Nuclear Reactor Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

LegendofMo

Jul 29, 2019
Seeing I simply cannot find this anywhere else, I was wondering if one of you'd be up to the challenge. What I am looking for is a HV-EV Ic2 nuclear reactor in which can keep a matter fabricator running at an efficient speed. I would prefer it to be a thorium or uranium reactor, but plutonium isn't out of reach for me. Anyone up for the task? And I would try to keep the condensators down a bit as I do not like using lapis or redstone to keep them going.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
This is nearly the best you can get while still being efficient and getting a good amount of energy.
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...hz1wpiyjp8vtdslza80m00drdsvntps8fdm4xmr3ydlhc

A good supply of 420 eu/t. If you're looking for something that outputs in the thousands, then you will have to use condensators I believe. If you want to get really efficient and still use nuclear power, I suggest making several 100 eu/t reactors with this design.
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...qr867wl4ylcn4qdoix3yd83b78y8enonfoolys5g23280

That's the most efficient you can get, I think. No running costs either, and only 6 uranium per cycle. And they are cheap too and use only one chamber. A dozen of them will provide a consistent 1200 eu/t provided they are getting enough uranium. I highly recommend you look into them; if you are interested in more designs, you should head over to the IC2 Forums Nuclear Reactor design thread, which can be found here:
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=8966

I'm glad people are still using Nuclear power these days, most people just take the cheap route with geothermals+ pump.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
You cannot make "a reactor" with HV or greater output and not use condensators or CRCS. Period. You simply do not have enough room for internal cooling.

What you can do, however, is making multiple reactors. Try running a forum search on "tower of power" here.

Reactions: Loufmier and Riuga

LegendofMo

Jul 29, 2019
Okay so condesnators are a must... I can probably do that just need to find a LOT of lapis to fortune...
Well thanks guys I will try those!

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Okay so condesnators are a must... I can probably do that just need to find a LOT of lapis to fortune...
Well thanks guys I will try those!
Do you realise how much lapis you'll need? As an example, look at this high power reactor. It produces 5376 heat per second (it says per tick, but its definitely per second, not per tick). This means over the 10,000 second lifetime of the reactor, 53,760,000 heat will be produced. Each lapis cools 40,000 heat, meaning you'll need 1344 lapis (21 stacks) of it per cycle. A lot.

LegendofMo

Jul 29, 2019
I already have about 800 lapis from the 64x64 quarries I set up. I also use fortune to mine out the walls. Lapis shouldn't be too hard to get as I have some branch mines under my base

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Full stupid indeed, 'cause it'll devastate your base in short order ;) It's a reactor planner theorycraft design that doesn't work in actual gameplay, for the same reason detailed here.

95% of all condensator reactors I come across have this issue. A lot of people who design them have never run a nuclear reactor ingame before. In fact, only Direwolf20 (of all people!) managed to get it right the first time. You simply need to set aside some slots for internal vents - not many, two or three OC ones will do, but you absolutely can't run without.

If you can afford a reflector or two, you could try something like this coupled with very attentive babysitting during the first couple condensator swaps: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...gbez1uxu66y3356xvus3dw1hdnl4kq4ywab4lxvgzng1s

But of course you still don't have enough plutonium anyway. :p

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Full stupid indeed, 'cause it'll devastate your base in short order ;) It's a reactor planner theorycraft design that doesn't work in actual gameplay, for the same reason detailed here.

95% of all condensator reactors I come across have this issue. A lot of people who design them have never run a nuclear reactor ingame before. In fact, only Direwolf20 (of all people!) managed to get it right the first time. You simply need to set aside some slots for internal vents - not many, two or three OC ones will do, but you absolutely can't run without.

If you can afford a reflector or two, you could try something like this coupled with very attentive babysitting during the first couple condensator swaps: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...gbez1uxu66y3356xvus3dw1hdnl4kq4ywab4lxvgzng1s

But of course you still don't have enough plutonium anyway. :p
You say you only need a couple of OC vents, but I tried running this reactor just now in a test world and they all melted. Though it may be to do with my setup for repairing the condensators. After replacing it with this it works fine. Of course all of the OC vents are complete overkill, but given my earlier design didn't work I thought i'd be safe.

Now why didn't I think of using a witch soul shard before?

EDIT: Just thought i'd add, AE makes automating this reactor a piece of cake. A lot simpler than DW20's setup anyway.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
DW20's setup has the advantage of much shorter condensator replacement times (golems move items more or less instantly if they stand adjacent to both source and destination), therefore cutting down on the time they are out of the reactor, meaning you accrue less heat ticks and need less vents to handle things. With my AE system I experience reaction times that can be pretty random, anywhere from near-instant to several seconds before a bus notices there is work to do. I would never trust AE with time critical tasks ;)

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
DW20's setup has the advantage of much shorter condensator replacement times (golems move items more or less instantly if they stand adjacent to both source and destination), therefore cutting down on the time they are out of the reactor, meaning you accrue less heat ticks and need less vents to handle things. With my AE system I experience reaction times that can be pretty random, anywhere from near-instant to several seconds before a bus notices there is work to do. I would never trust AE with time critical tasks ;)
Ok, so I'm using golems to automate the removal and replacement of the condensators and it works perfectly. However, there's a slight problem. I'm using a witch soul shard to provide redstone, then using a tome of alkahest to make it into lapis. However, I haven't been able to find an effective way of doing this automatically. Everything i've tried will either pull the tome of alkahest out of the inventory, or refuse to craft at all. Does anyone know of something that works? Failing that, are there any other ways of getting massive quantities of lapis (other than bees, you need about 10 alvearies for them to work).

Incidentally, this is one of two times I wish I had xycraft installed, the fabricators would make this a doddle.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
You will not be able to sustain the lapis production unless you use some of that energy to produce lapis from UU. That would mean having a very efficient reactor as well.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
You will not be able to sustain the lapis production unless you use some of that energy to produce lapis from UU. That would mean having a very efficient reactor as well.
Not an option unfortunately, i've got GT installed. Even though I lowered the amount of energy needed to make UU matter in the configs, it seems like such a waste. The whole point of this is to make good power and efficiency, which it won't be if you need to waste energy on cooling it.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Not an option unfortunately, i've got GT installed. Even though I lowered the amount of energy needed to make UU matter in the configs, it seems like such a waste. The whole point of this is to make good power and efficiency, which it won't be if you need to waste energy on cooling it.
Ah, with GT it's not possible. Cooling using lapis will not be sustainable. If you want to produce, at a high efficiency, a lot of energy from the limited uranium you have, go for it. I can guarantee you that you will not be able to mine 20 stacks of lapis/cycle, it won't happen.

An alternative is to use helium coolant cells and finding a way to automate the cycling of those. I'm sure DW20's golem solution can be adapted into using those. You just need to come up with a way to get all that helium (rubies, iirc).

Though, if you have the ability to produce a lot of copper (I centrifuge lava that I generate myself), it might be more worth your time to create multiple, lower EU-high efficiency reactors, which only running cost is the copper used to turn uranium cells into quads. Once you have a good stockpile of uranium, re-enriching the depleted cells and doing the 1 uranium = 8 nearly depleted uranium cells, might be sustainable as well. (i.e. One uranium ore can be turned into 8 cells, using a breeder reactor. The only costs is the uranium cell used in the breeding process. Overall, depending on the heat of your breeder, you might produce 7.99 uranium cells per uranium ore.)

I am on my way to radioactive bees.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
An alternative is to use helium coolant cells and finding a way to automate the cycling of those. I'm sure DW20's golem solution can be adapted into using those. You just need to come up with a way to get all that helium (rubies, iirc).

I guess, though it would be difficult. You can't just wait for the cells to reach maximum heat since this causes them to break (unlike condensators). Not only that, you either have horrendous upfront costs with reactors to cool the cells, or you waste a bunch of EU with a vacuum freezer. I think i'll just go with condensators; its not like the reactor needs to be running constantly anyway. I'll just make the lapis between cycles.

Of course, I could just spam low output, 0-chamber reactors but where's the fun in that?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it isn't really spamming them. Automating multiple 6-chambers and the re-enrichment of cells isn't not-fun. There is still a considerable starting costs for these reactors.

That being said, I think golems can read in the damage info on the item. I am not sure of to which the extent that precise buses can be configured to read in damage info, but that's another option too. You don't have to wait till they're depleted. Even DW20s video had the golem placing 80% filled condensators in, due to the fact that two lapis brings the condensator to 80% and a third piece would be half-wasted.