New forum theme

Is this theme an improvement on what we have now?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

The black with the blue looks very tidy- I quite like it.

Just wondering- out of interest- would it be possible for us to choose the secondary colour via our browsers?

Also an opt-in/opt-out system [if viable] would be fairly neat- this kind of change can never please everyone and it'll save a load of angry posts.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
The black with the blue looks very tidy- I quite like it.

Just wondering- out of interest- would it be possible for us to choose the secondary colour via our browsers?

Also an opt-in/opt-out system [if viable] would be fairly neat- this kind of change can never please everyone and it'll save a load of angry posts.
Technically choosing the color in your browser is possible but it's not something I'm going to be spending the time coding right now.
Unfortunately it's physically impossible to have an opt-in/out system for this, our old themes will be broken due to the new responsive design. On the flip side people get used to change quicker if its forced on them so heh

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
So is this new black theme -the- new theme, or a second/additional theme with the lighter red one?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I would agree with AlanEsh to a certain extent, except his example goes just as far in the wrong direction... Black text on such a dark shade of red is just as annoying as bright red on a white background.​
The only black on red is the banner, the rest is white on dark red, or dark red on white or light gray.

I wasn't suggesting adopting that theme specifically, just showing an example of how lowering the extremely high contrast can be accomplished and still have a similar set of colors.

Please forgive me, I didn't mean to sound so disapproving of your example, just to point out that there are eye conditions that cannot deal with dark-on-dark as well as bright-on-bright shades.

As long as there are color combinations to select from, even if not out favorites, we should be able to find a happy medium.

[Edit:] I do like the "trial" dark background posted after my initial response.

Now if we can just go with an 80x24 text only display in a harsh amber, screen etching white or an ambiguous green we can get down like in the old days. JK!!!

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Please forgive me, I didn't mean to sound so disapproving of your example, just to point out that there are eye conditions that cannot deal with dark-on-dark as well as bright-on-bright shades.
I don't think I suggested it be changed to various subtle shades of gray... Do you honestly have issues reading the forum example given? It's really not low contrast, it's mainly lower gamma (in effect). if you think bright red on white is OK for all types of eyes, well, it's not :D

As long as there are color combinations to select from, even if not out favorites, we should be able to find a happy medium.
[Edit:] I do like the "trial" dark background posted after my initial response.
Yeah it's awesome that the OP is working on a second theme by user request, and is responsive to feedback on his/her progress.
For the record, dark/black background themes are problematic for people who work on white-background documents all day; switching between those and a black page is quite jarring. So yeah, both light and dark options are greatly appreciated (and yes I also know a lot of people who code on very dark/black background windows, so they'd prefer dark themes).

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
-snip-
Yeah it's awesome that the OP is working on a second theme by user request, and is responsive to feedback on his/her progress.
For the record, dark/black background themes are problematic for people who work on white-background documents all day; switching between those and a black page is quite jarring. So yeah, both light and dark options are greatly appreciated (and yes I also know a lot of people who code on very dark/black background windows, so they'd prefer dark themes).
Yeh I always code on a dark themed IDE but for me I still prefer light colored sites, they look a lot cleaner to me. Heh, each to their own

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, this is super bright and high contrast. I just refreshed the page after the maintenance ended and spontaneously leaned back in my chair, squinting, from a serious case of "holy crap my eyes".

It's not an ugly theme. It's just seriously intense. ...Can I switch back somewhere? :s

P.S.: Okay, red / black text on dark red background in the alert window when you mouse over? That's really not good. The font in the alert window also got smaller. In combination of the two, it's much more effort to read it now than before. This sucks because the alert window is literally my most used, viewed and clicked feature on the forums.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
P.S.: Okay, red / black text on dark red background in the alert window when you mouse over? That's really not good. The font in the alert window also got smaller. In combination of the two, it's much more effort to read it now than before. This sucks because the alert window is literally my most used, viewed and clicked feature on the forums.
Yeh didn't notice that somehow, I'll fix it when next at my PC

Glowstrontium

Jul 29, 2019
I like the new clean look, although as many others have said, it's very bright and could do with some slightly darker elements IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.