Need Help Solving Problems with RP2 TBM

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I built a tunnel bore using frames as most people do for end game mining. Its rather large, 60 blocks high and 6 wide. The entire thing has XyCraft water blocks on the perimeter to keep lava out of the tunnel. It has 2 enderchests to funnel items into a sorting system with 90 64k drives from AE back at my base. It is remotely charged using batteries and another enderchest, the charging system is immense and could likely keep up with a bore 10 times the size. I thought I had created the perfect monster, but it gets stuck on cobble constantly, requiring me to fly to it manually and get rid of the water and lava.

Any ideas to prevent the front of the machine basically trying to cut through a cobble gen that is faster than the bore? Because technically the fastest I can make it move is every 0.8 seconds, but cobble seems to appear faster than that. Currently its just a simple flat borehead with block breakers covering the entire front.

I am running the latest version of Ultimate and can add any mod that will help solve this problem provided its not doing something like removing the ability of lava + water to make cobble.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Do you run the forward-moving frame motor on the same pulse as the block breakers? If yes, then the lowest delay you can have is 0.8 seconds, yes.

But you could try placing a repeater in between your timer and the frame motor. Repeaters delay the arrival of the signal. For example, on the minimum setting (1 redstone tick = 2 game ticks), the frame motor would get the signal 0.1 seconds after the block breakers. The result should be that the tunnel bore immediately moves into the space freed up by the block breakers.

Now, if you then slow your timer down a little, to for example 0.9 or 1.0 seconds, this construction should also accelerate the tunnel bore by a large margin. The little extra time should be enough for the block breakers to get in position to dig again on the next pulse. Then instead of going "move -> dig -> move -> dig", your tunnel bore will go "dig + move -> dig + move -> dig+move -> dig + move". Keep in mind that your sorting/processing system might clog!

DISCLAIMER: I have never built a tunnel bore or other frame machine in my life, I'm just going on basic redstone engineering concepts here. If it doesn't work, it's likely because of some feature of frames that I am unaware of.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, let me do some outlining so I know this is correct before I rebuild a major part of my bore.

Timer -> Motor #1 & Block Breakers -> Motor #2 with repeater of several ticks -> Motor #3 with repeater of length that it takes for Motor #2 to move in front of it.

Timer will be set to any time larger than 0.8 seconds, likely 2.
Motor 1 is moving a secondary chunk loader so that one is stationary at all times to prevent bore malfunctions when players are out of range.
Motor 2 slides the entire bore forward 1 block.
Motor 3 moves Motor 2 forward 1 block so its ready for the next movement.

And my sorting system is no worry, its capable of handling a decent bit of stuff. In the config BuildCraft pipes are set to handle 10000 items at once, and I have a redstone energy cell pulling from the ender chest at 50 mj/t, with a lever to activate a second. Anything thats not voided as junk by diamond pipes goes into 3 relays and my barrel wall. If barrels overfill the contents get voided. Anything not destined for barrels goes into an AE network.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I put move forward on circuit right after break, with no logic for delay, just the wire length. Have never been stopped by a cobble gen. Have been skewered by the heart of a volcano, though, which is why I've become a lot more selective about where I run my tunnelbores. :)

Something like this:

timer->redstone wire->redstone wire->jacketed wire connecting to redstone tube frame-redstone wire->state cell(which triggers move forward as soon as it gets a signal and then a second later moves the independent frame motor in the inchworm pair).

I'm going to assume you're on Mindcrack since you're not using mystrcraft ages to avoid all of this. With mystcraft you can generate an age with no water/lava to worry about, then snug your frame right up against bedrock so you don't even have to worry about mobs spawning in the tunnel in case you want to go through with a fortune pick and snag some stuff manually.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I think I got it working using the setup I mentioned in my response post, just needed 2 repeaters, both set to 8 ticks. Timer is running every 3 seconds and its working great so far, will post some pics today if it manages to make it all of today without breaking in someway.

Edit: And back to tree breeding while my iron barrel goes past 64 stacks towards 1024 stacks.