Mystcraft is extremely OP to a game breaking degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froghandler

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the cheap assumption. I take that you monitor my Internet activity. :D

It's useless only if you miss the whole point.
Complain about a mod being OP has no point, if the whole problem resides on how a user make use of it.
EE was considered OP , and it was. But i've never complained about it. I just AVOIDED to use it. I used just the tablet for transmuting and burning things, never used condenser because it made producing EMC too easy.

Dense ore is not an easy modifier. You might get lucky and get it easily , but no one pointed a gun in your head , forcing you to put that modifier to your age.
You think "dense ore" breaks the game? Simply don't use it in your Mystcraft Ages.

Problem Solved.

If you had read the thread, you would have noted that your comment was already posted several times, and addressed. The same with this comment. If you don't have anything new to add to the discussion, why are you replying? To make your post count larger? :D

b0h

Jul 29, 2019
Does someone need to stay silent if agrees to one point?
Am i forced to write "i agree with XXX" ?
If you do remember my first post, i used an analogy to avoid that. It was you who asked an extended explanation.

Except for SMP. One player can wreck the entire server economy.

True, but that's a Server Admin's problem he can deal with by disabling dense ore.
If the Admin doesn't, he probably feels that is not OP. And again, if you disagree, no one is forcing you to stay on the server. You can leave, if you don't like something. :)

4nic

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have Corruption turned off? if so then its cheating cause dense ores causes it

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
If you do remember my first post, i used an analogy to avoid that. It was you who asked an extended explanation.
There is "like" link in the corner. Try it:)

Froghandler

Jul 29, 2019

I asked why you posted. If you're merely repeating what someone else said, you're not contributing anything meaningful, you are merely posting for the sake of posting, which is silly. So again I ask: what is the purpose of your post?

Zealdd

Jul 29, 2019
Mod makers who make multiplayer mod's need to take in the fact that they need to thoroughly balance their mod because it takes 1 person to ruin it for the rest of everyone on SMP. Now for the factor if mystcraft is OP, it's not simply due to the fact that the dense ores are configurable. Configs are an admins best friend, use them. In a nutshell, config-less mystrcraft is definitely OP just having it in the game is OP, but limited and it gets fun.

DJ3

Jul 29, 2019
It is only OP if you make it OP. Don't make it OP. %appdata% > Roaming > .minecraft > config > mystcraft_config > problem=solved

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
It is only OP if you make it OP. Don't make it OP. %appdata% > Roaming > .minecraft > config > mystcraft_config > problem=solved
*rewind back to first post*
If you run a server and use Mystcraft, or don't want the temptation on single player, you will definitely want to set heavy_resources.enabled=false in Mystcraft config. I think this is pretty strong evidence that this tag should be set to false by default in the pack.
Is there an echo in here? It looks like most people are repeating the point made in the first post.

Oh, that's already been said, hasn't it? I think the problem is that the fact that Dense Ores are very OP, can break multiplayer, and can be turned off in the config by those that don't want it, is all so obvious that there's actually nothing to discuss in this thread so there was never really any point in replying in the first place, beyond incrementing post counts. But now that everyone's spent a few pages saying nothing new, we can discuss how no one is contributing anything meaningful, which is definitely a worthwhile topic.
[/sarcasm][/overgeneralisation][/pointlessness][/irony][/toomanyclosingtags][/selfdescriptivemetadata][/infiniterecursion][/tagbeforethelasttag][/lie][/cake][/portalreferencewhichisstillfunny][/moresarcasm]

Reactions: Vtecem and DaNerd27

wolfpax181

Jul 29, 2019
I'm amazed that the main complaint is Dense Ores. That's a time element, it doesn't really make things easier, it makes the race to the end-game faster.

What does actually make things easier is keeping an inter-dimension link book on your hot bar. You can very quickly escape any threat with that. I've even managed to save my items from a fall into lava with ease. If I had planned ahead I'm sure I would have saved myself as well since I would have ended up in a water block so I would have extinguished myself.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I'm amazed that the main complaint is Dense Ores. That's a time element, it doesn't really make things easier, it makes the race to the end-game faster.

What does actually make things easier is keeping an inter-dimension link book on your hot bar. You can very quickly escape any threat with that. I've even managed to save my items from a fall into lava with ease. If I had planned ahead I'm sure I would have saved myself as well since I would have ended up in a water block so I would have extinguished myself.
I'd love to have one of those. Alas, I'm nowhere near affording a linkbook modifier. (I also wish I hadn't stupidly moved my linkbook out of my hotbar the one time I fell through the surprisingly thin floor of my netherrack mine into some inconveniently placed lava. Just a few metres in any direction and I would have been fine :()

I find the ability to make a flat meadow full of villages (and TC3 dungeons) which is always daytime and never raining to be extremely powerful also :D (and that did not require many dimensions to be explored at all)

Reactions: ODST5123

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to have one of those. Alas, I'm nowhere near affording a linkbook modifier. (I also wish I hadn't stupidly moved my linkbook out of my hotbar the one time I fell through the surprisingly thin floor of my netherrack mine into some inconveniently placed lava. Just a few metres in any direction and I would have been fine :()
He said "INTER-dimension link book". That means he creates a stable age and makes link books in it, that can then be used. The water block (to teleport into) will be in this other age.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
So... on the one hand, you complain about Dense Ores being OP, then simultaneously point out how it isn't because you can simply disable it if you feel that way. Your point is what, precisely? Other than stating the obvious, of course.

Besides, 'server economy' is pure and simple silliness any time you allow players to make Mystcraft ages on their own, dense ores or not. Mining Turtle/Drill Cart/Quarry/Frame Quarry + random ages = phat lewtz. Rinse/wash/repeat in your next age when you mine out the immediate vicinity (or just move your linking book to a more convenient location).

Froghandler

Jul 29, 2019
So... on the one hand, you complain about Dense Ores being OP, then simultaneously point out how it isn't because you can simply disable it if you feel that way. Your point is what, precisely? Other than stating the obvious, of course.

We've already been through this; your post is simply restating others' posts, and has already been addressed. The stated intent by Slowpoke is to provide a basically balanced experience. For example, in a recent Livestream he stated that UU Matter is unbalanced out of the box, without adjustment from Gregtech etc. This is also the rationale for excluding certain mods such as Treecapitator. So, you are not arguing against me, you are arguing against Slowpoke :)

The "you can disable it" argument is negated by the "you can enable it if you want it" argument. What argument is left for keeping dense ores enabled by default?

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019

Is there an echo in here? It looks like most people are repeating the point made in the first post.

Oh, that's already been said, hasn't it? I think the problem is that the fact that Dense Ores are very OP, can break multiplayer, and can be turned off in the config by those that don't want it, is all so obvious that there's actually nothing to discuss in this thread so there was never really any point in replying in the first place, beyond incrementing post counts. But now that everyone's spent a few pages saying nothing new, we can discuss how no one is contributing anything meaningful, which is definitely a worthwhile topic.
[/sarcasm][/overgeneralisation][/pointlessness][/irony][/toomanyclosingtags][/selfdescriptivemetadata][/infiniterecursion][/tagbeforethelasttag][/lie][/cake][/portalreferencewhichisstillfunny][/moresarcasm]

Well if the discussion was ended in the first post, and he already knew the valid arguments why his basic assumptions are wrong... why bother posting?

Mystcraft basically is a fun thing for Singleplayer in which case the only person screwing yourself is yourself and in SMP Mystcraft is a useful tool to avoid stripmining-the overworld and such. We had the discussion of OP-ness before on very much every mod. Because most mods have some kind of OPness. But the thing is, Minecraft is no competitive game in regards to progress. So you basically play Minecraft to create stuff and if people find ressource-management more interesting they propably want to avoid some easy ressource-creation like mining-turtles, but if they want to build stuff they might go for easy ressource-gathering to have more time/ressources for building stuff.

This counts for SMP and SSP. In SMP you can for some degree interact with each other to avoid parts of the game you dislike, but still even with mods you might not want to use you are free to do so even in SMP.

And well Dense Ores... I never got it till know^^. Although I got crystals after about 80 Books, I have over 600 ages without dense ores. So I already invested tons of Paper and Leather, without much gain. I would wonder how much Diamonds this would make in EMC.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
TO keep it enabled by default is that the odds of finding it, without cheating, are low enough that, the odds of a book with low instability are low enough that it is not an imbalance. For every person who says "40 books" somebody says "500 books and none"

Froghandler

Jul 29, 2019

Yes, but there's also some good comments that add consideration, such as:

This is a good comment because it explores effects of dense ores on gameplay and shows other issues. While I don't think the argument is completely valid (resource collection considerations are a major part of progression through many mods, which have difficulty by requiring thought in setting up effective mining systems) but it nonetheless adds to the conversation.

Inter-dimensional linkbooks with following and book gates also directly competes with other transportation options, and does so much more effectively. However this is also a matter of play style; for example Direwolf20's playstyle takes advantage of linkbooks extensively, as well as Mystcraft. For the Mindcracker playstyle I'd say that the other transportation options are better, because they are more interesting from a builder's perspective. Thankfully with multiple modpacks out now, and more planned, these sorts of problems are avoided by providing packs that allow for simple downloads following the vision of the designers of the packs (and in the future you'll have the option to distribute packs for private servers, giving even more power.)

I find the ability to make a flat meadow full of villages (and TC3 dungeons) which is always daytime and never raining to be extremely powerful also :D (and that did not require many dimensions to be explored at all)

This is another good comment, as it points out other ways in which Mystcraft could be considered overpowered by some, or at least powerful. This gives more considerations that allow others to decide if Mystcraft features are right for their playstyle or server. In the end, that's what this thread is really about: to spread information that helps people make decisions in regards to the mods and modpacks they use. With this thread having nearly 7000 views, this goal is successful :)

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
Except for SMP. One player can wreck the entire server economy.
What economy? I really love how people keep talking about minecraft as if it had some bustling economy. As if it even mattered if one person was lucky and had more resources than someone else. I've never been to a server where people didn't share practically any resource anyways.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I'd love to know where this "objective" idea of balance and OP-ness came from. What makes Timber OP? That it takes time away from grinding? Why should everyone want to grind? Does everyone only have the goal of acquiring resources as their main goal in minecraft? There certainly aren't people that literally do nothing but play in creative making machines/buildings/traps/randombshere. Mods are not made solely for survival stop trying to force all of them to be balanced around it. Many mods have components that are indeed things that make most parts of survival trivial because that's what they're designed to do. If you find something in the pack takes away from the challenge that you set for yourself in the game; remove it. Regardless of it being said before.

Status
Not open for further replies.