Need good Sorting System!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

martyyp

Jul 29, 2019
The only reason the rp sorting will cause lag is if you have one piece of something that's constantly flowing in set in the sorting machine (cobble), you need to put in like 32 so it's not pulling out things every half a second

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Because RP sucks, and the only other serious option is Computercraft.

I mean, since he wants something like Guude's after all.

But remember, RP sorting sucks. You want to know why mindcrackers complain about lag all the time? Because they all use RP.

Er, how exactly does RP sorting suck? Lag, but otherwise the best option (apart from AE) around.

Reactions: whizzball1

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Guy, I want to have fun in this game, play it for me and tell me how it is.

thx.[DOUBLEPOST=1366774058][/DOUBLEPOST]
Items in tubes recalculate path every step of the way. This gets very crazy in high amounts.

Do they? i thought they recalc only at intersections.[DOUBLEPOST=1366774226][/DOUBLEPOST]
Er, how exactly does RP sorting suck? Lag, but otherwise the best option (apart from AE) around.
Ignore his RP comments. he has a hard-on for RP hate.

All in all a RP/Factorization sorting system can be very powerful while remaining very simple. One can do a lot with one router one sorter and two enderchest.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Hi there!
I need a very automatic sorting System like the one Guude has. Were also using the MindCrack Pack, so I was wondering if anyone has the Code.
No one has Guude's code but Guude. He would release it but it has all kinds of IP information in it that he'd rather not release.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019

Man, wish you had showed the platform more. Looks like you're doing DW20s mining well platform without computercraft. Which is harder than it looks since the mining wells have to be broken every move or they don't work. :/

On the flip side, why ender chests? Why not a tesseract to an ME import bus?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

I'd argue that its not even the best option in Mindcrack pack, its tendancy to get wedged up like a constipated fat man eliminates it as a contender. The best in Mindcrack would be a set of bc pipes centered around a computercraft brain.

In mods in general, AE or Infinitubes, or best of all AE mixed with Infinitubes

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019

Sure, just dismiss what is probably the biggest problem of them all. "Lag, eh, who needs to worry about lag in an SMP environment? Pa-shaw, you peon!"

But sure, aside from lag, RP scales poorly because the bulk of your sorting has to be done at the head of the system. Sure, inline filters work but they only can pull 9 items at a time.

On top if that Elo's apparently got a problem with labels and the sorting is largely color based. Color-blind? Too bad!

In addition to that RP2 is notoriously bad with interfacing with anything else. Sure, it has a pair of blocks that will accept items from pipes, but exporting to pipes? Too bad!

Also, unlike other sorting systems that require power, power is not transmitted in the system. So you either have a double-run for the items and power (which is inefficient over long distances) or you have to drop power generation everywhere. Have you seen RP2's power generation? Tepid, space consuming and fickle.

I'll admit on a small scale RP2 machines provide some excellent functionality. For example, having a short run between my tesseract and my ME interface with a filter on it to suck out the junk is hard to replicate so elegantly. But as the systems grow larger, RP2 grows more and more cumbersome.

Reactions: EternalDensity

potter

Jul 29, 2019
Man, wish you had showed the platform more. Looks like you're doing DW20s mining well platform without computercraft. Which is harder than it looks since the mining wells have to be broken every move or they don't work. :/

Pretty sure he's alternating energy and item Tesseracts on that 'thing'. No sign of any Enderchests there, just Tesseract/Deployer/BBreaker.
Sends it to several Enderchests with a few Sorters of their own perhaps?
I'd like to know how he's avoiding getting items into his Deployers from those Mining Wells though..

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
And again, Redpower is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your stuff in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
In mods in general, AE or Infinitubes, or best of all AE mixed with Infinitubes

Or Logistics Pipes. Prior to AE I would drop LP into my world and really couldn't find anything it couldn't address. I dropped it to give AE a fair shake and I think LP is still the better of the two.

The main thing AE does out of the box which LP cannot is an easy crafting interface. LP combined with a crafting table (either from RP2 or the stand-alone mod) competes with AE on that regard. The trick was understanding that Request Pipes can deposit into an adjacent inventory. The project table has an inventory. So in AE we have a single interface where we pull from the network, place in the crafting area, and craft. In LP it's a two step process, requesting from the network, switching to the table, then crafting. AE's interfacing into the other machines feels clunky compared to LP. Mainly because LP operates on requests where AE seems to operate on levels. Either that or I am not groking AE's logistics quite properly.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure he's alternating energy and item Tesseracts on that 'thing'. No sign of any Enderchests there, just Tesseract/Deployer/BBreaker.

Still confounds me. I know we need a deployer & block breaker. Problem is we're running out of sides. The well has 6 sides. Bottom is the mining end. BB/Deployer are another two. Then we have power. Finally the output (be it tesseract or, as I was thinking, tubes). That's 5. That rules out running them in-line, which is why in his video you see the staggered formation. But my mind kinda got all explodey trying to figure out how to stagger them and still make it all fit without making it huge. It came at about the time where I was trying to figure out how to run the red allow wiring to trigger the BB/Deployers. At that point I figured I was sinking so much into the project I could have just made block breakers down to bedrock and be done with it. :)

EDIT: Rats, thought the board auto-merged multiple replies, sorry about the double post. Back to manually doing it from here on out. :(

potter

Jul 29, 2019
He's using 2 Wireless signals connected to redstone frubes to signal when to break and when to deploy, each line on their own signal.
This design seems as compact as possible using these items.
Pretty much what i'd like to do in my next world.
And he can just continue the pattern to expand it to the right side.

Picsof4D

Jul 29, 2019
Wow this is awesome! I really appreciate the response i got, but the sorting is not the problem. Rather I need a System that can pull items out of chest barrel etc... So i can do like "Get Cobblestone 64" or "Get 3 64"

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
The only reason the rp sorting will cause lag is if you have one piece of something that's constantly flowing in set in the sorting machine (cobble), you need to put in like 32 so it's not pulling out things every half a second

This is disconnected from the facts on hand. Lag is caused due to an over abundance of block updates to the point that the entire chunk is resent from the game. Block updates occur due to timers, filters, and transposers primarily. Filters and transposers in particular do three block updates spread over a small number of ticks for every single pulse. Regardless of if they pull an item from their attached inventory or not. Receiving filters and transposers have similar block updates on every reception of an item or pass-through on the tube.

Relays and any block which is backed up is slightly different in that they check every single inventory for possible reception of items every single tick. Thus lag isn't due to block updates, but rather actual server load due to ridiculous processing costs.[DOUBLEPOST=1366803558][/DOUBLEPOST]
No one has Guude's code but Guude. He would release it but it has all kinds of IP information in it that he'd rather not release.

He is planning on releasing it, which anybody who actually watches his videos would know, after editing out the urls.

Berserkenstein

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry about the response delay, I posted this at the airport and when I got home I passed out. I didn't expect so many responses.

Man that's crazy, you're crazy, I like that

Show us your sorting?

Sure.

Are you mining for like... a 60-person server?

Because I'm quite sure that there is no project that can be undertaken that can use resources fast enough to justify that monstrosity.

I use gregtech, there is a project that I am working on that justifies that. I am building multiple fusion reactors, the new ones.

The mining wells do have to be broken in order for the frame machine to move. I use enderchests as an output buffer so multiple sorting machines can pull from them, I need to do this because of the sheer amount of output. I tried to do the same with import buses but I don't think they can pull as fast and the energy cost was exorbitant.

Sends it to several Enderchests with a few Sorters of their own perhaps?
I'd like to know how he's avoiding getting items into his Deployers from those Mining Wells though..

Checkerboard item and energy tesseracts. I send the output to my sorting system.

Each deployer has 2 mining wells in slot 0, the rest I filled with pig saddles or rubber tree taps.

Still confounds me. I know we need a deployer & block breaker. Problem is we're running out of sides. The well has 6 sides. Bottom is the mining end. BB/Deployer are another two. Then we have power. Finally the output (be it tesseract or, as I was thinking, tubes). That's 5. That rules out running them in-line, which is why in his video you see the staggered formation. But my mind kinda got all explodey trying to figure out how to stagger them and still make it all fit without making it huge. It came at about the time where I was trying to figure out how to run the red allow wiring to trigger the BB/Deployers. At that point I figured I was sinking so much into the project I could have just made block breakers down to bedrock and be done with it.

I save a side because either an item tesseract or energy tesseract is shared between each pair of mining wells. I use redpower frubes to trigger. I'm going to make a video showing how I did it when I have time, it's a lot simpler than you think.

He's using 2 Wireless signals connected to redstone frubes to signal when to break and when to deploy, each line on their own signal.
This design seems as compact as possible using these items.
Pretty much what i'd like to do in my next world.
And he can just continue the pattern to expand it to the right side.

You can continue the pattern to both sides. Since I use wireless transmitters, I have all the logic off the machine at my base.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
He is planning on releasing it, which anybody who actually watches his videos would know, after editing out the urls.
I went by what he said on the reddit a few days ago since I ran a search about something that led me to that information

In reference to you being the expert on some guy's vids on youtube, I concede defeat. Your ability to watch someone else play a game while others are actually playing it and doing real life things is superior to me. You sir win this battle, and that war. Enjoy your YouTube viewing superiority

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
The mining wells do have to be broken in order for the frame machine to move.

No, they don't need to be broken to move. They do need to be broken to run again. I have a frame machine on my current SSP world that has wells in the middle of it in a single line. When the frame machine moves forward the old line of pipes remain and the wells to not reset. They only reset when I manually break them and replace them. To do this with RP2 would require block breakers and deployers, so that takes up 2 edges. DW20 got around this on his build by having a turtle both break it and place it, thus only taking 1 edge. Well, break, place and also serve as the input. So he collapsed 3 edges into 1.

Berserkenstein

Jul 29, 2019
No, they don't need to be broken to move. They do need to be broken to run again. I have a frame machine on my current SSP world that has wells in the middle of it in a single line. When the frame machine moves forward the old line of pipes remain and the wells to not reset. They only reset when I manually break them and replace them. To do this with RP2 would require block breakers and deployers, so that takes up 2 edges. DW20 got around this on his build by having a turtle both break it and place it, thus only taking 1 edge. Well, break, place and also serve as the input. So he collapsed 3 edges into 1.
I don't mean in general, I mean for this machine. I tried moving the machine while testing and it wouldn't budge when they were connected, it's probably because they aren't connected to a frame.