Request Need modpack recommendation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
I am planning to rent a server for me to play minecraft with my younger cousins. However, those younger cousins have never played any mods with minecraft at all, so I need a recommendation of which modpacks would be good for people who are new to modded minecraft.

I want to share with my cousins the incredible things that mods can add to the game, at the same time I don't want to overwhelm with the increased possibilities. I want them to start playing with machines and magic but I don't want things to be so complex that it confuses them. Another thing to consider is that only one of them is over the age of 13, so I don't want to use a modpack that has mods that would make their parents disapproving.

One final thing is that since majority of my parents cousins want this to be non-violent experience, the gamemode will be set to survival but on a peaceful difficulty level so that mobs won't spawn. So, do any of you have any recommendations?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Look at Vanilla plus... I think it doesn't have anything except mods to "enhance" the Vanilla experience, such as extended crops, storage and the like.

Later on, go with Direwolf20... in addition to the pack having a lot of stuff in it DW starts a new world from scratch when a new major version becomes available, and has a "Let's Play" series walking through the game from day 1. Also, every 10th episode there is a world download available so you can explore the build you've been watching.

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
I can't go from one modpack to the other. If I choose a modpack, I will most lkely stick with it for at least a year or so. Moving to another modpack means that any work that you did previously is gone, and the kids don't like that so much, especially since we won't be on the server alot. However, i will take a look at the vanilla modpack.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I would NOT recommend Vanilla+; that pack is for people who specifically enjoy vanilla, but like all the little bits and bobs you get from mods.
I personally don't know of a pack which would be good... I've made an "introduction pack" myself, with Thermal Expansion, Thaumcraft, Buildcraft, and the Twilight Forest (as well as a couple other mods), but I'm not currently ready to release it. I'll post here if I get around to it, though. :)

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, i don't know if it is possible, but I've fiddled around with pack creation myself. Do you think it would be possible to make a pack tailored to them, how would I do such a thing for a server? and how would they be able to get it?

It would take alot time though, so I don't know if I want to do it myself. I do have a feeling that mods that have achievements and/or guide books are good ones. Achievements give them something to aim for, and guide books give them information about the different parts of mods. Mods like tinkers construct and botania are great because they have both achievements and guide books. light modpacks with a quest book is also a good way to teach them about different mods.

Last edited:

adamich

Jul 29, 2019
Try "pops" packs aka direwolf pack or any official ftb packs. dont start HQM packs

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, i don't know if it is possible, but I've fiddled around with pack creation myself. Do you think it would be possible to make a pack tailored to them, how would I do such a thing for a server? and how would they be able to get it?

It would take alot time though, so I don't know if I want to do it myself. I do have a feeling that mods that have achievements and/or guide books are good ones. Achievements give them something to aim for, and guide books give them information about the different parts of mods. Mods like tinkers construct and botania are great because they have both achievements and guide books. light modpacks with a quest book is also a good way to teach them about different mods.
Well, I'll see about releasing my "Intro2Mods" pack. Like I said earlier, it has just a few mods, so you can familiarize yourself with them, the better to teach with. I haven't got HQM or any kind of Achievements, but the mods themselves are fairly simple and well tool-tip'd, and Thaumcraft has the Thaumonomicon. :)

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
i looked at inifinity, but it seems to be too much. Many of the other modpacks don't have what I consider essentials.

Any modpack that I look for must have the following essential user interface mods; Not Enough Items, What Am I Look At, and JourneyMap. Further more it must have things that add on to minecraft and are essential to me, such as tinker's construct which improves tools, buildcraft, thermal expansion, and minefactory reload which allows for automation as well as giving you more stuff to do with redstone. I also want to have mods in there that add cool things for my cousins to play around with, such as jetpacks, both technological and magical, without overwhelming them. On the magic side, Botania, thaumcraft, and witchery are well documented, have alot of fun stuff, and I don't think they would be too hard to learn. I don't want to put too many magic mods in. Likewise mods like Applied Energestics, Galacticraft, RFTools and other late game mods are much more advanced and I feel would be too much.

I think in the end I feel it may be best to but my own pack together based upon what I think my cousins and I would enjoy. the only problem is that I don't know how you would get a server set up for a custom pack.

Last edited:

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
Woah, sticking with a modpack for a year? Sorry bro.

I would advise to go from lite and such... but nevermind.

I really recommend the horizons pack, because it's my favorite. But infinity, unleashed and ultimate would work too.

The thing is, yes there is indeed a lot of mods, but please, you can go at any pace you want with them, you don't need to get all things at one time, and since you will stick with it for 1 year, I really advise using a big modpack.

But yeah, you cak work with any mod at any time, but these what I recommend:

Tinkers - powerful tools
Industrial Craft 2 - Easy to handle, and very useful
Thermal Expansion - Like industrialcraft, but it's way more complex, and has a lot of cool features
EnderIO - addition to thermal expansion
Some mod with magic - (Ars magica 2, thaumcraft, etc)

Also remember to give them freedom! Give them help with what you want, but I really advise starting with these mods.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
You could always make your own pack. You seem to have a pretty clear idea of what you want - just download the mods onto your MC launcher, zip them up, and send it to the people you want to play with.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
like if it was so simple lol
Well, what the OP wants IS pretty simple. There's no minetweakering or configuring or quest-making.
i looked at inifinity, but it seems to be too much. Many of the other modpacks don't have what I consider essentials.

Any modpack that I look for must have the following essential user interface mods; Not Enough Items, What Am I Look At, and JourneyMap. Further more it must have things that add on to minecraft and are essential to me, such as tinker's construct which improves tools, buildcraft, thermal expansion, and minefactory reload which allows for automation as well as giving you more stuff to do with redstone. I also want to have mods in there that add cool things for my cousins to play around with, such as jetpacks, both technological and magical, without overwhelming them. On the magic side, Botania, thaumcraft, and witchery are well documented, have alot of fun stuff, and I don't think they would be too hard to learn. I don't want to put too many magic mods in. Likewise mods like Applied Energestics, Galacticraft, RFTools and other late game mods are much more advanced and I feel would be too much.

I think in the end I feel it may be best to but my own pack together based upon what I think my cousins and I would enjoy. the only problem is that I don't know how you would get a server set up for a custom pack.
Re-reading this post, I realize he came to this conclusion himself.
It is totally possible to get a server set up for a custom pack. If you plan on renting, I can't help you, but a private server for you and 2-3 other people is something you can set up on one of your own computers with minimal effort. Having a separate server computer is recommended. Since the server skips all graphics calculations, a much crappier comp should be fine for a server. If you don't have an extra comp, you might be able to run both your server and you client on the same computer; that's what I do, and while my computer is pretty good, I've been doing that for a long time.

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
I am planning to rent a server, but I am struggling to figure out what kind of server specs I will need, or if I can even afford to rent one for what I plan to use it on. That is why figuring out what kind of modpack I will be running on the rented server was so important. However, if I am going to use custom-built modpack, then the question is how to get in onto the server. You see, most public modpacks have a server build that you can download, so how would I create a server build for my custom modpack to put on to the rented server?

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I am planning to rent a server, but I am struggling to figure out what kind of server specs I will need, or if I can even afford to rent one for what I plan to use it on. That is why figuring out what kind of modpack I will be running on the rented server was so important. However, if I am going to use custom-built modpack, then the question is how to get in onto the server. You see, most public modpacks have a server build that you can download, so how would I create a server build for my custom modpack to put on to the rented server?
All you need to do is copy the mods/configs/scripts/whatever else your pack needs, then delete all the client-side mods (journeymap is a big one). Then zip them up, and that should be enough to run the server off of. :)