Not using IC2 in a game.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Daniel Avis

Jul 29, 2019
Now while I like IC2, I wanted to try a game that doesn't have IC2. Just mainly using XYcraft, Buildcraft, thermal expansion and redpower as the main mods.

The only downsides to this are:
1) No advanced armors (nano/quantum).
2) No power storage buffers (MFE/MFSU)
3) No Jetpack (this tbh is a major one).
4) No solar energy in BC/thermal expansion, although redpower does have a RP->BC engine.

I like the idea of steam, but I dont want to add the whole Railcraft mod just to get steam.

My thoughts on rectifying the issues above are to find separate mods for all of them.

But i'm having a tough time finding ones as most people use ic2, so any suggestions would be great.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
1) Thaumcraft armours might be advanced enough for you if you're considering adding TC3, or maybe something from the Twilight Forest if you're adding that?
2) Redstone energy cells are power storage buffers for BC power.
3) I think Powersuits can be used with BC power - you didn't mention this mod, it's an option. (Could also be an option for 1) as well).
4) Hmm! (If you're willing to try steam instead you could use TE steam engines).

Daniel Avis

Jul 29, 2019
Well I feel the UU-Matter was a bit of a cheat anyway, same with Equivalent Exchange (4x Iron for an ender pearl???). So I wont be using either of them.

Daniel Avis

Jul 29, 2019
1) Thaumcraft armours might be advanced enough for you if you're considering adding TC3, or maybe something from the Twilight Forest if you're adding that?
2) Redstone energy cells are power storage buffers for BC power.
3) I think Powersuits can be used with BC power - you didn't mention this mod, it's an option. (Could also be an option for 1) as well).
4) Hmm! (If you're willing to try steam instead you could use TE steam engines).

Thaumcraft/Twilight Forrest will be included, but how do those armors compare to the Nano/Quantum?

I did forget about the Redstone Energy Cell, as I was using Tesseracts a lot instead. So thats an option.

If Powersuits works with BC power then i'll use that. Not sure how to charge them up though, as previously I was using the chargepads mod (rather then removing items and placing in the MFE/MFSU).

Is steam seperate from Railcraft, or do I have to use the whole mod?[DOUBLEPOST=1364996258][/DOUBLEPOST]
16.667mil eu= 1 UU matter seem fair so it's isn't as "cheap" as EE3.

Thats with gregtech, with vanilla IC2 its only 1mil from the Mass Fabricator.

Also if I'm not using IC2 then Gregtech isnt needed (as I dont intend to use gregtech anyway).

quantumllama

Jul 29, 2019
I use Modular Powersuits ( which I love ) and apart from the Drills that run on energy and charging my powersuits I find that Thermal Expansion machines have similar ( if not better with custom face outputs ) functionality while sharing the same power system with Buildcraft, Railcraft and the like.

I generally just go for MJ as my power system of choice and put some Geothermal Generators for the EU needed to keep my tools and powersuits ... well, powered.

Oh and I don't use Gregtech, of course.

Reactions: trimagnus

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft/Twilight Forrest will be included, but how do those armors compare to the Nano/Quantum?

Not sure, I haven't used them extensively, I think they're better than diamond though, which is what you seem to be looking for.

If Powersuits works with BC power then i'll use that. Not sure how to charge them up though, as previously I was using the chargepads mod (rather then removing items and placing in the MFE/MFSU).
I'm not sure that's in yet (I haven't played with this mod yet)

Is steam seperate from Railcraft, or do I have to use the whole mod?
TE Steam is different, it's here.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I love Railcraft with TE; I wouldn't consider can't imagine using steam power without the two mods together TE without Railcraft at this point.
+ oh and Steve's Carts 2...
++ and Applied Energistics!!

:D

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
How do you charge Power Suits with BC MJ power? Because I know with IC2 you can use charge pads or just stick it in some form of power storage/generator, but there isn't really anything like that for MJ power as far as I know.

If you can do that though Power Suits can replace most of the things IC2's tools and suits do. TE's redstone cells can store MJ power (which without IC2 would probably be your main power source), so the only real thing you'd miss out on would be Solar/UUM.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
How do you charge Power Suits with BC MJ power? Because I know with IC2 you can use charge pads or just stick it in some form of power storage/generator, but there isn't really anything like that for MJ power as far as I know.

If you can do that though Power Suits can replace most of the things IC2's tools and suits do.

I'm not sure whether it's in yet, but I did read somewhere (that I can't remember where from...) that it's planned. It might even be in a version that we don't have in the FTB packs yet. (Sorry for being so vague).

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure whether it's in yet, but I did read somewhere (that I can't remember where from...) that it's planned. It might even be in a version that we don't have in the FTB packs yet. (Sorry for being so vague).

No problem, I read that as well and I wasn't sure either ^^ But from reading (sloppy reading that is, I must admit) some posts here I got the idea it was already usable.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019

If you can do that though Power Suits can replace most of the things IC2's tools and suits do. TE's redstone cells can store MJ power (which without IC2 would probably be your main power source), so the only real thing you'd miss out on would be Solar/UUM.

If you have the power converters mod installed (it's in ultimate) there is a charge pad that works quite well without actually requiring IC2 to be installed, otherwise at this point it does require IC2 power to charge.

Daniel Avis

Jul 29, 2019
I love Railcraft with TE; I wouldn't consider can't imagine using steam power without the two mods together TE without Railcraft at this point.
+ oh and Steve's Carts 2...
++ and Applied Energistics!!
:D

I just saw the direwolf20 spotlight on Applied Energistics, and wow it looks to be a good mod. It almost replaces the logistic pipes mod but has a few things needed/changed.

1) Remove the distance limit on remote ordering, as currently with logistic pipes I can order FAR from the base and have it supplied into an ender chest (at the base), with which I can access the chest with the same coded Ender pouch.

2) Definitely needs to reduce the power consumption, as having a basic system would use up HUGE amounts of power. Once the logistic pipes box is filled with energy (2 Million LP), I dont need to refill it at all.

Back to the original topic:

Seems the powersuit mod has a list of "todo" which includes:-

Energy interactions:
  1. Buildcraft/ThermEx
  2. UE
  3. Factorization?
  4. Redpower?

So seems with a special tool, you can extract power from a device. I would just settle with being able to power the suit using the tinker table. So I might wait and just use thaumcraft armor etc, until its finished.

Reactions: trimagnus

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Now while I like IC2, I wanted to try a game that doesn't have IC2. Just mainly using XYcraft, Buildcraft, thermal expansion and redpower as the main mods.

The only downsides to this are:
1) No advanced armors (nano/quantum).
2) No power storage buffers (MFE/MFSU)
3) No Jetpack (this tbh is a major one).
4) No solar energy in BC/thermal expansion, although redpower does have a RP->BC engine.

I like the idea of steam, but I dont want to add the whole Railcraft mod just to get steam.

My thoughts on rectifying the issues above are to find separate mods for all of them.

But i'm having a tough time finding ones as most people use ic2, so any suggestions would be great.

Why not just swap in the Universal Electricity pack for IC2+GT+Gravi? It works with well with MPS, and it's a little known fact that the Mekanism energy cubes can emit MJ which AE can understand. So you can power pretty much any MJ machine directly with UE using Energy Cubes (and pellets) as an adapter. Similarly, energy cubes can accept MJ and emit electricity (and this is why they are substantially more expensive than batter boxes, btw). And stuff like MineFactory Reloaded actually accepts UE natively now, so you really can have a ton of options.

UE as a pack is very underestimated. It's got a lot of fantastic features. I dunno if you have ever seen some of the endgame parts of Atomic Science, but they're cool. They also allow for all the same steam-friendly mechanics you're used to from the railcraft-friendly MJ mods; which means Factorization now plays really well with this pack mechanically (although perhaps it's harder to justify what Charge is). And the addition of Syntacraft (which should have a release soon) and GalactiCraft mean that modworld is opening up pretty substantially.

Full disclosure: I'm working on a pack that does this (and a bunch of other stuff, which is why it's not done).