Natura redwood dying when hollowed out?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
C

Culprit

I found two huge redwoods, and decided to build my base in one of them. I em mead it'll hollow out the tree 5 blocks high , and started mining, ect. I then took a ladder up one side, moving in whenever a level stopped, I got to the too and looked around and it's leaves were going away! I'm hesitant to do the next one, but witht his one I'm planning on putting a ladder up the center, and making my rooms in the branches. Also just make a 7 by 7 square to plant hem?

st753m

Jul 29, 2019
Is it all of the leaves, or just some of them? If its just a few, and the tree looks a bit thinner after a few minutes, then its just because the tree generated leaves too far away from the logs and they began vanishing once the game noticed it (vanilla oak and jungle trees do that too). If it is all of the leaves and the tree ends up completely bald, then maybe something is preventing the redwood bark from being recognized as a proper log.

C

Culprit

just some of them. will it do it to the other one if it hasnt happened yet?

st753m

Jul 29, 2019
Yes if it also has leaves that have generated too far away. It generally takes something happening near it for it for the blocks to update.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hmmmm. What should I do?
Nothing, just continue your build. The leaves that are vanishing are just those that are too far from a wood block. It will eventually end up as it should be(aka all leaves left are in range of wood blocks). Same thing happen to almost all trees. Take a stroll through newly generated forests and you will see loose saplings etc. everywhere.

If you really want the leaves to have a certain shape/extend over your various builds, then Shear some from another tree(or places in the trees crown that you hollow out). Manually placed leaf blocks do not decay despite being far from wood blocks.