My Minecraft E-Book

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
I've followed the Smashwords copyright guide (basically, its says to make sure you claim copyright to the book). Its my first go at self-publishing, still learning how it all works.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Yea but ya know, you're kinda monetizing your Minecraft stuff, and since Minecraft does not belong to you, it can be a bad thing.

Or not, what do I know. I ain't a lawyer

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
If you look at the Eula, I'd say that you're fine. You're not making money off of any of Mojang's content, really; their game is just the setting and basic framework. You're also not distributing any software using textures and assets directly.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, but on the other hand he is using Minecraft, a brand by Mojang AB, to generate revenue. Fan-art stops being fan-art when you need to pay for it

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not blazing a new trail here. There is other minecraft fiction out there, for sale.

Also, check it out. It would nice to get feedback from readers.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
It'll be free on Amazon for a bit starting tomorrow, assuming I hit the right buttons to make that happen. Readers wanted, reviews would be wonderful.

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
My first review came in from onlinebookclub.org, four stars!

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nether Here Nor There: A Minecraft Adventure" by John Connelly.]

id48070-125 Based on one today’s most popular games, Nether Here Nor There: A Minecraft Adventure by J. T. Connelly is a Science Fiction novel which follows a mind boggling, precarious adventure chock full of excitement and peculiarity.

When Amanda’s parents decide to “be in the moment” and organize a camping trip to a beautiful valley, which Amanda claims to be “the prettiest part of Hell”, all she feels is dread. Trapped in the idyllic countryside, sans electronics, it’s a trip she doesn’t look forward to. While exploring her surroundings and hammering rocks with her younger brother Paul, they stumble upon a portal and encounter Professor Mobius who wants them to complete a mission. As Amanda finds herself in a bizarre world comprised of physics, mystery and magic, she knows that her vacation is anything but tedious.

The main thematic concern of the novel is Minecraft. For those who don’t know, Minecraft is an online game that enables players to dig (mine) and build (craft) extraordinary creations out of three dimensional cubes. With the use of dramatic visualization, the square 3-D theme was highlighted throughout the story, and the basics of core gameplay were brought out well. I’ve learnt that there are several modes of Minecraft – from survival to creative, but with tricky missions and transition planes, there was much emphasis on the ‘adventure mode’; although the influence of several other modes could be observed. With no specific steps and goals, Minecraft is referred to as a sandbox game, which means the players create the game themselves. This concept was utilized effectively in the development of the plot and in characterization.

Though I envisioned Professor Mobius as a crazy genius, as the story progressed, I realized that he is the perfect embodiment of Minecraft. At a certain instance, he describes himself as “an inventor, tinkerer, privateer, scientist, and opportunist”, elucidating the sole purpose of the game – to mine and to craft.The transition of the characters Amanda and Paul from two ordinary children to hardcore fighters is quite interesting. The story reveals how the duo grows more insightful and experienced, learning from their mistakes throughout the hectic adventure.

The physics of Minecraft is often described as unrealistic, and it is evident that the author had put much effort in making the story sound believable. However, the alchemy in the story seemed a bit too far-fetched.

This fast paced story is written in third person, with the author paying much attention to detailed descriptions. Therefore, it is my opinion that a reader with a little knowledge of Minecraft could enjoy this story, as much as a Minecraft gamer. I’d recommend this book to Sci-Fi fanatics and Minecraft enthusiasts all around the world. With fireballs, cool inventions and daunting creatures, you know that there’ll never be a dull moment in the book. It’s the kind of book which can be enjoyed irrespective of the age of the reader, since it blends popular concepts in a most remarkable manner. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Nether Here Nor There: A Minecraft Adventure
View: on Bookshelves[/url]

Like VinuW's review? Post a comment saying so!

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
The link to the book on smashwords is dead. There is no link to the review you mention. I am not even sure I can write this off as spam. Your profile page on smashwords states that you like to play modded minecraft. It even states that you used a server to as a test bed, and inspiration for the book. It also states you only joined the site two months ago and have no works actually published on the site. If you play or support FTB it doesn't say it any where. It does state you use a custom mod pack for the server. You also have only three posts on this site and joined only slightly before you joined smashwords.

I've never read a minecraft book. It does sound slightly interesting. I will add it to my wishlist on amazon to look into possibly purchasing it in the future.

Good luck with your writing career. If I do end up buying it I will try and remember to actually read it and review it.

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=31470

Sorry there was a delay in publishing the review so that it was publicly available.

I unpublished from Smashwords after learning that Amazon drives about 90% of e-book sales, and they have advertising incentives if you go exclusive with them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017CMP760 is the correct link now, I will update my original post as well.

I run a small open server on FTB, 1ITLOLU8BT. I've been using it to test ideas and make sure the things I write about behave more-or-less as they do in-game.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=31470

Sorry there was a delay in publishing the review so that it was publicly available.

I unpublished from Smashwords after learning that Amazon drives about 90% of e-book sales, and they have advertising incentives if you go exclusive with them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017CMP760 is the correct link now, I will update my original post as well.

I run a small open server on FTB, 1ITLOLU8BT. I've been using it to test ideas and make sure the things I write about behave more-or-less as they do in-game.
I can't believe I just followed a link in a forum post and then actually used the site it sent me to to make a purchase. I know better then that. Oh well. From what I had seen the link was the same one as the one to the book I had on my wishlist. Guess I will load it onto my kindle to read over the weekend or something. I could just read it off my PC using the program provided by amazon for that. Should probably look into setting up another monitor just for that. Flip it 90 degrees so the pages look right. Think I will just stick to my kindle though. It is so much easier on my eyes, and controls a lot smoother.

Thanks for the info and links. I am certain it will be a interesting read.

Last edited:

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, I hope you enjoy it!
Read the first chapter. It went by pretty fast. Most the books I read take thirty pages just to tell you what the inn room (the party was staying at that one night only) looked like. This books author seems to have gone the opposite direction. Entire sections of possible story line are entirely skipped. Giving me a fast paced read that keeps my interest up with the details and story that are actually written down. Lot of stuff is left up to the imagination though. Which isn't a bad thing. I may not have artistic ability, I do have a imagination though, and it loves to go wild.

-snip-

I am really liking this book so far and actually looking forward to reading the rest of it. Thanks, I am thinking I will enjoy experiencing this book.

(entire post edited. It was in serous need of a attitude adjustment.)

Last edited:

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
I've been reading that teens prefer to have a physical book over an e-book. Ironically, I prefer paper books myself too. So I'm learning how to make a printed book using Amazon's Createspace, after I cleanup some typo's and other issues in the e-book. What are your thoughts about printed vs electronic books?

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I like printed books more then e-books. There requirements to access and use are much lower then e-books. They use paper, and I really like paper.

I used to have a library of over four hundred printed books. They took up three free standing books shelves. I found I wasn't reading so much though. I had owned most those books for twenty years and had only ever read a bookshelf of them. As I got older I found I read less and less. Now I pretty much don't read books at all. The printed books took up a lot of room. Which I needed for other clutter. So I gave most of them to someone I thought my be able to redistribute them.

I am now trying to go all digital. It is a scary thing to do. I think it will work alright though. I am feeling right now I would have as much chance of losing access to the digital content as I do the content that I have in my house. Last printed books I bought were the final three books of the wheel of time series.

I think both have big issues attached to them. Those issues for the most part are the same. If you are looking to get your material to the masses the masses need to know its there. I can easily remember all the popular authors that I like, and am able to find there content with no problem. When trying to find new authors worth reading it is a real hit and miss thing. The ease with which a author can get publishes has increased dramatically over the years. There are a lot more authors to choose from then there were when I was growing up. Not that the selection was small then. People die all the time. Books live forever. Guess it comes down to get yourself noticed and it won't matter what form your materials are published in. I people like them they will acquire them.

I haven't gotten much further in you book. I am still enjoying it vastly. I just don't read that much in the first place, or at all really. Trying to figure out the items you are describing has been interesting. I doesn't help I don't know what mods were in the custom pack referenced. Which brings up another point. Is there a inspirations page in there where the mods are referenced along with the rest. I have been able to recognize the reference so far. Would be nice to see a page saying this is where I got my inspiration, find them, throw money at them. Stuff like that.

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the feedback so far. My wife is a librarian, so we have piles of books too. I had a gap when I stopped reading, but have recently picked up the habit again.

I like your 'inspiration page' idea. I'll add something at the end, with patreon or donation links to the modders who have those.

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
Here is a draft of that page, let me know if you find any errors or omissions.

Final Thoughts

Most of the machines and odd creations mentioned in this book are inspired by Minecraft mods. Mods are small pieces of software, made by highly talented people who know how to code and write programs that add blocks and many other features to Minecraft. And they are free. I believe these dedicated modders are one of the reasons Minecraft is so successful, they add fascinating free new content, and there are thousands of mods available. My personal favorites are the mods that add machines, but you probably know that by now.

These free mods are constantly updated by their makers. This takes enormous time and effort. Not only do they need to keep pace with changes in Minecraft, they often need to ensure their software doesn’t break or interfere with other popular mods. It’s a ton of work. Many modders have donation links on their websites. Below is a list of all the modders whose creations inspired my book. I highly suggest you check them out, and donate to your favorites. This will help ensure they can keep up their great work.

Thermal Foundation (and other related mods) --TeamCoFH: www.patreon.com/TeamCoFH

Mekanism --Aidancbrady: http://www.patreon.com/user?u=260704

Rotarycraft and Reactorcraft --Reika: www.patreon.com/reikasminecraft

Minechem --Jakimfett: www.patreon.com/jakimfett

Big Reactors --Erogenous Beef: www.big-reactors.com

Tinkers Construct and Iguana’s Tweaks --Jadedcat, Bonusboni: www.patreon.com/mDiyo www.patreon.com/boni

Mystcraft --XCompWiz: www.binarymage.com

Forge –Lexmanos and many others: www.patreon.com/LexManos

Buildcraft --Asie: www.mod-buildcraft.com

Modular Powersuits –Machinemuse: www.machinemuse.net

Logistics Pipes --*Several Authors* minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/logistics-pipes

I would also recommend you go to www.technicpack.net and www.ftb.com for all the information on modded Minecraft you could ever read, and all the most expert help you could ever ask for.