My quarry is OP, where do I shove all my stone?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
If we're talking about needing scrap boxes, I guess I figure that's not early game. Neither are quarries, actually. But let's go with that anyway. If you put the diamond pipe adjacent to the quarry, there's no need for an engine - the quarry will just push stuff into the pipe. Voiding stuff is easy then, but if you want to keep the bulk stuff you'd want either: a.) a second set of ender chests or item tesseracts or b.) on-site processing of your cobble into scrap. So yeah, that could get (a little) expensive or just irritatingly fiddly. IMO if you have a quarry, you never need to store loads (> 200 stacks or so) of cobble as it's just so ridiculously easy to get. Plonk down a 9x9 quarry and an energy cell, and in 15 minutes you'll have 50-60 stacks of it, which will take you hours to actually place.

Item tesseracts would make a whole lot more sense than having the item sorting system next to the quarry and moving it every time you moved.

BC pipes have a limit to the amount of things they can hold before critical failure. I believe that limit is 100 by default. That is the major reason I would not suggest using them for dealing with mass amounts of stuff. If you change the config value for that (I set it to 100000 without any issues), you can go that direction.

But in ultimate, there are better ways to store things than the old fashion barrel systems (AE, for example).

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Item tesseracts would make a whole lot more sense than having the item sorting system next to the quarry and moving it every time you moved.

BC pipes have a limit to the amount of things they can hold before critical failure. I believe that limit is 100 by default. That is the major reason I would not suggest using them for dealing with mass amounts of stuff. If you change the config value for that (I set it to 100000 without any issues), you can go that direction.

But in ultimate, there are better ways to store things than the old fashion barrel systems (AE, for example).
Sheesh, isn't it early to start calling barrels "old fashioned"? We've only had the mod for like 4 months! ;)

Kidding aside, a diamond pipe can handle anything a quarry can throw at it, which even at its max speed can't be much more than about 3 or 4 items per second. I'll go look after this to try and verify I've got it right.

Reactions: AlanEsh

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I run a full speed quarry that sends items via tesseract to my workshop. The receiving tesseract has a diamond pipe directly attached, and 3 of the directions from that diamond pipe are set up to void various junk blocks. Multiple quarries might cause something like this to choke, but I've never had a problem with one full speed quarry.

/edit -- MrZwij and I need to divide the load rather than double posting with each other :p

Reactions: MrZwij

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
then put 6 filters on your enderchest and have your sorter inline

Filters to an in-line sorter is a great idea, except... isn't 6 on one ender chest a little excessive? Seems like one filter and a timer set to pulse every 2 seconds would be more than enough. My quarry is fast, but not so fast that it outputs more than a stack of whatever every 2 seconds...

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Sheesh, isn't it early to start calling barrels "old fashioned"? We've only had the mod for like 4 months! ;)

If we got a brand new modification every week, we'd have old fashioned storage systems monthly. In this case, we get a new, better way to store things about every three to six months. So, yes, it is perfectly acceptable.

It's one of the things people that aren't used to the computer industry end up finding bothersome, as hardware often ends up updating faster than most people like. You end up with a new "best" CPU, cell phone, GPU, or what have you every few months.

But yes, barrels are old fashioned now. Thankfully! Kidding not aside, in that regard, heh heh heh.

Kidding aside, a diamond pipe can handle anything a quarry can throw at it, which even at its max speed can't be much more than about 3 or 4 items per second. I'll go look after this to try and verify I've got it right.

Sounds good to me, and so long as you don't end up with a choke point, diamond pipes can surely work in that same regard. Between RP2 and BC, it could very well be a toss up. But between those and LogPipes, or AE, it's no contest at all.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Filters to an in-line sorter is a great idea, except... isn't 6 on one ender chest a little excessive? Seems like one filter and a timer set to pulse every 2 seconds would be more than enough. My quarry is fast, but not so fast that it outputs more than a stack of whatever every 2 seconds...
but it will only ever pull from the first slot (if there is something there) so you will find that you will get a ton of cobble, but very very very few of anything else as it will all stay untouched in your enderchest.

YooKahZee

Jul 29, 2019
Well you could just put it into a magma crucible, instead of netherack. Just an idea XD Youll probably get tons of lava out of it, but you do need power to run it so..

Hook up a magmatic engine to a magma crucible attached to an Iron Tank with liquiducts or whatever.
Then just put some lava in the magmatic engine to start it off and start pumping the cobble into the crucible.
Easy lava gen!

Just a suggestion xD

DaWhiskers

Jul 29, 2019
Tesseracts are your best friends here...

Quarry ---> Tesseract 1(send)

Tesseract 1(receive) ---> Diamond Pipe with void pipe for cobble etc ---> Tesseract 2(send)

Tesseract 2(receive) --> Sorting system

Happily clears the quarry/dirt/gravel/flint from my 4 quarrys running at max speed

By using the middle setup, all I have to place at the mining site is the quarry, item tesseract 1 and an energy tesseract.

Nerudian

Jul 29, 2019
Huh. Ok, the options I like so far are:
1) Turning them into furnaces. I'll use them later on when I'm making a metric ton of solar panels for hv compact solars. I used this system for a while, but still filled up two barrels with furnaces, so I went to the next option.
2) Void piping them, and that's what I've been doing so far.
3) Recycle and fabricate. GAWD, why didn't I think of that?! the scrap lottery and the mass fabricators could be used for TONS of things. So yeah, I'll start going down the ic2 tech path and see what I can do.

Thanks everyone for the input :D

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
By using the middle setup, all I have to place at the mining site is the quarry, item tesseract 1 and an energy tesseract.

Why not just do this:

Code:
Quarry

V

Tesseract#1 (SEND)

V

Tesseract#1 (RECEIVE)

V

Diamond pipe for voiding up to four things

V

Your sorting system

That way, things are voided the moment they come into the system if they are void worthy, otherwise they keep on going.

When you want to move your quarry, just move tesseract#1 (SEND) with your quarry. You could have as many quarries as you'd like set up with a tesseract#1 (SEND), energy tesseract, and quarry machine and be fine.

DaWhiskers

Jul 29, 2019
Why not just do this:

Code:
Quarry

V

Tesseract#1 (SEND)

V

Tesseract#1 (RECEIVE)

V

Diamond pipe for voiding up to four things

V

Your sorting system

That way, things are voided the moment they come into the system if they are void worthy, otherwise they keep on going.

When you want to move your quarry, just move tesseract#1 (SEND) with your quarry. You could have as many quarries as you'd like set up with a tesseract#1 (SEND), energy tesseract, and quarry machine and be fine.

No room next to my sorting system unfortunately, as originally I was using diamond pipes on my quarry, but since upgrading to more quarries, setting up more diamond pipes became a PITA :)

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
If you're on a server I would really recommend voiding your cobble anyway. It's very easy to screw up and have a bunch of quarries spewing entities into the world. And on a server that means you're likely to make it completely unplayable for everyone.

Even today our own admin managed to screw up and almost crash the server. :D

Reactions: netmc and MrZwij

19chiodowi

Jul 29, 2019
I would use a deep storeage unit if you just want to set it and forget it the deep storeage unit im pretty shure its enough storeage considering it can hold about 2 billion items or the equivelent of about 50 thousand barrels and then later you can make it into scrap for a massfab or just the randomness of scrapboxes

Reactions: EternalDensity

sir_schwick

Jul 29, 2019
Use your extra power generation(I know you have it) to operate a few fabrication facilities that use the cobble. Have the cobble filtered out by an Item Router under a conveyor belt. Here are the chains:

Cobble -> Sand -> Glass -> Glass Bricks(if you have the right mods)
Cobble -> Smooth Stone -> Stone Bricks
Cobble -> Smooth Stone -> Stone Slabs -> Stone Slab Bricks

You could have each product in the chain go by a Barrel with an Insertion Pipe before proceeding to the next step in the chain. Everything that gets past this system could go into a recycler setup and the extra voided.
You end up with a Barrel(or more if you set it up this way) of Cobble, Sand, Gravel, Glass, Glass Bricks, Smooth Stone, Stone Bricks, and a decent amount of Scrap. This should be plenty for any construction/cosmetic/UU needs and the rest is neatly voided.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
I would use a deep storeage unit if you just want to set it and forget it the deep storeage unit im pretty shure its enough storeage considering it can hold about 2 billion items or the equivelent of about 50 thousand barrels and then later you can make it into scrap for a massfab or just the randomness of scrapboxes
This thread is nearly 4 months old...

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
This thread is nearly 4 months old...

This was me seeing I got a "like" in this topic:
3oc09m.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.