New Forestry 2.0 Farm Blocks aare a PITA

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Sand isn't expensive, but glass is slightly more so. not to mention that all you need for a XyTank is cobblestone, AND they have the advantage of being able to link to one another.
Railcraft tanks can also link to one another - just stack them with valves touching the top top and bottom respectively.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft tanks can also link to one another - just stack them with valves touching the top top and bottom respectively.

Xycraft tanks can share walls and be linked horizontally. Which the railcraft tanks can't do.

Both good setups for diffrent reasons.
But I really think I'll be rocking the Xycaft tanks when they show up in FTB/Mindcrack. They might hold less per space but dam you can customize the heck out of them.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
The max size of a xycraft tank is 12x12x12 which hold more then a railcraft tank. Really the only reason you would use a railcraft tank is for smaller sizes due to it holding more per block, the difference becomes smaller as the tanks become bigger and the cost of iron compared to the cheapness of the xytanks means that everyone will probably use the xycraft tanks to hold any large amount of liquid.

Reactions: Carrington

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
That is a balance point I think they went too far. Space is rarely a premium.
Well it is and it isn't. Depends on the situation. I'll agree most of the time no but if you're trying to build in such a way to minimize chunks then size does become somewhat of an issue. Moreso if you want to keep the base from being surface visible.

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
Well it is and it isn't. Depends on the situation. I'll agree most of the time no but if you're trying to build in such a way to minimize chunks then size does become somewhat of an issue. Moreso if you want to keep the base from being surface visible.

Yea, I think spatial flexibility is a tertiary but still relevant consideration (see BC tanks). That said, the insane cost of RC tanks relative to XyCraft will ensure that no amount of space consolidation will make them the choice du jour if you're looking purely at efficiency.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
Well after going and doing some research (I hadn't really paid much attention to Xycraft. I'd chalked it up as vaporware/pretty blocks eternally) I'm inclined to believe that you're mostly right. There still times and areas I'd choose to use the other tank types but they wouldn't be the primary. I tend to build huge tank systems down at bottom of base which then pump to smaller tanks scattered where they need that way I don't have to pump water as fast as it is used, just so long as the peak usage doesn't outpace local storage. I'd still use the other types of tanks (railcraft and bc) for the localized. For the buck though Xycraft currently looks to provide far more in the end.

vKILLZ0NEv

Jul 29, 2019
Flux is reduced when wisps _spawn_, not when they die. I suggested changing that.

Also, wisps will seemingly spawn without end, lowering flux everytime, so unless you're at an evil node I doubt you'll ever see a giant zombie.

But wisps are created from the excess essences(?) in the atmosphere, so why would the flux go down when they die, and not when they are created?

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
But wisps are created from the excess essences(?) in the atmosphere, so why would the flux go down when they die, and not when they are created?

Might want to re-read what he said. You're essentially restating what he said but as a question.

Edit: Derp, I see what he meant, he wants it changed. Really though it could possibly work either way. The spawning of the wisp could cause the drop in flux due to it spontaneously creating a new life form, or the wisp could be considered a living, condensed form of flux that when eradicated removes the flux from the aura.

My guess is he wants to see more giant zombies.

Edit: Another way to see it is flux can be equated to static like what you see in our atmosphere. When static builds up in the atmosphere it discharges at lightning, however on very rare occasions this can manifest as a longer lasting ball lightning. While lightning rapidly discharges the static in the atmosphere, the nature of ball lightning implies that it doesn't swiftly remove the static charge from the atmosphere but instead stores it termporarily until it either dissipates or erupts violently.

Idgarad

Jul 29, 2019
That is a balance point I think they went too far. Space is rarely a premium.

Except when you only get say 100 chunks in your chunkload quota. On some server's i've seen it restricted to as low at 10 chunks. Space is very much a premium when put in context of how many chunks you get to keep loaded.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Except when you only get say 100 chunks in your chunkload quota. On some server's i've seen it restricted to as low at 10 chunks. Space is very much a premium when put in context of how many chunks you get to keep loaded.

Since a chunk goes from bedrock to Y=a lot you can simply stack all the tank you'll ever need in a single chunk, be it RC or XyCraft tanks.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

Yeah. "Someone doesn't play SMP or has never maintained a server," is what I thought when reading that, too.

I am yelling at myself about keeping 95 chunks permanently loaded; it hurts everywhere else on the server. But without that new version of NEI it's very hard to use spot loaders correctly.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
It does make me wonder how many folks regularly build a chunk UP (or down) instead of out.

This now has me wondering if I can get an entire base within activation range of a single beacon.
I tend to build down or from inside mountains down best I can. Problem I run into is slimes spawning in middle of my warehouses and such. They're a real pain at times and limit the choice of building materials highly to counter them.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I used to always align my rooms to chunk boundaries, so that I could chunkload only the important stuff. One of my builds consists of four chunk-sized towers connected by pathways. The entire base can be loaded with 4 spot loaders. It could easily be powered by a single beacon, not even at maximum size.

Right now I'm experimenting with something else: a design that doesn't rely on chunkloaders at all, or can at least load/unload areas as needed automatically down to a minimal footprint when nothing important is running.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. "Someone doesn't play SMP or has never maintained a server," is what I thought when reading that, too.

I am yelling at myself about keeping 95 chunks permanently loaded; it hurts everywhere else on the server. But without that new version of NEI it's very hard to use spot loaders correctly.
yeah any server I've ever been on has made chunk loaders/world anchors disabled.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

100 chunks.

One Hundred Chunks?

160 x 160 space, bedrock to sky?

Space is not a premium. You're living in the luxury of too much space.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
yeah any server I've ever been on has made chunk loaders/world anchors disabled.

That's awful. I wouldn't ever want to play there.[DOUBLEPOST=1361218666][/DOUBLEPOST]
100 chunks.

One Hundred Chunks?

160 x 160 space, bedrock to sky?

Space is not a premium. You're living in the luxury of too much space.

Bees take up space, as do farms. You cannot easily stack many of them. Except in some cases where you can, but in those cases it looks terrible and anyone with even an ounce of aesthetic sense shies away.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
That's awful. I wouldn't ever want to play there.[DOUBLEPOST=1361218666][/DOUBLEPOST]

Bees take up space, as do farms. You cannot easily stack many of them. Except in some cases where you can, but in those cases it looks terrible and anyone with even an ounce of aesthetic sense shies away.

I have every bee breed except dyes and the new thaumic ones, I know how much space they take. I also know that you can slap cave and nocturnal on any production bee and stack them in alvearies like magic blocks that produce stuff out of thin air. And I see no reason a factory shouldn't be as aesthetic as a factory. Lots of grey blocks, straight lines, and exposed piping. I'm pretty sure my carrot farms have never seen a ray of sunlight, I know its been a couple weeks since they've seen me around them.

My base, which I consider has everything needed, and several things not needed, is currently occupying a 2x3 block area (I had mapped out a specific 3x3, but never used that much) from 50 to 80 y-blocks. Oh yeah, there's a prototype nuke plant at the bedrock too, but it won't behave and explode like I expected.

My next base, regardless of its a rebuild of this one or a new gen of a world will be spread out to lower block-update issues, but even then I suspect I could build everything desired within 8 spot loaders.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
And I see no reason a factory shouldn't be as aesthetic as a factory. Lots of grey blocks, straight lines, and exposed piping. I'm pretty sure my carrot farms have never seen a ray of sunlight, I know its been a couple weeks since they've seen me around them.

Let me rephrase it: early on bees take a lot of space. When you are struggling just to stabilize common (my wife's been trying for over a week now and has like 1 princess and 1 drone) and breeding what you find on the intersection of four biomes, you cannot be very space efficient. We've got spot loaders in all the nearby biomes; a single chunkloader holding 2 bases, and one in the nether running a bit of lava.

But cool story patronizing other's play-styles and expressing 0 empathy with folks who would like a more organic and artistic look.