Request New Modpack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nature Bound Mage

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, i love to play modpacks, especially ftb ones, but the problem is that recently the newer modpacks have all been tech themed, more or less. Well, some have been magic, but nonetheless, i think there should be a new magic oriented modpack, one that's maybe not all magic, but the bits of technology there is intersects with the magic based mods, like how thaumcraft has the technomancy addon. Like, the little science mods cross over with the magic, making like, well like a technomancy modpack. i realize it's hard to get lots of mods all properly coded together, and you need the permission from the mod creators, but still, I just can never get my head around the science mods. Typically its all science fiction stuff, like jetpacks and lasers and stuff, my brain always tries to logic EVERYTHING!! As such, most science mods dont come with a roleplay-like description of how the stuff works, so i try to do it, and my brain starts to hurt. Magic though, magic mods usually come with a sort of a book that gives you a way to progress through the mod slowly, and figure out how everything works so you can make it all come together. Technomancy, thats just the best of the two science and magic. Imagine using essentia to power a mega weapons factory, or using blood rituals to power a giant space station! Thats the kind of mod pack i'd play. I know most mod packs you guys create have both science and magic, but there's no official addons that intersect the two in the packs! I hope you'll read this and think my suggestion through. If you decide not to go through with it, or cant for whatever reason, ill understand. I would make the pack myself, but i can never understand coding, it just gives me a headache. Thanks, and reply freely.

Edit:
I kind of got off track and started thinking of technomancy, completely forgetting that not very many mods do crossing over tech and magic. I was trying to pitch a non-hardcore pure magic mudpack, but if that wasn't possible than a magic and science crossover mod pack. I've tried both infinity and regrowth, but the challenge of it is too high for me. I'm not an intense minecraft player, and I've never been one for hardcore.

What I was trying to say, and I know I said it wrong, was that most mod packs with science and magic, typically the science mods are a little un-balanced. That's why I started to rant on about crossing over mods with addons and stuff, it gives the magic side the capability to catch up to magic. I mean just look at draconic evolution. it's basically what I want, but really complicated. It's a mod that makes scientific uses out of magic.

Basically, I just want a magic-oriented mod pack entirely that's not a hardcore/survival challenge, or a pack that makes the magic side extremely powerful, so I don't always have to use even ONE science mod in order to be as powerful as the other players on the servers I would use. I do not have the mental capability to code and create my own pack, as such, what I am requesting is either a pure-magic pack, or a pack that for every one mod/add-on there is an equally powerful/useful opposite. I've tried the hardcore stuff, trust me, but I always just end up skrewing up the order of which quest I do first and soon enough it's impossible to go any further than one log of oak.

Last edited:

Geo Terra

Jul 29, 2019
Infinity Evolved (Hard Mode, specifically) comes pretty close to what you want, as far as I understand it. However, tech and magic are still their own separate "trees" and only really intersect at end-game through Avaritia (Assuming you want things like the Extra Utils Angel Rings). It's entirely possible to progress through the entirety of the magic tree without touching tech (The furthest you might get is the IE/RC Coke Oven and the IC2 Forge Hammer, which is needed to get a bucket). There's also Regrowth (an unofficial pack) that, while it COULD use some expanding, does have you progress through magic before tech is even a thing you can consider.

Here's thing though, while I do like your ideas, I will say that balancing magic & tech against each other is a tricky business in such a way that could make it a very slippery slope to pull off.

However, with the tools available nowadays (MineTweaker, ModTweaker, custom item mods, et al.), it's possible to put together a pack, and the closest you MIGHT get to coding is Mine/ModTweaker. Otherwise, it becomes a case of finding the mods you want, fiddling with configs, coming up with ideas, playtesting, etc.

Nature Bound Mage

Jul 29, 2019
Infinity Evolved (Hard Mode, specifically) comes pretty close to what you want, as far as I understand it. However, tech and magic are still their own separate "trees" and only really intersect at end-game through Avaritia (Assuming you want things like the Extra Utils Angel Rings). It's entirely possible to progress through the entirety of the magic tree without touching tech (The furthest you might get is the IE/RC Coke Oven and the IC2 Forge Hammer, which is needed to get a bucket). There's also Regrowth (an unofficial pack) that, while it COULD use some expanding, does have you progress through magic before tech is even a thing you can consider.

Here's thing though, while I do like your ideas, I will say that balancing magic & tech against each other is a tricky business in such a way that could make it a very slippery slope to pull off.

However, with the tools available nowadays (MineTweaker, ModTweaker, custom item mods, et al.), it's possible to put together a pack, and the closest you MIGHT get to coding is Mine/ModTweaker. Otherwise, it becomes a case of finding the mods you want, fiddling with configs, coming up with ideas, playtesting, etc.

Well, while I like your input, and the suggestion, I do need to edit my post a little. I kind of got off track and started thinking of technomancy, completely forgetting that not very many mods do crossing over tech and magic. I was trying to pitch a non-hardcore pure magic mudpack, but if that wasn't possible than a magic and science crossover mod pack. I've tried both infinity and regrowth, but the challenge of it is too high for me. I'm not an intense minecraft player, and I've never been one for hardcore.

What I was trying to say, and I know I said it wrong, was that most mod packs with science and magic, typically the science mods are a little un-balanced. That's why I started to rant on about crossing over mods with addons and stuff, it gives the magic side the capability to catch up to magic. I mean just look at draconic evolution. it's basically what I want, but really complicated. It's a mod that makes scientific uses out of magic.

Basically, I just want a magic-oriented mod pack entirely, or a pack that makes the magic side extremely powerful, so I don't always have to use even ONE science mod in order to be as powerful as the other players on the servers I would use. I will admit I do like playing on Infinity Evolved, but my problem, as I've stated before, is that people who do go down the science tree typically get massively powerful machines that, unless you use blood magic, or are really REALLY good at thaumcraft, most pure-mages could never catch up to. Anyways, thanks for the reply, but i'll keep trying.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ultimately, the solution is to develop your own pack. Balance each mod against it's equal. Thaumcraft added: Add Ender IO. Blood magic, add Redstone arsenal.

Nature Bound Mage

Jul 29, 2019
ATLauncher has several magic themed packs.
Well, and sorry to burst your bubble, but This is the FTB forums, not the ATLauncher forums. I don't mean to seem rude, but this is technically advertising FTB's competition. And yes, ATLauncher does have magic "themed" packs, but what I'm requesting is someone's help to create a mod pack that for every science based mod to have it's opposite to balance science and magic.

Nature Bound Mage

Jul 29, 2019
Ultimately, the solution is to develop your own pack. Balance each mod against it's equal. Thaumcraft added: Add Ender IO. Blood magic, add Redstone arsenal.
I would if I could, trust me. But I cant, I do not have the mental capability to code and create a successful mudpack. That's why I requested a new pack.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Just shove Botania, Thaumcraft, Blood Magic, Witchery, and all their addons into an instance and see how it goes.

Nature Bound Mage

Jul 29, 2019
Just shove Botania, Thaumcraft, Blood Magic, Witchery, and all their addons into an instance and see how it goes.

Yeah, I do that on my own spare time, and they work well together, but my computer is EXTREMELY laggy, that's why I'm requesting someone to make a new pack. I'm terrible at coding, so I need someone else to do it for me. its not so much as I'm to lazy to learn, because I have tried, for like 5 years, and still I cant make a simple line of code, its that I cant do it no matter how hard I try.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Hey, we're not in competition with the ATL folks. Anything that is good for the Modded Minecraft community is good for us, and we're alright with people talking about their packs here.

Reactions: RedBoss

Nature Bound Mage

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, we're not in competition with the ATL folks. Anything that is good for the Modded Minecraft community is good for us, and we're alright with people talking about their packs here.
sorry, thought that it was like a friendly rivalry kind of thing, like not to make the best packs, but just for fun? i dunno, sorry. but hey, i like their packs too, they just take really long to load. I mean I understand that it would take long to load 142 different files that weren't originally supposed to be in the original file. But for the record ftb does have, well I wouldn't say better, but they certainly are better at making the packs easier to load. Just kinda wanted to say that. :p

Nature Bound Mage

Jul 29, 2019
Why would you need to code? You're not making the mods yourself. No More Recipe Conflicts handles those with one added button.
because you need to make sure the mods don't make too much interference with each-other like with item id's or overlapping interface textures. You also need to make sure that the mods don't crash each-other due to some old content that was never fully deleted, or something like that. Its all very technical and it makes my head spin just thinking about it, and trust me, i've tried to learn how to code and I just cant get my head around it. Like I said, its not that i'm too lazy to learn this kind of thing, its that mentally I cant understand it no matter how simple you lay it out for me. That's why I made this request. Hope that answers why you need to code.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
sorry, thought that it was like a friendly rivalry kind of thing, like not to make the best packs, but just for fun? i dunno, sorry. but hey, i like their packs too, they just take really long to load. I mean I understand that it would take long to load 142 different files that weren't originally supposed to be in the original file. But for the record ftb does have, well I wouldn't say better, but they certainly are better at making the packs easier to load. Just kinda wanted to say that. :p
That's unfair and untrue. You have to compare the size of a modpack to compare load times. If you choose UnAbridged and compare that to Agrarian Skies, then you're confused on even more levels. The ATLauncher only hosts 3rd party modpacks. FTB has it's own official packs, AND hosts 3rd party packs. UnAbridged on the ATLauncher has over 250 mods, plus optional ones.

Bottom line is, there is no launcher war, friendly or otherwise. And if you want to compare load times, you need to compare packs of comparable size and include the bigger factor, which is the capability of your own system.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
because you need to make sure the mods don't make too much interference with each-other like with item id's or overlapping interface textures. You also need to make sure that the mods don't crash each-other due to some old content that was never fully deleted, or something like that. Its all very technical and it makes my head spin just thinking about it, and trust me, i've tried to learn how to code and I just cant get my head around it. Like I said, its not that i'm too lazy to learn this kind of thing, its that mentally I cant understand it no matter how simple you lay it out for me. That's why I made this request. Hope that answers why you need to code.
I've been putting together my own modpacks for a while now, and it's really not hard. Drop some files in a folder, maybe edit some text files if you want to mess with configs, and that's all you absolutely have to do. Nothing even remotely akin to coding, unless you consider changing some numbers and true to false or vice versa similar to coding.

If we were still pre 1.7 I'd agree with you, but 1.7 made modpack making relatively painless.

Nature Bound Mage

Jul 29, 2019
That's unfair and untrue. You have to compare the size of a modpack to compare load times. If you choose UnAbridged and compare that to Agrarian Skies, then you're confused on even more levels. The ATLauncher only hosts 3rd party modpacks. FTB has it's own official packs, AND hosts 3rd party packs. UnAbridged on the ATLauncher has over 250 mods, plus optional ones.

Bottom line is, there is no launcher war, friendly or otherwise. And if you want to compare load times, you need to compare packs of comparable size and include the bigger factor, which is the capability of your own system.
okay okay I get it, I'm sorry, and for the record, I was trying to imply that there are many mod packs of almost the same size, like ftb infinity and moonquest, and generally I find that ftb loads much faster. sorry. now I'm depressed:(