Most ridiculous power supply

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Holy Knife

Jul 29, 2019
What can I use to get the weirdest power supply. Last world I was using Sewage as fertilizer for my MFR farm, but now I want something completely ridiculous.

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
I am running my farm off of cocoa beans into a bio Reactor into steam boilers. Another good suggestion would be MFR meat. You can burn that in generators I believe

Signature or Sign-Nature?

Lord Wumbo

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: Oh golly, realized I made a huge mistake in the number of water mills.

An entire chunk filled with water mills with the maximum possible water blocks each would allow for 36 water mills per layer. For a 251 block tall system, that is 125 layers. This is a total of 4500 water mills. There can be an additional 9 water mills at the top, capping off the tower of wire and water mills. So 4509 water mills.

Each mill gets 21 water blocks, 3 occupied by wire, and 2 occupied by other water mills. The exception is the top water mills that cap off the towers, which have 1 occupied by wire and 4 occupied by water mills, but they still get the same amount of water blocks.

This is 94689 water blocks. Each one produces 0.01 eu/tick. This provides us with 946.89 eu/tick. Note that this is 24/7, unlike solar panels, and is 100% free (unless you use bees) unlike an automated nuclear reactor. That is the fission reactor using uranium, not the fusion one in GregTech. And this is also 100% constant and reliable, unlike wind mills which give constantly fluctuating amounts of power. This also requires no pipes, yay.

This is however a very large system, which leads me to the ridiculous costs. Starting with the tank, the tank needs to hold 15x15x251 space inside it. So the tank must be 17x17x252. Assuming you are building this in a perfectly flat plains biome with ground level at Y:64, you must hollow out a space 59 blocks deep, excluding wiring, which may take a variable amount of space depending on how you do it. This is also requiring the very top to be at the height limit. The underground portion requires digging out 13275 blocks. Easy with a quarry, but this would take almost 9 diamond pickaxes (unenchanted). This is assuming there are no caves or lava or anything else you might have to deal with.

Above ground, the actual built part is a height of 192 blocks. Each face of the tank has an area of 3264 meters squared. The tank would require 12288 blocks for the tank.

Talk about alot of building before hand.

When making the water mills, they come in batches of 2, so you will end with an extra water mill. Woot woot.

You would still need 2255 generators, and 9020 sticks and planks (unless using GregTech, where you would need 9020 aluminium) which is 3383 logs, with 2 planks to spare.
Each generator needs 8 cobblestone and 8 iron. Which is 18040 of each. Luckily you will get all that cobblestone from digging out the area for the tank.
Each generator also needs 4 tin and 2 redstone, which is 9020 tin and 4510 redstone.
Each generator also needs some insulated copper wire, which leads to 2255 rubber needed and 1128 copper.

So a total of:
3383 logs
18040 cobblestone
18040 iron
9020 tin
4510 redstone
2255 rubber
1128 copper

And resources for the cables needed to carry power and energy storage units at the right spots for 0% energy loss.

If you read the above spoiler, yea, the cost and size of this is just ridiculous, for the equivalent of like 3 HV solar arrays or something like that. Probably better than any fission reactor though in terms of power output, and alot safer, so you have to give it that.

An entire chunk filled with water mills. That'd be 49 water mills per layer. With 251 blocks tall (using up almost the entire height of the chunk. I like to leave space at the bottom to walk around) that'd be 125 layers. That's 6125 water mills. With a potential of 26 blocks of water around each mill, there is sadly only 24 blocks of water per water-mill, excluding the top ones, which get 25. Each water block is 0.01 eu/tick.

All but 49 water mills get only 24 blocks, so let's do some quick math.

6076*0.24 + 49*0.25 =
1458.24 + 12.25 = 1470.49

That's a whopping 1470.49 eu/tick all day. To get this equivalent amount, you would need around 5 HV solar arrays (since they only work half the day)

So you have an entire power plant taking up 56475 blocks (15*15*251) and this is ignoring cables at the bottom and whatever you want, when you could get the equivalent in only 5 blocks of space.

Also (assuming you aren't using GregTech) that is 6125 water mills.
Raw Materials needed JUST FOR THE GENERATORS is insane.
4595 logs, 2 planks to spare.
24504 cobblestone
24504 iron (3 eighths of which has to be refined)
6126 redstone
12252 tin
6126 rubber
3063 copper

Also, this is ignoring cost of cables and energy storage units at the right places (for zero eu loss)

Fairly ridiculous in my mind. Haven't built this so it's all math, but if you build it, I kinda wanna see a picture. Cooler with glass walls too. Tell us how well this power source works out for you.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
My current system in my project (link below in sig) is using cactus. It turns cactus into cactus charcoal and into cactus coke and then finaly into coke. It is not fast but it is basicly free once built it only needs time no other input and gives you coal coke which you can use how you see fit.

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
My current system in my project (link below in sig) is using cactus. It turns cactus into cactus charcoal and into cactus coke and then finaly into coke. It is not fast but it is basicly free once built it only needs time no other input and gives you coal coke which you can use how you see fit.
You can also burn the creosote for more power!

Signature or Sign-Nature?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I've powered my base off of seeds from a melon farm once.

When I am done with this base, I will be using methane to power my matterfab (most likely). The methane will be coming from my farms. ie: barley -> flour -> bread -> methane. I am using MFR Fertilizers with this, so I'm sure I can get a nice throughput with the basic 9x9 farm once I can keep it stocked with fertilizer.

A multi-stage process is to use ic2 biofuel in GT diesel generators. You could also use ic2 fuel cans with the secret extras for more punch.

If on GT, make a clay factory using river bees or the clay generated from the sludge boiler (MFR) to convert to lithium, then burn the lithium.

Setup camp near a dark node (thaumcraft), use pure bees to purify the aspects out if the flux and into crystalized aspects. convert the aspects into essence, and burn them in a magic energy converter (GT)

You could also do the same thing using a magma slime + enderman spawner to make eyes of ender to then burn in the magic energy converter.

Use the MFR auto-enchanter to enchant books or other items, then strip off the enchantment in the GT magic energy absorber. (no idea if this is power positive)

You could also do the whole coke oven -> creosote oil -> railcraft boiler. By my calculations, it would need almost 60 coke ovens running off wood, to make enough creosote oil to power a max size HP boiler.

Use a block placer (RP2 deployer or dynamo from Thaumic Tinkerer) to place down bog earth, then use a piston on a timer to push the bog earth along a water lined channel. use a block breaker to collect the peat. Use with ash and propolis to make bitmous peat, and burn in peat engines, RC boiler, or even the ic2 generator.

The list is pretty endless. I work backwards for a lot of my builds. I normally look at my list of engines and generators, and see what my valid fuel choices are. Then I go from there and see how I can generate each fuel. I normally like maintenance free loops, so I work towards that end.

Reactions: loboca

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I'm doing something similar to Saice, but I'm using a sugarcane farm for sugar instead. It's purely power positive because I use golems to farm, and redstone engines for everything else.

Of course, using oil for everything, all the way through to endgame, is one thing you could do.

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
Working on making a Creosote 36HP Boiler atm, with Cacti providing the Creosote (.03 per, compared to woods .25 :D). My previous calculations of 450 Coke Ovens was sadly insufficent I'm currently building more.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
You can also burn the creosote for more power!

Or use it to dupe iron with TConstruct and rails (there is no config option to turn it off, so I'm bitching about it ;)). It is specially bad in current packs, which include UE recipe for steel.

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
Working on making a Creosote 36HP Boiler atm, with Cacti providing the Creosote (.03 per, compared to woods .25 :D). My previous calculations of 450 Coke Ovens was sadly insufficent I'm currently building more.
It would be easier to power a solid fueled firebox 36HP boiler with the cactus coke and solid materials

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
It would be easier to power a solid fueled firebox 36HP boiler with the cactus coke and solid materials

If I wanted easy I got thousands of buckets of fuel layin around I could have used, this is a because-I-can sort of thing.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
I think you would need 500 ovens lol

Shenzo

Jul 29, 2019
Squid powered boilers
put a squid in front of a rancher and it'll produce 1 ink per second the put the ink sacs on biofuel using a bioreactor( 4 bioreactor are needed if you don't want to void ink sacs)
I run 2 36hp liquid boiler with 3 rancher and 12 bioreactors and biofuel is overflowing ;)

Reactions: Museli

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
Squid powered boilers
put a squid in front of a rancher and it'll produce 1 ink per second the put the ink sacs on biofuel using a bioreactor( 4 bioreactor are needed if you don't want to void ink sacs)
I run 2 36hp liquid boiler with 3 rancher and 12 bioreactors and biofuel is overflowing ;)
You are telling me bio reactors can run on ink sacs?

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
I would rate this for the weirdest method of creating power. I'm using this now! :'D

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Squid powered boilers

i wonder if biotech is in playable state yet... milk power would be a nice addition to this.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
pfft. power your base with solar slaves.

Join a server - blackmail/extort/bludgeon/whatever them into working for you. Strap solar helmets to their heads and static boots to their feet. Make them run a treadmill sitting over a drain charge pad forever (make sure the top of the room is open). each player will generate approx 1.1 eu/t so you will need to get a lot of them, but this is the most evil form of power gen.