Multiple machines with AE

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

xjjon

Jul 29, 2019
So I have a machine for each ore/ingot in my auto-crafting production line with AE but it is still slow. I have 3OCs + HV going into the machines but I wish to make it faster.

I tried to use multiple machines with the same recipe but it seems to still only use one. Is there any way around this? Thanks.

xjjon

Jul 29, 2019
Yes but some things cannot be overclocked? Like induction furnace (TE) and Rolling machine?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Yes but some things cannot be overclocked? Like induction furnace (TE) and Rolling machine?

Ah I see what you mean now... As far as I know you cant use more than one machine for one recipie as you've found. The only way to speed up auto-crafting with things that need items from rolling machine etc is to keep a stock of items in storage to instantly craft and then the stock is slowly refilled. Not sure if you can do this with AE but with Logistics Pipes I just use a supplier pipe to keep a set number of items ready.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
If it's an auto-crafting setup that requires no input on your part couldn't you set it so the materials you want processed go through an item tesseract to a chain of machines that output the processed materials into another tesseract and eventually back into AE? Or are you doing the click to auto-craft thing? If so you probably could still manage a way to do it using an interface and doing what I mentioned earlier. I'll admit I'm not too familiar with AE but it would seem separating the machines directly from the system and having the items go through a separate system would bypass machine limitations.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Have a level detector that will keep x amount of the item you need in the ME-system.

It's not a complete solution, i.e. if you have a higher demand than what's pre-crafted, then you're SoL. The point is that you can always have at least some crafted. It might take a bit of foresight, in knowing the rate you need that item and preparing for such.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Use a stack of machines and a couple of routers. ae -> input router -> machines -> output router -> ae

This is the preferred technique. Get good at this, because you need to do it if you wanna automate more complex things like tesseract creation.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
This is the preferred technique. Get good at this, because you need to do it if you wanna automate more complex things like tesseract creation.
i`d say there is no need for using routers for tesseract creation, but it might result in more compact build.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Applied Energistics is a very handy mod but it has some limitations. AlgorithmX2 has said that his mod is best used with other logistics systems too. Instead of putting the ME interface with the encoded pattern directly on the machine, consider putting it next to a chest and then use another system to distribute items evenly between a bank of machines. If you have MFR installed, item routers are very good at evenly splitting inputs. That way you can run several machines at once in parallel from the same pattern.

By the way, I don't get why people have ore processing done with patterns. If you bring your mining income into your AE system why not use export buses to distribute ores to processing as soon as they come in. And if you do want to have some ores left over turn the export bus off with a level emitter or some other mechanism.

Reactions: shockwave95

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019

I have a slightly expensive but workable setup. I just use one crucible/transposer for both liquid ender, redstone and glowstone. I would only recommend doing this once you have a ton of spare redstone, ender eyes and glowstone because it takes alot to get started (especially redstone). I like my setup and I only did it after running a couple of quarries and some heavy minium stone usage. It is probably not as good as the router thing though.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
That's where I think item tesseracts with properly set up diamond pipes or item routers would be amazing. Set up your sorter in the center and have tesseracts on all sides to sort all of the items towards their proper destinations before injecting them into the AE network. If you tell something to go to two different destinations doesn't it split between the two evenly or something?

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I will note something that I discovered recently for keeping X amount of a particular (craftable) item in the system.

To auto-craft continuously, place a precision (or fuzzy) export bus next to an interface, and set to craft only. It'll basically just keep crafting and shoving stuff into the network (I tend to use it for alvearies and other long-time recipies.

You can throw a level emitter next to the export bus to control levels, but that's the basic principal.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
That's where I think item tesseracts with properly set up diamond pipes or item routers would be amazing. Set up your sorter in the center and have tesseracts on all sides to sort all of the items towards their proper destinations before injecting them into the AE network. If you tell something to go to two different destinations doesn't it split between the two evenly or something?
Based on probability it should be even, but it's probability. Quantum physics :3

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
So it should work to some extent then. This would mean you could send some items to be processed and split it from what you may want in your AE system. So you could, for example, have a tree farm sending logs to be planked, others to be charcoaled, and others sent into your system directly using such a mix. Using Item tesseracts this would also cut down a bit on size since you could have sorting nodes based on frequencies, such as sending items to be pulverized to 1, furnace to 2, packaged to 3, AE network to 4, etc. You could probably also use the chances for items to split to make a loop where, say, half of your items goes to the input tesseract to be split again.

This makes me wonder if the item routers work the same as diamond pipes since if they split it evenly no matter what that would be really good for this kind of stuff.

Edit: Just set up a small system and indeed item routers are just like diamond pipes in the way they split. That said the system would work fairly well. You can use a single node to split items between three destinations, AE, and then a default destination. For the default destination anything not tagged will go to it while you could, say, split items between going directly to AE and being processed. You could also tweak this so you can have some items split between different forms of processing.

Now to actually build a system without creative :p

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Too lazy to read all that.

He's a good example of what I did.

When I had a non-AE sorting system (i.e. just transport pipes) and I wanted to send more of one item to one place, than another. Say, my tree farm was producing a lot more wood than what I wanted to save.

1. I split it in half. Two side of a diamond pipe were set to wood, theoretically it should be half.
2. I wanted more to be recycled/turned to charcoal, so I set a third side to the diamond pipe to wood, but put its output to the same as one side.

Now the ratio is 2:1, or 66% and 33%.

By using this logic you can successfully approximate the ratios to which you want to split up your items. Luckily the same sides of a diamond pipe can be used to discern multiple items. Even if you need those items to go to different places, another subsequent diamond pipe is all you need.

Transport pipes are so much more fun than AE, but the power of import/export buses. Cake man, cake.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I have only just started using diamond pipes (part of my RP2 rehab) so I cant really tell anyone how item routers compare to diamond pipes in all functionality. But I ran a test earlier that some of you might be interested in. I ran a full stack in one go down a conveyor into an item router. It got split 22:21:21 down three routes. I was able to repeat this consistently. I then threw items onto the same conveyor one at a time. First, it appeared to remember which side it last sent an item down and send the current item down on the next route clockwise. After more extensive testing I found that this was not completely true but it still does a reasonable job at splitting items up evenly if it gets them quickly.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I am not sure what's built into the API. It'd be a lot more work to program, than to just unbiasedly apply the probabilities, given this situation.

I've never used routers or the such. I find ways around them using the logic of pipes, simply for the challenge. It's more rewarding in that sense as well. This is my sorting system for all the stuff I get from quarries. If you are organized enough in your thinking, it's not too difficult.

BZ9Rio1.jpg

I71guPx.jpg

jlyrD43.jpg

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
That is basically what I was saying you could do, but replacing the transport pipes with tesseracts for space. Yours would basically be a lower tier version of my vision~