Netherportals linked... at 1055 blocks away?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone had nether portals link even though they were over 1000 blocks from each other? I calculated the distance with an online calculator and put a waypoint at my friends, and my, nether portals and they do not appear in FTB Ultimate, which means they are over 1000 blocks from each other.

But they still linked up. Anyone had this happen? Cant say i really like the feature, you have to build 1000 blocks from anyone else to have your own nether access...

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
If you go to the nether and create a portal in the correct location (say your coords are 2480, -4480, make your portal at 310, -560 and it will link) basically, your overworld coords/8 = nether coords

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
well then his portal should have been about 120 blocks from mine, but it linked instead. any idea why?

also... if the nether works taht way... getting glowstone is kind of hard on a server, isnt it? my buddy always goes to the nether asap, and gets all teh glowstone he can. he has 847 right now, about 2 weeks into playing a new world.

im just trying to get into the nether, if the nether is like that, then even if i make a portal that is not linked to his, its only going to be a hundred blocks from his anyway, what is the likelyhood that he didnt get the glowstone in my area?

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
on a public server, glowstone will be a pain in the ass.. if it's a private server, you'll be fine.
If a nether portal is created it will first look for a nearby one, if it finds one it will link immediately and not create another. If you build one at the /8 coords of your portal, then it will stop linking to his and instead go to yours. Simples.

I play on a server with about 20 other people and glowstone isn't all that difficult to get so I wouldn't worry so much (also, the nether gets reset once every so often)

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Glowstone, at least in vanilla, is one of the first thing people horde on new servers. It is unrenewable and even in the case of FTB, hard to get. Centrifuging redstone, and a few other techniques than have low yields are the only strategies.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
gold dust + redstone gives glowstone dust. It's a hidden recipe and I can't remember the exact combination but it should be easy enough to figure out
Pretty sure there's a UU recipe for glowstone too

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Glowstone, at least in vanilla, is one of the first thing people horde on new servers. It is unrenewable and even in the case of FTB, hard to get. Centrifuging redstone, and a few other techniques than have low yields are the only strategies.

Witches aren't unrenewable...;)

Reactions: Poppycocks

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
on a public server, glowstone will be a pain in the ass.. if it's a private server, you'll be fine.
If a nether portal is created it will first look for a nearby one, if it finds one it will link immediately and not create another. If you build one at the /8 coords of your portal, then it will stop linking to his and instead go to yours. Simples.

I play on a server with about 20 other people and glowstone isn't all that difficult to get so I wouldn't worry so much (also, the nether gets reset once every so often)

Thank you sonofabirch, the nether portal thing worked. It looks like my coordinates were right in the middle of solid netherrack, so it tries to build the portal in a nearby open area (?) which then put it within range of my friends portal. I dug into that area, set up a portal, and it linked back to mine.

Also, it looks like the minimap in FTB ultimate does the /8 calculating on its own, giving you your exact coordinates in the overworld. So if you walk one block in the nether, your coordinates in the nether, on the minimap, change by 8, not 1.

Reactions: SonOfABirch

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

It becomes renewable in 1.5.2.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

In the case of FTB, MFR autospawners or soul shards spawning witches and you'll have more than you could ever hope to use in a very short amount of time.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I never have an issue with glowstone. Becuase there is always more nether chunks to genterate.

Sure it is a pain to travel out to new chunks but it is not like you have to make the return trip even on vinilla you can just plop down a ender chest dorp all your gear and loot in there and then jump into lava for a free trip home.

Sure yes on a large old server you might have to take a long trip but it is not impossable.

Get into modded MC and it becomes even more easier.

Witches might be hard to find in vinilla as a way to farm glowstone but once again in modded there are multiple ways to set up a witch farm some insanely easy as Doctor points out .

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
The way the game works is that each time you step into a portal it calculates your target location (current x and z divided by 8) than it searches for the nearest portal in a 128 block radius to that. If it fails to find one than it will search for the nearest safe point and create a new portal. As for coming back form the nether it is the same process but it multiples your current location instead of dividing it.

All the info is here - http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Nether_Portal