Need help tracing a potential bug in FTB Unleashed/Vanilla Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Resender

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all,

I'm currently doing an lp called 'To the END',in which I attempt to live on a permanent basis in the END.
I'm currently experiencing a problem that's either a bug in FTB Ultimate/Vanilla Minecraft or its either intended or unintended behavior.

--Intro
I'm currently in the second season of the lp,the first season I was playing in FTB Ultimate,while the second season I'm playing in FTB Unleashed (with dartcraft disabled & natura enabled)(some of the clouds in the end I also disabled)

My home in the END is called END Station 1 (ES1) & it's about 1000-2000 blocks away from the END main land;construction started during the first season & I MCedited the base into an ultimate save when switching.

After the switch I went over the entire base & in creative restored the missing/broken sections.

--The problem
ES1 primary powerplant consists out of 2 steam boilers,these are being fed by charcoal which I get from burning jungle wood in 12 powered furnaces. The jungle wood comes from a steve's cart tree farm setup which has 2 steve's carts with the best gear for tree farming. There are glowstone illuminators 15-17 blocks above the planting level. (there used to be illuminators between the trees but I removed these). The treefarm is located directly above the 'boiler' room.

The powerplant is being chunckloaded & endermen are prevented from spawning using a magmum torch (I wanted to avoid using the torch but the loss/absence of RP2 forced my hand). A beacon providing haste & regen is also under the powerplant & treefarm

Now the problem & I have problem duplicating this and the previous solution does not seem to work since yesterday(17 September 2013) is that some of the dirt blocks in the tree farm no longer accept saplings.
Meaning that neither me or the carts can place saplings on these blocks,even when there no trees or blocks that could block trees near them. At first digging out the dirt & re-placing it seem to solve it but that stopped working. This behavior also seems to be spreading but I see no pattern in the spread.

The tree farm is a 17 by 17 square space,currently there 10 dirt blocks that have this problem (2 days ago it was 5).

--Question
I currently neither have the irl time or irl/gale resources to test this.
So I like to ask people help me build something similar like me & see if you can duplicate this problem.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I know that people on ForgeCraft sometimes have issues with air blocks that refuse to let things be placed inside them. The solution is to put a solid block (like dirt or cobblestone) into that space and then break it again.

I've never experienced this issue and I know nothing about it safe what I saw in the videos. But, try placing a dirt block in the space where you cannot plant a sapling, break it, and then try placing the sapling again.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I have in the past had success in removing those weird phantom blocks with water source blocks which have the advantage of covering a wide are.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Umm.. the only thing i could think of to automate the resetting of the blocks is to use a sticky piston with a bud to move the dirt each time the over it updates..

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
I know that people on ForgeCraft sometimes have issues with air blocks that refuse to let things be placed inside them. The solution is to put a solid block (like dirt or cobblestone) into that space and then break it again.

I've never experienced this issue and I know nothing about it safe what I saw in the videos. But, try placing a dirt block in the space where you cannot plant a sapling, break it, and then try placing the sapling again.

The phantom blocks are from railcraft's tracking aura I think. I think the block.hidden in the railcraft config is the phantom block.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, interesting.

Can the tracking aura feature be completely disabled? Because I never use it...

Resender

Jul 29, 2019
The block.hidden is already set to 0
Filling the block in with dirt or water did not help

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Forgive my ignorance, but what kind of torch are you using to light the place? Magmum Torches are new to me(and I suspect you may have made a typo).

Resender

Jul 29, 2019
Forgive my ignorance, but what kind of torch are you using to light the place? Magmum Torches are new to me(and I suspect you may have made a typo).
Yeah Magnum torch extra utilities provides as much light as a normal torch but it prevents mob from spawning in a 64 block radius which in the end (no pun) was the best option to prevent the endermen from spawning in the treefarm

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah Magnum torch extra utilities provides as much light as a normal torch but it prevents mob from spawning in a 64 block radius which in the end (no pun) was the best option to prevent the endermen from spawning in the treefarm
Ah, I see. Word of advice: If a light source is bright enough to prevent mob spawns in a big radius, it isn't doing so on it's own. You have invisible light sources all over the place, mate. They look like air but prevent things from being placed there some times, as you have noticed with the saplings. This is a very common issue with "invisible lights". My suggestion: Rip out those lights and place them in a chest. A void chest. Then light it up manually with torches, glowstone lamps, whatever you want, just make sure it doesn't light up anything better then a block of glowstone does and you should be fine.

Resender

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I see. Word of advice: If a light source is bright enough to prevent mob spawns in a big radius, it isn't doing so on it's own. You have invisible light sources all over the place, mate. They look like air but prevent things from being placed there some times, as you have noticed with the saplings. This is a very common issue with "invisible lights". My suggestion: Rip out those lights and place them in a chest. A void chest. Then light it up manually with torches, glowstone lamps, whatever you want, just make sure it doesn't light up anything better then a block of glowstone does and you should be fine.
Problem with that is there is now way to light the area up enough to prevent mob spawns

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
The Magnum Torch does NOT create invisible light blocks, actually--it doesn't create extra light, it uses a different method to prevent mob spawns, so it works just fine with Forestry farms and boilers and other multi-block structures. ;)

Reactions: PeggleFrank

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
The Magnum Torch does NOT create invisible light blocks, actually--it doesn't create extra light, it uses a different method to prevent mob spawns, so it works just fine with Forestry farms and boilers and other multi-block structures. ;)
Oh. Well, shit, I have even less of a idea.
Problem with that is there is now way to light the area up enough to prevent mob spawns
Did you read my post? Use other lights. You don't need to have a single flood light to block spawns. Or even better, use spawn resistant blocks. Not using Dartcraft? No problem, just use glass for your floors. Not exactly the most durable material to work with, but it'll prevent spawns.
EDIT: Or slabs of any kind. Or any of the many of blocks that resist spawning.

Resender

Jul 29, 2019
Oh. Well, shit, I have even less of a idea.

Did you read my post? Use other lights. You don't need to have a single flood light to block spawns. Or even better, use spawn resistant blocks. Not using Dartcraft? No problem, just use glass for your floors. Not exactly the most durable material to work with, but it'll prevent spawns.
EDIT: Or slabs of any kind. Or any of the many of blocks that resist spawning.
The problem is that the endermen spawn on top of the tree trunks when a steve's cart cuts it down,so halfslabs won't work on that

egor66

Jul 29, 2019

I was about to say the same, this was a big issue with wrath lamps in the past, & as stated above in order to increase the radius of any item hidden blocks are required & its these that are normally the problem, ps have you tested a mfr farm ?, I find mfr planter/harvester farm the least buggy of any.

Ps there is another way to protect from endermen spawns, they do not like water/snow/ice & will not tp into or past it.

Resender

Jul 29, 2019
I ripped out the entire thing & rebuild it,atm I don't see any bald spots let see how it evolves