More efficient/completely safe nuclear reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Whats the most efficient setup for a completely safe nuclear reactor (i.e. there's enough heat vents in there to dissipate all the heat)? My current setup I came up with on my own, and its pretty good, but i've had a mass fabricator for a while now, and either I give it energy after the power is transformed to LV, in which case it takes forever, or I power it from my MFSU directly, which is quick, but drains the MFSU really fast, even with my reactor, as well a geothermal generator and 9 advanced solar panels. In short: whats the best reactor setup?

I should add, i've not been using the duo or quad uranium cells, because i've heard they're bugged so they decay quicker than they're supposed to. Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet?

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
I think the duals and quads are fixed.

I use a setup with just component and overclocked vents that has 12 duals and generates 360 EU/t (76,000,000 total EU). A guy on my server has a more efficient one that uses 7 quads and generates 480 EU/t - I'm probably going to steal his design. It's also time for me to start using all the thorium and plutonium I'm stockpiling.

This is the design I use: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...zx3dm9lx4a017gypeys5qjxtmtrlpa5vaaiko7uk9cpa8

SeniLiX

Jul 29, 2019
They may be decaying quicker, but at the same time, they give off twice as much EU as they should (At least for the quad cells which I use)

But to cut the story short, then there is no "best setup" The possibilities are endless when it comes to setting up your nuclear reactor.
Check this link for an easy way to play around with setups: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...ayoko8zipxsmvnaljzlzwhq05r5yiqemmi6x3kvpl6sqo
It supports both Vanilla IC and GT ;)

Also, browse around the IC forums, you will find an entire section for Nuclear engineering alone!

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
@MrSwij All I can say is WOW; just tried your design, made me realise how pathetic my own is by comparison. The MFSU is fillinf up even with the mass fab right next to it. It cost me a lot of copper, but thanks, this was really helpful :)

Reactions: MrZwij

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
@MrSwij All I can say is WOW; just tried your design, made me realise how pathetic my own is by comparison. The MFSU is fillinf up even with the mass fab right next to it. It cost me a lot of copper, but thanks, this was really helpful :)
Awesome! But in the interest of full disclosure it's not my design - I found it on the IC2 forums.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
This design from IC2 forum is probably the most bang for your buck reactor:
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...qr867wl4ylcn4qdoix3yd83b78y8enonfoolys5g23280

100Eu/t. Nothing to replace and no running costs. Double and quad cells consume some resources each cycle that you have to get more of or use UU on to keep going.

Start with the above and if you like nuclear power your second build should be a breeder reactor to get 8 uranium cells out of each ingot. You can do something super basic and just get enriched uranium cells back for each full uranium cell you consume or a true hot breeder will let you re-charge multiple isotope cells from one uranium cell.
Something like this will run safely at 18k+ temp and give you 6-7 recharges.
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...u607bld1zz49ok322d46i6av3b4xd437e7pf0z28ip91c

After that you can go for 200-300 EU/t designs.

I have the two above in my world and am putting together materials to start this chain I came up with:
160 EU/t
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...ndgkeejubjuu4afa02rxfzg5c6rcvepq5eduqujd7vpxc
||
240 EU/t
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...ld8dobyd4yepqwiwcndfzoljkwz8fruo2o1nkz2l0m0hs
||
300 EU/t
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...wwt2ldu4jk5v8trvxgaz6zlqdnr3f60khgpuu9u6seznk

Each one of the above just builders off the one before, so upgrade costs for each design are cheap.

DudeDnB

Jul 29, 2019
Peppe, I really like your 300 EU/t design. Very efficient and lots of power safely and cheaply, which is not always an easy combination to achieve.

Here is the design I've been working with lately, it's 240 EU/t eff. 4:

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...8jdhcq3bcxv1ykmmtjfvz7taqr4pn8vu9ud7dskzvgtfk

It runs a bit hot, so i can't repeat it over and over, but that's fine for my play-style. I'll definately be using some of the designs on here to play around with.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
The 300 design can also run at 280 and slightly higher efficiency. You could trim some cooling out too, but sometimes it is nice to run more power generation vs more fuel efficiency.
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...363ec5f0q32akvrsahm42plb6zdhst8g9ympvoq1jmiv4

IC2 reactors are so cool. I wish greg/IC2 would nerf solar panels or buff reactors. Safe designs are pretty easy to pull off with the help of a simulator (in game could really use some more indicators to the palyer).

Looks like you are using greg tech. If efficiency is your goal then building greg's reflectors should be a priority for you.

Normal reflectors eat up efficiency in their cost to replace, but greg's are permanent.
You take a basic design like this quad uranium:
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...izidw9f44784ggxl4ks3nvtbw3ty0gbfg5qt6blzlk3k0
Runs at the max 7 efficiency, but cost to replace reflectors each run eats up 60% of the output.

Grind out the resources to get greg's reflectors though and suddenly you are only paying for the copper to make the quad cell:
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...5bb7rpy06z65dpbhoehj4jcc0r93y5x5fw43evsh6xhc0

Using those reflectors will get every last ounce of power out of your fuel rods.

huldu

Jul 29, 2019
I totally agree with the above poster. That is the only reason I would pick and actually play/enjoy gregtech. If the solar panels were removed from the game. Any "free" power needs a MASSIVE nerf in IC2, yeah, that means solar panels, water/wind mills, I'd even go for the geothermal generator as well. The reactor is where it's suppose to be at, not some cheesy super builds of "free" power devices. But as long they're still there what's the point even bothering, if you're going to actually balance things you need to break a few eggs.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with the balance of Geothermal Generators is not the Geothermal Generators. It's Mystcraft portals and server-wide Enderchests. Just considering IC2 and its add-ons, the only way I see to get the Nether lava or power from it across the dimensions without manually doing so would be to use GregTech's Interdimensional Energy Storage Unit. Unfortunately that makes balancing them more tricky than just needing a blanket nerf.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with the balance of Geothermal Generators is not the Geothermal Generators. It's Mystcraft portals and server-wide Enderchests. Just considering IC2 and its add-ons, the only way I see to get the Nether lava or power from it across the dimensions without manually doing so would be to use GregTech's Interdimensional Energy Storage Unit. Unfortunately that makes balancing them more tricky than just needing a blanket nerf.

This is true, but now you have to consider the Magma Crucible, as plowing through netherrack manually (with Efficiency) only takes a short trip and you are set for hours. Likewise, running a quarry (assuming no cross-dimension transfer) to drop off the netherrack at the entry, or even bottling up lava from the pump on the other side only takes a few minutes to collect. This is a difficult point to balance - but with lava being such a generous resource on both power nets (geotherms and boilers) it currently makes it a very attractive option. Toning down the geotherms and perhaps removing lava containers as a valid solid fuelbox entry might be a cleaner solution. I'm not advocating either change, but the lava situation is a "hotly contested" topic. Yuk yuk.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding lava. with gregtech and extradimensional lava exploits it becomes even more of an issue.
you can centrifuge lava and get your tin cells back and then some. with the help of TE effectively turning netherrack into an infinite source of tin,gold,iron and other goodies. (not really infinite.... but you would have to actually run out of nether to run out of this resource). So it's not only energy that is being broken in between some of these mods.

Anything that let's you create lava at a low cost breaks the geotherms and other magma based fuel sources.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Disable pumps working in the Nether and remove the netherrack recipe (that's only there because of the lag created by all the pumps anyway). Presto: now lava is a finite resource again. Lava is a nice 'starter' powersource but you can't build a whole IC2 base just on the lava that's naturally 'there'. Even if you get lucky with a lot of it under your base you'll run out quite fast.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Disable pumps working in the Nether and remove the netherrack recipe (that's only there because of the lag created by all the pumps anyway). Presto: now lava is a finite resource again. Lava is a nice 'starter' powersource but you can't build a whole IC2 base just on the lava that's naturally 'there'. Even if you get lucky with a lot of it under your base you'll run out quite fast.

I try to play that way. draining the nether does horrendous damage to my FPS, and well.. I feel it's cheaty to do the whole interdimensional exploit thing tbh. same goes for making quarry ages in mystcraft.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding lava. with gregtech and extradimensional lava exploits it becomes even more of an issue.
you can centrifuge lava and get your tin cells back and then some. with the help of TE effectively turning netherrack into an infinite source of tin,gold,iron and other goodies. (not really infinite.... but you would have to actually run out of nether to run out of this resource). So it's not only energy that is being broken in between some of these mods.

Anything that let's you create lava at a low cost breaks the geotherms and other magma based fuel sources.

The 1.4.2 recipe: 64 lava cells = 40 tin, 4 gold, 32 pyrite dust, 1 wolframium cell. 2500 seconds (42 minutes), 250k EU.
The 1.4.6 recipe: 64 lava cells = 40 tin, 6 electrum, 16 copper, and 1 tungsten dust. 2500 seconds (42 minutes), 250k EU.

Based on that, Greg doesn't seem too worried about the tin equation or TE's potential role in its creation (if anyone pays attention to this kind of thing, it's him). The tungsten dust can still be turned into wolframium in an extra step, or made into an ingot.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
The 1.4.2 recipe: 64 lava cells = 40 tin, 4 gold, 32 pyrite dust, 1 wolframium cell. 2500 seconds (42 minutes), 250k EU.
The 1.4.6 recipe: 64 lava cells = 40 tin, 6 electrum, 16 copper, and 1 tungsten dust. 2500 seconds (42 minutes), 250k EU.

Based on that, Greg doesn't seem too worried about the tin equation or TE's potential role in its creation (if anyone pays attention to this kind of thing, it's him). The tungsten dust can still be turned into wolframium in an extra step, or made into an ingot.

Thing is. with lava being an approximately infinite resource trough the nether exploit, you can have a quarry in the nether, and lava pumps constantly feeding a large bank of centrifuges, magma crucibles and geothermal generators, and end up with a massive resource pile for only a relatively modest investement. once set up this thing can be kept going for days without further inputs. suddenly those barrel upgrades becomes a much needed item just to hold the stacks of goodies you collect without further effort.
The setup you see in Etho's Mindcrack FTB series is not all that difficult to make. (even easier with the use of redpower).
It's basically a fire and forget system.

Pie

Jul 29, 2019
DarthVader45, I have made a completely safe super high efficiency reactor with Quad Cells!
Mark 1 EB, and it's got max efficiency.
420 EU/t, which is the best out there (I think)
If anyone has one that makes more EU/t, please notify everyone on here!
Link: Mark I EB <--- Reactor.

Rick Spencer

Jul 29, 2019
2720 EU/t reactor with 0 heat and 0 cool down....

I'm very new to this reactor stuff but in 5 mins I had a design that output 1200 EU/t and then by the 15 min mark I had it up to 2720 EU/t... 0 Core Heat and a total output of 1,088,000,000 EU over the 5 and a half hours for its run time.

There is 0 cool down time and infinite cycles. the efficiency is only 4.86 but I think its worth it when you realize that you would need 1,088 MFSU's to hold all the power generated.

If you want to have a look at my design then here it is....
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/v3/reactorplanner.html

Status
Not open for further replies.