, you'll lose some EU/t and you'll have to do precise math to determine your replacement interval, but it's possible to run as a microcycle reactor with some finagling.

I was assuming constant operation.