More questions about gates

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
So I routinely run into this problem and I'm wondering if/how people generally deal with it.

I'll describe my current setup, but the question is really generic.

A pneumatic tube feeds stuff into a barrel. Under the barrel, I have a wooden pipe -> golden pipe -> other inventory (tesseract in this case, but it doesn't matter).

I have a gold AND gate on the golden pipe, and a gold autarchic gate on the wooden pipe, both are connected with a wire. The gold and gate is set to turn on the red wire if there's space in inventory, and the autarchic gate is set to pulse if there's a red pipe signal and if nothing is in the pipe.

First, there's two problems here. AND gates don't seem to be working as AND gates. This morning I built the setup above and even when the red pipe wire was not active, the autarchic gate was pulsing because the pipe was empty. I thought an and gate would have to satisfy both conditions. I can't figure that one out.

Second, and the problem that I was posting about, is the time it takes for something to cross inventories is greater than the time required to pulse again. When the inventory fills up, there's always at least one item in the pipe (usually one per section of pipe, it seems) that flies out when it reaches the end.

I don't ever see people complaining about this, so I've got to be missing something obvious (again). Thoughts?

Thanks

foshka

Jul 29, 2019
Well, and gates are working for me. The second issue has to do with a recent update. Autarchic gates no longer have a slow warm up period (I had an opposite issue, some of my autarchic gates would never go fast.)

One solution would be to use the insertion properties of diamond gates to throw excess into the void. Otherwise I dont know, gates dont have very useful inventory sensing levels. Have you tried redpower pulling items?

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
huh..thought I replied to this earlier, but I guess the internets ate it.

I've not made very many diamond gates, what do you mean by insertion properties?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I am slightly confused about how a tesseract can be full.

If it's a generic question, the answer depends on whether the inventory is a machine with only one input slot, or something with several slots (chest, hopper, relay, ...). Also whether or not you're fine with disposing of the excess items in a void pipe. It's pretty much a 2x2 matrix of possible solutions, pick one and I'll describe it for you.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
The other end of the tesseract is a hopper attached to a fermenter.

When the hopper is full, the tesseract seems to accept one more item, and then disconnects itself from the buildcraft pipe.

I do not mind void piping the results excess. It ends up being about 1 sapling in 5 at my current use rate, but I'm bringing in far more than I'd lose. It's better than leaving them around on the ground.

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
To handle your 2nd question first, you can use a diamond pipe as such:

2013-02-06_09.30.40.png 2013-02-06_09.30.43.png

The scenerio: Move lava cans into a geo-gen(the 2nd chest in my example). If we fill up, return the cans back to the 'input' chest.

The blue connection of the diamond pipe is the inlet. Put something in the diamond's pipe filters for blue that won't be traversing the pipe(as seen in my second pic). Then put the items we want to go into our 'geo-gen' into the red connection's filter spot. Leaving the white/grey connection's filter untouched.

What happens is when items get to the diamond pipe the pipe checks to see if the item matches any of it's filters. if it does the pipe sends the item through the respective outlet. If no filter matches are made, it will then randomly select an outlet that has nothing in it's filter spots(if any - at which time it will just shoot the item out of the pipe) .

A few notes:
You don't need to 'return' items back to the input 'chest' if you wished, you could void pipe them or send them else where.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Then the easiest solution is a diamond pipe. Set it up like so:

End pointing to the tesseract: whatever you want to go through (saplings?)
End pointing to a void pipe: empty
End pointing to the wooden pipe: put any item here that you are sure will never enter the system.

Items coming from the barrel will hit the diamond pipe. If possible, they will take the specified route (to the tesseract). If that is full, they will go down the "default" route with nothing selected - into a void pipe. The random item is there to make sure nothing will ever backflow into the input.

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
End pointing to the tesseract: whatever you want to go through (saplings?)
End pointing to a void pipe: empty
End pointing to the wooden pipe: put any item here that you are sure will never enter the system.
Beat ya to it :p

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Ok. Diamond pipe makes sense. I was still focusing on the diamond gate comment from earlier. I should have room for a void pipe in the system.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Just to clarify, is the Autarchic gate an AND gate also?
the only thing that it sounds like is, it's acting like an OR gate

And it would be possible to set up a third condition to slow down the pulse rate, set one to when there's no redstone signal it can pulse, and plonk a timer/sequencer down next to it. You'd have to fiddle around with the timing on those to get it to work smoothly, but every time they pulse, the autarchic gate can't, so you could adjust it to run at 50% speed for example.