Monster, Shader's, Sphax and memory usage

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cacofiend

Jul 29, 2019
I apologize if this isn't the correct forum, but it seemed about the most appropriate place.

Anyway, I have 16GB of system memory, and it's just not enough for all this, apparently.

I'm trying to use:
FTB Monster - 1.0.10
Sphax PureBDCraft x128 (for Monster)
GLSL Shader's Mod (updated by Karyonix)

For all intents and purposes, I can't run it. Even if I give the heap enough to load into the game before crashing, I'm looking at a slideshow (along with hideously washed out Sphax textures) and nearly all of my memory being eaten (according to the task manager). And then, if I try to select different Shader's, the game hangs until it shuts down.

I'm wondering if anyone is successfully running all of this, and how much memory it's eating. Further, if you -have- gotten it to work, I'd love some advice. Anyway, for reference, I'm running a clean install of Windows 7, so...

At my desktop, I'm using about 1.5GB.
With just Monster and default textures - 7GB
Monster and Sphax - 7.7GB
Monster, Sphax, Optifine/Shaders - 14.2GB (game will not load unless at least 7GB is allotted to the heap).

Pardon the pun, but is this the nature of the beast, or is this needlessly excessive?

Reactions: RealSketch

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Shaders are leggy as all hell and so are 128x texture packs. Yeah, it's pretty much impossible to combine the two in a serious modpack (or even either of them alone, in fact).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Tbh, IMO shaders is something you want to use in a limited sized modpack only when you are doing screenshots etc. to show off. You cannot run them with something like Monster which on its own will require almost all your resources(at least if you actually intend to build something more than a dirt hovel).

And personally I wouldn't even go as far as using a 128x texture pack for normal play either. 64x is plenty for a good daily experience. Again you can always load a 128x for show if you really feel you need to.

And be careful that you don't allocate too much memory. With a 64x texturepack 3GB seems to be enough.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
You need to include information like your system specs. Throwing memory at a performance problem is pointless if its an issue with your processor or video card.

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019
This is why I don't focus too much on graphics. My computer is 4 years old already with 4 gigabytes of RAM so I can only use 64x texture packs (eg. Soartex, Jadedcat mixpack) And even then my computer can't handle the "Far" view range. I allocated 3 gigabytes of ram to the game.

Cacofiend

Jul 29, 2019
You need to include information like your system specs. Throwing memory at a performance problem is pointless if its an issue with your processor or video card.

Normally, I would agree with you. However in this case, it was pretty clear what the underlying problem was, which is why I asked the question.

But if it makes a difference:
These are the more pertinent components. If there is something I didn't list I should have, feel free to let me know, but as the crash reports and behavior of the program indicated, I'm fairly certain the problem was contained to memory.

AMD FX-8350
Asus Sabertooth 990FX
16 GB Crucial Ballistix 1600
Nvidia GTX 780 3 GB
240 GB Corsair GS SSD (boot drive)/960GB Crucial M500 (game drive)

All components have been tested for faults/errors and all pass with flying colors.

I know that assigning too much memory to the heap is undesirable, but again, it wouldn't even boot without going well over my normally allotted 3 GB. But based on the responses I'm seeing, perhaps it's a lost cause. Thank you very much for the replies all.

lcd

Jul 29, 2019
I thought I was the only one who unlocked (while only having 4 gigs allocated) the "Use over 15gigs of memory on a near default Monster modpack in a world that has very few machines" achievement with just Sphax 64 (I don't use shaders)..

Not sure if this is unique to me but if you have 2 javaw.exe running when the game is running like me...for an unknown reason, killing the one that isn't using much memory increases the games performance slightly, but it probably wouldn't help at all in your case

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I apologize if this isn't the correct forum, but it seemed about the most appropriate place.

Anyway, I have 16GB of system memory, and it's just not enough for all this, apparently.

I'm trying to use:
FTB Monster - 1.0.10
Sphax PureBDCraft x128 (for Monster)
GLSL Shader's Mod (updated by Karyonix)

For all intents and purposes, I can't run it. Even if I give the heap enough to load into the game before crashing, I'm looking at a slideshow (along with hideously washed out Sphax textures) and nearly all of my memory being eaten (according to the task manager). And then, if I try to select different Shader's, the game hangs until it shuts down.

I'm wondering if anyone is successfully running all of this, and how much memory it's eating. Further, if you -have- gotten it to work, I'd love some advice. Anyway, for reference, I'm running a clean install of Windows 7, so...

At my desktop, I'm using about 1.5GB.
With just Monster and default textures - 7GB
Monster and Sphax - 7.7GB
Monster, Sphax, Optifine/Shaders - 14.2GB (game will not load unless at least 7GB is allotted to the heap).

Pardon the pun, but is this the nature of the beast, or is this needlessly excessive?
It's a shame you have to use 128x textures for shaders, then again, if it wasn't that high it wouldn't give the realistic feature shaders are supposed to give. Sorry I couldn't help.

Cacofiend

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if this is unique to me but if you have 2 javaw.exe running when the game is running like me...for an unknown reason, killing the one that isn't using much memory increases the games performance slightly, but it probably wouldn't help at all in your case

As far as I can tell, there's only 1 instance of java actually going at a time.

It's a shame you have to use 128x textures for shaders, then again, if it wasn't that high it wouldn't give the realistic feature shaders are supposed to give. Sorry I couldn't help.
Well, I suppose I don't have to, it was just a vanity thing. I've already dropped back to 64x textures anyway, to cut down on the initial game start time.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I thought I was the only one who unlocked (while only having 4 gigs allocated) the "Use over 15gigs of memory on a near default Monster modpack in a world that has very few machines" achievement with just Sphax 64 (I don't use shaders)..
That is exactly why you shouldn't have 4GB allocated... 2GB without texture packs, 3GB with 64x should be enough.
The more you give it, the more it takes(and completely wastes). In this case the less possible is better.

MrJims

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I can tell, there's only 1 instance of java actually going at a time.

When I play there are always two instances of javaw.exe in the task manager. One of them uses all the resources and the other about 1% of cpu. It could be because I have set the option that reloads ftb after you finish playing.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
When I play there are always two instances of javaw.exe in the task manager. One of them uses all the resources and the other about 1% of cpu. It could be because I have set the option that reloads ftb after you finish playing.
I think one of them is the console, but not sure. It is quite normal anyway.

Reactions: Padfoote