Not Sure What To Include In House?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Danwatson

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone, so I've recently been contemplating on how I should build my base? I have a cave entrance that I have just carved out that I will soon replace with stone bricks to help improve the asthetics of the exterior. My only problem is I have no idea how I should lay out my base and what I should include!

If you guys could post your base designs (Have to look nice, not just square boxes) in reply to this thread in an attempt to give me some inspiration that would be amazing!

OR!​
You could generate the world for yourself (Seed is 5789395713249358032) and go-to the coordinates of my future base and play around with some designs yourself! (The coords are X:335 Y:80 Z:2)​
Below are some pictures to show what I was describing earlier ;D​
Not sure why it duped the photos..​
Thanks everyone!​
2013-03-06_21.03.32.png
2013-03-06_21.04.11.png
2013-03-06_21.03.32.png
2013-03-06_21.03.32.png
2013-03-06_21.04.11.png
2013-03-06_21.04.11.png2013-03-06_21.03.32.png2013-03-06_21.04.11.png

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Well, obviously, I suggest you include some tech. Some automated farms out front, some ore processing machines in the house, also some other awesome machines inside. Not knowing which modpack you're playing, I don't know what your limitations are.

Reactions: Guswut

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
I would certainly recommend using some of the new XyCraft blocks to really spice up your base, and give it a nice glow at night so you can always find it. I also find that in caves, putting the XyCraft crystals every so often makes for a really cool lighting system. Be careful now though, because in the most recent versions the crystals will poke you, causing a bit of damage. Putting them on the ceiling should solve that issue, unless you plan to do a lot of really high jumping. As for what to include, you should put some basic machines for ore processing and an area for crafting tables (Project tables work wonders for me). Hope this helps!

Hitmaniac

Jul 29, 2019
Heres some ideas to include in your base:

• Area for Coke Ovens and Blast Furnaces. I think you should reserve area for two of each as steel is important.
  • Power Area, This could be a place to store your boilers, Lava power plant, etc.
  • Farming Area, You could have a manual farm, thaumcraft farm, forestry farm, etc.
  • Liquid Tanks room/area, You want a place to store liquids in good quantities.
  • Assembly Table Room
  • Forestry Room, includes machines that are from forestry, like squeezers, centrifuges, etc.
  • Area for EU machines, macerators, furnaces, etc.
  • A Mine
  • Storage Room with sorting system

BikerEleven

Jul 29, 2019
The XYCraft blocks apparently also have the benefit of not allowing mobs to spawn on the glowing building blocks. Which I find to be wonderful for underground bases as the entire area is entirely safe regardless of light level. Also a crafting area is best to have attached or around the base, however Thaumcraft 3 is not something you really want to mess with around your main base. Due to the negative effects and wisps and such.

Danwatson

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! The problem is, It's the asthetics that i'm mostly baffled about I have no idea how I should lay out my base..
Oh and if you would like to know, i'm using the mindcrack pack :D

YooKahZee

Jul 29, 2019
Make a kind of dome shape for the entrance (Made out of glass and then decorate it with shrubs and stuff, put some animals inside etc)

Then on the sides of the mountain that your in make little windows (Or big ones! and surround them in a border of wood or sumting) and balconies just to make the mountain look awesome. (Make them all different shapes and sizes and where the mountain curves make a curvey balcony or whatever lol) On the balconies add some triangular roofs that poke out of the mountain)

You could do it in a wooden style because that usually looks nice when you are building into a mountain, lots of contrast. (Greatwood looks awesome, so does pine lol) You could add some stone bricks because those go quite well with wood.

Since the inside will be all different levels if you do the balcony and windows idea, you could just use ladders to get up and down. The balconies will be handy when you get a jetpack and you can just fly up :D

On the inside just have lots of machines scattered along the walls and on each level have a different "unit" (like IC2 on one, Thaumcraft on another)

Hope this helps a bit :D (Look up mountain homes on google and you might find some awesome ideas)

Danwatson

Jul 29, 2019
Make a kind of dome shape for the entrance (Made out of glass and then decorate it with shrubs and stuff, put some animals inside etc)

Then on the sides of the mountain that your in make little windows (Or big ones! and surround them in a border of wood or sumting) and balconies just to make the mountain look awesome. (Make them all different shapes and sizes and where the mountain curves make a curvey balcony or whatever lol) On the balconies add some triangular roofs that poke out of the mountain)

You could do it in a wooden style because that usually looks nice when you are building into a mountain, lots of contrast. (Greatwood looks awesome, so does pine lol) You could add some stone bricks because those go quite well with wood.

Since the inside will be all different levels if you do the balcony and windows idea, you could just use ladders to get up and down. The balconies will be handy when you get a jetpack and you can just fly up :D

On the inside just have lots of machines scattered along the walls and on each level have a different "unit" (like IC2 on one, Thaumcraft on another)

Hope this helps a bit :D (Look up mountain homes on google and you might find some awesome ideas)

Thanks!

Danwatson

Jul 29, 2019
If someone could spare the time in recreating my world and posting some designs they've used on this thread that would be the best thing ever, i desperately need some inspiration..
Thanks! :')

zarendahl

Jul 29, 2019
Working on something that you might like, OP. I'll leave the tech blocks up to you on what, where, and how. Currently shaping up quite nicely, for a change...

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Staircases are an awesome and versatile construction implement which come in enough different building materials that it can blend in well with practically any construction project!

For example, for a more chamfered look to your entrance, upside-down staircases along the sides will create a smoother gradient and give it a better 'arch' look. An overhang will keep spiders from climbing up and falling down on you, and staircases are great for that 'buttressed overhang' look. Basically, anywhere you think of shaving off half a block on the diagonal... staircases can probably achieve the look fairly well.

Redpower also has Microblock technology to create precisely whatever look you want. It also has covers and hollow covers to conceal tubing in the walls.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
As long as you have a hottub, a beer cooler, and a grill, everything else is optional. No point to toiling away in the workshops & factories if you can't enjoy the end of the day. ;)

Reactions: plzent3r

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
I apologize in advance for this loooong post, I didn't mean to make a subpar essay >.>

I'll try to remember posting something from our Mindcrack server (pics) when I get home... For our map we spent a majority of our first day finding a scenic spot a good distance away from the initial spawnpoint (some multiplayer seclusion is nice). We made our basic homes and whatnot, and as soon as we had a better form of travel, me and my 2 friends searched the world for a good combination of things that would make for a great communal area with room for expansion and personal homes nearby. We found a nice mountain with a large cliff face, in between 2 oceans and large mountain islands with all sorts of other stuff I could go on listing. We ended up making a "common" area, where we set up most of our supplies, power generation, spawners, farms etc. This place was intended to be our stepping stone towards making our own awesome places soon after.

I'm a fan of elevated homes with scenic views, so I started off with a small shack to get some basic things going (power generation / storage, ore processing, manual farms, etc...). As soon as able, the 3 of us had our basic electric jetpacks to help us find an even better place (we were originally in a desert which limited many of our forestry plans, but it looked nice). It was then when the 3 of us put our resources together that we were able to get this big elevated complex going, with me focusing on expanding the common area, one friend focusing on bees (they can get pretty complicated and demanding of your time), and the other on tree breeding / thaumcraft. I have to admit, by yourself there is a daunting amount of things for you to get into and keep you occupied....the best you can do is research what's available in your modpack, research other people's designs or real world designs for homes, and make it mesh together so that form goes with function. I have a habit of making large decorated rooms, and then deciding what's going to go in there. It's worked out for me so far, but other's like to build their homes around their machines. I also like showing off the machines instead of hiding them in a basement, so just figure out if you want to have an open area with access to various things, or separate rooms of this and that...

I would recommend doing some exploration as well, we had some big boosts to our early productivity when we found things like thaumcraft tools and portalguns throughout our travels. OH also as soon as possible we worked on getting a soul forge going to start collecting soul shards. If you have soul shards activated I strongly suggest making various types of spawners, as they can be some of the best ways of obtaining mats to the point that you're doing less "farming" and more building. Spawners can be pretty fun too, since there are many creative ways to make them look cool and work effectively...i.e., endermen / creeper spawner with quicksand, blaze spawner w/ water, firebat spawner w/ tesla coils, exp farms w/ skeletons / zombies that take fall damage and are killed manually, or eventually through upgraded golems... Let's not forget the fun farm animal processing systems you could come up with using pistons, those fire spewing blocks, water, quicksand, sentry guns, deployers...oh man the possibilities... And those farm animals aren't just food sources, since what they provide could be valuable for energy and magic (most meats can be turned into methane, leather / feathers for thaumcraft aspects).

Although not totally necessary (but fun), you can eventually look into thaumcraft. Just be aware that it can get expensive if you don't have a solid research area set up, and a good collection of research mats stockpiled. Thaumcraft research can be very heavily influenced by what you have around your research tables, which can lead to some fairly awesome looking magic areas for those that are aware of that aspect. Someone had a forum post about that someplace that really helped, something about boosting Thaumcraft 3 research efficiency. I know my area took a good amount of materials to set up, but when I started my research, man it proved worthwhile. Some of those aspects just shot up, whereas on our last map with a lone research table we were literally burning through materials. I also played it smart and made my magic area faaaar away from our common area, which kept our main area's flux levels relatively stable.

I dunno, lots of stuff to do and everyone plays differently. I don't usually go in with a solid plan and just build and expand as the need arises... I don't like to hide too much cause I like to get to the point where I can show off a structure and help out newer players when possible. Therefore, having a hidden cave / areas isn't usually one of my goals for a home.