Multiple machines with AE

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
This is the preferred technique. Get good at this, because you need to do it if you wanna automate more complex things like tesseract creation.

No routers needed at all for tesseracts. The setup on the left is for tesseracts, the right is redstone energy cells & condiuts.

2013-07-08_00.55.00.png

In reply to the OP- Another option to routers is to attach an ME interface to a RP2 buffer with tubes to various machines. For example, my furnace system:

2013-07-08_01.00.48.png

Routers would be much more compact, but the system pictured was built when I was using RP2 to sort everything and all I did was swap out the bulk of that system for AE. I haven't optimized everything yet as I'll be moving ALL my machines to a different part of my base soon.

Edit: I REALLY should get in the habit of reading the entire thread before replying :/

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
import and export bus and interface are all you realy need. each export bus can handle 8 ore/dust/ingot auto crafting and an interface can handle 9 craft recipes. if your crafting all stuff start to finish it's going to take time but you can speed it it up by making sure that the interfaces are not crafting more then one level for multi crafts aka iron ingots in one refined ingots in another that way there is not waiting for it to be done to do the next step

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
This is the preferred technique. Get good at this, because you need to do it if you wanna automate more complex things like tesseract creation.

...says the guy that wants to remove factorization (and thus..routers)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
...says the guy that wants to remove factorization (and thus..routers)

I do not use routers for any of my automation. Why would I need to? I only know of 2 places where routers actually shine, and for one of them an inventory turtle is about 10x better.[DOUBLEPOST=1373300488][/DOUBLEPOST]
No routers needed at all for tesseracts. The setup on the left is for tesseracts, the right is redstone energy cells & condiuts.

I use Extra Utilities transit pipes now for this. They're fantastic because they use push mechanics and do not have an inventory slot, so they're easy to set up such that the outputs of your ME Interface contraption feed back into the ME interface, saving you precious certus quartz on Yet Another Import Bus.

Every time I see a YTer make an import bus and not use something like an insertion pipe or a pusher system, I cringe a bit.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I do not use routers for any of my automation. Why would I need to? I only know of 2 places where routers actually shine, and for one of them an inventory turtle is about 10x better.

Load up Advancing and go look at my centrifuge farm. You can't even pretend an inventory turtle would even work, must less be better.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Load up Advancing and go look at my centrifuge farm. You can't even pretend an inventory turtle would even work, must less be better.

I'd do that other ways. Extra Utilities or Infinitubes come to mind as excellent choices.

I'm not saying Routers are not awesome. I'm just really curious if routers are enough to actually warrant factorization's inclusion. It is basically the Routers and Wrath Lamps mod as it stands. And Greg's lighting is back in the game, so now it's a routers mod.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I'd do that other ways. Extra Utilities or Infinitubes come to mind as excellent choices.

No, they don't. Routers primary purpose is to have a single point of loading and unloading for a large bank of identical machines. Having no pipes in the way is an added bonus. Neither EU or Infinitubes satisfy that need

I'm not saying Routers are not awesome. I'm just really curious if routers are enough to actually warrant factorization's inclusion.

Routers are what make large builds possible. I wouldn't even try otherwise. I've never made a wrath lamp, and have no intention of doing so, but I wouldn't be able to play as I play without routers.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
No, they don't. Routers primary purpose is to have a single point of loading and unloading for a large bank of identical machines. Having no pipes in the way is an added bonus. Neither EU or Infinitubes satisfy that need

Doesn't Infinitubes provide exactly this feature? You can push into one receptor and have it fan out to any number of endpoints. It is true you need pipes, but both proposed solutions only need one line of piping and can do pointwise filtering.

Again, this is just curiosity. You certainly build way past my scale, and I can see why you'd want routers at epic scale. If you say they're absolutely required and why I would be stupid to not believe you at this point.

Seriously, you build at a scale most people joke about and do it in a way that never even begins to hurt our busy server. Your chunks aren't even in the top four highest tick counts despite being vertically stacked with an insane degree of stuff. Big builds.

laod

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously, you build at a scale most people joke about and do it in a way that never even begins to hurt our busy server. Your chunks aren't even in the top four highest tick counts despite being vertically stacked with an insane degree of stuff. Big builds.

I would love to see this. DoctorOr, do you have a yt channel or screenshots some place?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't Infinitubes provide exactly this feature? You can push into one receptor and have it fan out to any number of endpoints. It is true you need pipes, but both proposed solutions only need one line of piping and can do pointwise filtering.

The funny thing is, on Advancing I used infinitubes to load and empty the routers. Now I've kinda succumbed to the "TESSERACTS ERRREYYYWHEREE!!"

Imagine a bank of centrifuges with infinitubes though. You need three dislocators per machine in the bank (one to load the input, one to load cells, and one to extract all four outputs) In 1.5.2, nothing is really "sided" anymore, so it doesn't matter what sides you connect things too, but along with power you now have 4 sides needed for the machine. Meaning you can only really tile along one axis, and you need to connect the tubes up as well. You end up with something like this

On the left, 48 centrifuges (8 by two tall by 3 deep) with 3 routers filled by infinitubes with an ability to expand left right and lengthwise indefinitely at no increase in routers. On the right, 16 centrifuges (8 side by side with power in between) directly filled/extracted 48 translocators.

2013-07-08_10.56.39.png

The Infinitubes will load and extract the machines faster than the router, at a cost of more server usage (but still less than an equivalent RP or BC setup)

Extra Utilities pipes uses the same space, doesn't need power, and is going to be slower. Alot slower. Speed of these pipes decrease as the size of the network increases.

I would love to see this. DoctorOr, do you have a yt channel or screenshots some place?
Nope. My system really isn't up to par to make recordings, as it's a laptop that doesn't have a SSD

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
How do routers work? Do they just find the next available correct slot?

Or what are these dislocators?

Tbh, I've never tried to play with them, though I haven't found a situation where I couldn't use other methods instead. It might be a good option, but it's fun finding alternatives, despite being more complex/memory heavy. Then again, I am running off an SSD and my processor is one, maybe two generations old (quad core, year old).