new to mods

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
F

Fmagik

hello :) i've been playing minecraft for almost 7 years now but i have never acutally played with mods can anyone recommend a good beginner friendly mod pack to learn and enjoy it ? : )

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
If you want to use the ATLauncher, I've just released ShneekeyCraft for 1.12.2, which is a lite pack designed for people new to modded minecraft. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles a 'full' pack has, but it has enough to get you started with some of the concepts involved in modded minecraft.

It also has some 'optional' mods, which can enhance your experience. I would advise starting a new world when adding in optional mods as most of them require additional worldgen which will not be present in any explored chunks. Also, under optional mods, there is both Refined Storage and Applied Energistics 2, however they are mutually exclusive, the launcher should only permit you one or the other. They both do the same thing, which is inventory management on a large scale and auto-crafting including subcombine autocrafting, but Refined Storage is more simplistic in nature, while Applied Energistics 2 has more to learn and enjoy, and in general is a better puzzle to solve. If you just want something that will handle the problem, go with Refined Storage. If you want complexity and puzzle-solving, go with Applied Energistics.

The oregen will be mostly 'vanilla', while I was playing around with a significantly altered oregen using CoFH World, ultimately I decided against it because it would be more difficult for players new to the modded experience to understand. There will be a few new ores to mine, but it should be relatively straightforward.

In virtually every 'lite' or 'newbie friendly' pack, there is generally a mod called 'Tinker's Construct', which can be used to create tools using an entirely new mechanic that I highly suggest, right from the start. Putting together Tinker's Construct requires little more than wood, and you can avoid making a single vanilla tool if you wish. Tinker's Construct tools can be repaired (i.e. they don't get destroyed when they hit zero durability) and upgraded (by crafting it with the appropriate new part you want on your tool in the mod-specific bench) as well as Augmented (basically an enchantment mechanic which uses resources to produce defined enchantment properties instead of leaving you at the whims of RNGesus).

Reactions: Fmagik
F

Fmagik

If you want to use the ATLauncher, I've just released ShneekeyCraft for 1.12.2, which is a lite pack designed for people new to modded minecraft. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles a 'full' pack has, but it has enough to get you started with some of the concepts involved in modded minecraft.

It also has some 'optional' mods, which can enhance your experience. I would advise starting a new world when adding in optional mods as most of them require additional worldgen which will not be present in any explored chunks. Also, under optional mods, there is both Refined Storage and Applied Energistics 2, however they are mutually exclusive, the launcher should only permit you one or the other. They both do the same thing, which is inventory management on a large scale and auto-crafting including subcombine autocrafting, but Refined Storage is more simplistic in nature, while Applied Energistics 2 has more to learn and enjoy, and in general is a better puzzle to solve. If you just want something that will handle the problem, go with Refined Storage. If you want complexity and puzzle-solving, go with Applied Energistics.

The oregen will be mostly 'vanilla', while I was playing around with a significantly altered oregen using CoFH World, ultimately I decided against it because it would be more difficult for players new to the modded experience to understand. There will be a few new ores to mine, but it should be relatively straightforward.

In virtually every 'lite' or 'newbie friendly' pack, there is generally a mod called 'Tinker's Construct', which can be used to create tools using an entirely new mechanic that I highly suggest, right from the start. Putting together Tinker's Construct requires little more than wood, and you can avoid making a single vanilla tool if you wish. Tinker's Construct tools can be repaired (i.e. they don't get destroyed when they hit zero durability) and upgraded (by crafting it with the appropriate new part you want on your tool in the mod-specific bench) as well as Augmented (basically an enchantment mechanic which uses resources to produce defined enchantment properties instead of leaving you at the whims of RNGesus).
ill try it out <3 im already downloading it

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
what about direwolf20's pack?

I like Direwolf20's packs... Not only do you get a pack, you also get a series of YouTube videos you can play along with and every 10th episode is saved so you can download and play with the stuff he has built up to that point.

Another good point is that he does "Spotlight" videos on each mod when it is changed by the developer and has a bunch of them going back years.

[Edit] Another point I forgot to make is that Direwolf20's packs are as close to unmodified as possible, so people seeing mods for the first time know how the mod Developer intended the mod to be played.

I watch several YouTube series using the DW20 pack and there are always comments that the host is "doing something wrong" because you do it "this way in Pack-X" (any heavily customized "Expert Hard-mode" pack. :D

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you don't mind going back to version. 1.7.10, Intro2Mods from the FTB launcher was a great light weight pack. Alternately the original Space Astronomy had a quest book that offered essentially a guided tour of quite a few mods. Surprisingly good for learning all the mods at the time.

Direwolf is a good pack choice no matter what version of the game you play. His pack is moderately large, but reasonably stable between versions so you will find it very familiar each time you jump into it.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Peace of mind is also a great pack for beginners, with quests to guide you through the mods. It can also be played on peaceful, which makes for quite a nice and relaxing experience.