Mystcraft thoughts

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

matagin

Jul 29, 2019
I am now playing the Ultimate pack single player and I am considering disabling Mystcraft as I really don't see much use for it other than fast travel and ages for mining. Anyone else considering the same?

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Well, first, I suggest you keep it, you might decide it awesome in the future.

Also, (especially for void ages) it's awesome for building stuff. EvilHamster had a huge project in a void age called the USS Hamster, though I think that eventually got abandoned/died.

matagin

Jul 29, 2019
What if I never use it though? Can I increase performance by removing it?

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
What if I never use it though? Can I increase performance by removing it?
As far as I'm aware, if you are not doing anything with it, it really should not affect your performance at all. I could be mistaken though, haven't looked into the demands for the new update much. I do think that it has become a lot more work for mystcraft to pay off, what with trading for the pages and needing ink vials all the time and such. I would use it for mining so that when you really start to dive into automated mining, your overworld doesn't end up looking like a puzzle that someone stole a bunch of pieces to ;) Could be nice for test worlds as well, if you had an idea you wanted to implement into your base but were not sure of some side effects. Just an idea though...

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Makes sense. I think I will keep it. Thanks.

Its advantageous if you ever want to see waht a nuke will do :) but in general, creating a world for mining, or dungeon hunting, or tree hunting (autumn hills forest yay) or etc etc etc it can be useful. Although, the new symbol system makes getting all those things considerably more difficult and you'll have to explore a signifciant portion of your overworld to find enough villagers or temples to get the symbols (villager breeding cells become almost required for mystcrafters and an ample supply of emeralds).

I love MystCraft and think its worth the effort, but some might not. In general, unless it gains a bug (like traincrafts entity spam at spawn bug froma few versions ago), it shouldn't cause any significant overhead for you if you're not using its components.