New Server Monetisation Guidelines by Mojang

Madjock999

Jul 29, 2019
Creeperhosts sucks though dedicated is the way to go mainly for a good ftb server.
I love that backed up accusation of them being bad, Creeperhost offer some very good servers, but they are not the only server provider that provides good servers. They do have a very good DDOS mitigation system in their new base and provide a very user friendly control panel, which is one of the reasons people like them.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Creeperhosts sucks though dedicated is the way to go mainly for a good ftb server.

Actually, one of my test servers and my pledge server are both CH and they do quite fine (Skeleton and Wither respectfully.)

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
It breaks down to this : What do you value higher? The freedom of choice for players to choose what kind of servers they want to play on and support what they like

or

The protection of parents' money from kids stealing their credit cards and then spending 100s of dollars on micro transactions.

Valid points can be made for both sides but I fear that this decision will mean the end or premium-only for over 95% of mc servers in general.

And i dont know about you, but I'd rather play on a free server that doesn't lag and beat people that buy progress with skill and wit then have to pay upfront to even get on one.

Last edited:

MrBrunty

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest both sides of this have valid arguments. I do feel though that mojang could have done more in order to help servers out. Perhaps they could have worked more on making a multi-threaded system for minecraft prior to announcing this, thus significantly reducing the running costs of most servers. They could also of made a system in which mojang are a franchiser of sorts with servers buying into it by paying a certain amount. Mojang could then use that money to hire a team to oversee servers donation stores and insist on the removal of items that take the piss.

These above options are just off the top of me head, in my opinion I don't think they've given enough thought into the impact these changes will have on servers, and I'm sure there is something they could do that would be better for both them and the community.

As for creeper host, having had major issues with them that I really don't want to get in to, I would strongly recommend not using servers with them.

Decnav

Jul 29, 2019
I have no problem paying for access to a server. Right now I get an advantage over non paying members because I choose to pay money. This will end with the eula change and so will my willingness to support "freeloaders". I will not pay money for the same access that someone else gets for free.

It seem as if the big loosers in this change will be the kids that dont have jobs. Quality servers will likely now have a monthly charge or a buy in charge. So without access to paypal they will likely be forced onto substandard non hosted servers.

In an effort to equalize the playing field they may kill the thing that make this game attractive to many, free online play.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I have no problem paying for access to a server. Right now I get an advantage over non paying members because I choose to pay money. This will end with the eula change and so will my willingness to support "freeloaders". I will not pay money for the same access that someone else gets for free.

It seem as if the big loosers in this change will be the kids that dont have jobs. Quality servers will likely now have a monthly charge or a buy in charge. So without access to paypal they will likely be forced onto substandard non hosted servers.

In an effort to equalize the playing field they may kill the thing that make this game attractive to many, free online play.
You say that as if they did not lose before, seeing as all of the top-level items - often even the vanilla ones - were restricted to donators.

Decnav

Jul 29, 2019
You say that as if they did not lose before, seeing as all of the top-level items - often even the vanilla ones - were restricted to donators.

I havent played on that type of server so i am unfamiliar with that. The servers I am currently playing on does not have any items restricted to a pay status, you get / kits or land claim blocks or fly. But everyone has access to all the same items.

I never bothered with any pay to win servers, they arent my thing. If you dont want to play on a pay to win server, dont. There are tons of servers that are well populated and are not pay to win. If you cant find a server run the way you want, rent your own server. I tried it, way too many people who didnt pay me a penny demanding service from me as if they were paying customers. Its almost as bad as being a mod author. You guys have the same issue tons of people who havent paid a dime demanding you do things their way.

I would suggest you check out the server group im a member of they have many different modded packs available from their lobby server.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps they could have worked more on making a multi-threaded system for minecraft prior to announcing this, thus significantly reducing the running costs of most servers.

Thats exactly the thing what they are working on for 1.8.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
I would love it if they succeeded - MystCraft would also likely be able to plug into it, further helping issues - but I have heard from other developers that such attempts have thus far failed completely.

They doing multi threaded worlds mostly for things like lagg in the end from something in the nether. But it will be extremly usefull for mod dimensions as well.

Do not say that the game's developers can't do something because modders failed. Mods bringing the game forward, but mojang still has more control than the modders.
The last information what i heared is that the teleportation script needed a rewrite because of this.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I own a small server and I pay for that server because I want to play on it. Not because I make money at it. To date I've only had one player actually give me money for that server, but I didn't give him any special treatment over the other players I do have on my servers. I do try to keep the player base reasonable because I don't want to ban anything or have the server lag out. So for me, these EULA changes don't really mean anything. But, I could see how it would effect a lot of servers that use donation/reward item (like chunk loaders).

psp

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is is that they have allowed donations and things like for sooo long and now they are changing everything.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I'm happy. I frequently didn't play on servers because they restricted everything to donors. @Decnav is a reason I didn't often play on servers, even when donation benefits were only cosmetic. Donors often think that they are "Better" then everyone else because they could spare $20 for a few benefits. A friend of mine (though he is a friend no longer) used to play on the same server as me and often said he was better because he donated.
It pissed me off to no end.

Reactions: Wagon153

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The thing is is that they have allowed donations and things like for sooo long and now they are changing everything.
As Notch himself said, it was always against the rules, and contrary to what some are saying, it has been enforced, albeit sporadically.

There are a lot of people trying to characterize these actions as "new rules" or "changing the EULA". These people are misinformed at best and deceitful at worst (and I would argue most common when it comes to the vocal ones).

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Well i personally think that mojang fucked up when deciding to enforce this. Most servers who have really unfair donation or p2w systems are long gone.