New Way to speed start InfEvo Skyblock

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
So I noticed Direwolf playtesting the new SkyFactory pack. I've never been interested in SkyFactory, but it did gave me the urge to play Infinity evolved skyblock again.
So then I noticed the v1.2 update and the changes it brought. One of which gave us a whole new way of speed starting.

Dear fellow players, behold:.. <drums ruffling>... The wooden shears! :D

Here is some interesting trivia:
Fun fact: Shears can be crafted in a 2x2 grid.
Fun fact: A small tree can grow almost a full stack of leaf blocks.
Fun fact: Mobs do not spawn on leaf block.
Fun fact: If you shear the leaves, they still drop saplings, a small surplus on average. (not vanilla, some mod adds this feature)
Fun fact: Shears Insta-mine leaf blocks.
Fun fact: Manually placed leaf blocks do not decay. (a vanilla feature)

Yup, I'm going there. So here is the new starting sequence;
Step 1: Grow tree with bone meal, as usual.
Step 2: Mine one wood block and craft wooden shears.
Step 3: Carefully shear some leaf blocks, expand your platform and shear some more leaf blocks.
Step 4: Once your platform is big enough, you can shear with more speed, and pick up the leaves after they dropped. Then get loads of blocks very very quickly.

Your very starter tree should already have enough to make a platform you can comfortably walk around your tree farm with.
Within a few tree's you can already create a fairly large platform to walk around on with multiple sites for tree's to grow.
You'll have more wood left because you are not using it for platforms, so you can invest those in compost barrels, and quickly generate loads of dirt.

You do need to craft a crook at some point to get silk worms and then string, but not nearly as much.

My platform is already bigger than it would be post auto cobble gen. And I have yet to build even the manual cobble gen. After sifting just a few pieces of dirt I got enough cobble to convert into a piece of flint and craft a flint axe.

There are two things to note though; 1: Mobs can still spawn on dirt blocks, so keep your tree growing sites within the no spawn area, but you can extend the walking area beyond the no spawn area, because mobs don't spawn on leaf blocks. 2: Shears insta-mine leaf flocks, so be careful never to direct your shears downward, or you'll mine your platform away.

Now I only need to find a way to remove the grind of hammering. Because even with the compressed blocks I still need to hammer stacks and stacks of them before I can automate it.

Reactions: Hambeau

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
This has inspired a thought... would it be possible to lay down an area of leaves on an insulating block platform, say a 3x3x3 area of leaves on stone, infest that block with silkworms and then harvest the silk without endangering your trees?

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Yes I've found out by accident, that placed leaf blocks do get infested. I've also found out that you can shear infested blocks and place them elsewhere.

If you leave some infested blocks around (lets call them seeder blocks), you will never have to infest them again. Just place the new leaf blocks, wait a bit, and then harvest them.

You could place the seeder blocks out of sight below a slab or something. Maybe, with a timer, this could even be automated. (although, there are easier ways to get string later on, so there is little reason to automate this.)

If you build your platform from leaf blocks, as I did, then you do need to be careful with placement of those infested blocks.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yes, that was why I thought of a block of a different type to insulate the String Farm from the deck. I thought of using a wood block but knowing my luck removing that might instigate leaf decay :D

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
This reminds me of the video of the East European guy explaining how to save time by always going through a door with the intention of it opening in this direction. :D (google: how to save time when unlocking a door)
Sorry, coud not resist...