New Computer Question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Integrated graphics only....
Spring for a dedicated card and some more dirt cheap RAM, you'll be set.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The "Intel Integrated Graphics" may give you some problems, depending on what GPU is implemented, which the site conveniently doesn't mention. See various "lag" discussions in these and the Minecraft Curse forums.

The ram looks ok, but 6GB these days when 8GB costs about $60 is kind of off-putting, unless it's actually 8GB with 2GB used by the integrated graphics. Shouldn't be a real problem as you should still be able to allocate enough to keep Java and MC happy, about 4GB in my experience.

I also didn't see a spec for the CPU, or it's clock rate. For Intel the low end expectation seems to be an I5 at around 2.5-3.0 Ghz , with the I7 being preferred. At least that's what I've seen mentioned... I use AMD myself, an FX8350 at 4Ghz with no issues.

AdjectivePants

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you all for the replies. I haven't done anything with computer hardware before so what is your top suggestion for anything that I can buy and install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Desktop. Sorry, but for gaming it's really the way to go. You can get some decent gaming laptops, but they're normally not as good as their desktop equivalents. But laptop are best for money really. Desktops can get really pricey. Just try to avoid integrated graphics. 6GB of RAM should be good.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Don't get a laptop.

I recommend building a PC as it is much cheaper than buying a pre-built tower. Get as high end of a CPU and GPU as you can.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
If you don't need the system to be portable then a desktop is the best way to go... Laptops are designed with slower clocks and bus speeds to curb power requirements, keep the weight down and keep them running cooler, since a liquid cooled laptop is an oxymoron.

Also, a laptop is nearly un-upgradeable later... You almost have to be an OEM to get a faster CPU, if one is available for your model. About the only way to internally upgrade a laptop is to max out the memory (limited by design, determined by temperature and power considerations) and hard drive.

Reactions: SatanicSanta