Modpack Download without launcher

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Darth Sith

Jul 29, 2019
There is nothing wrong with a Mac or Linux (Related conversation), the PC market is failing right now if you guys didn't know. DarklingGX is actually playing it safe as of right now. If you haven't noticed the childish "scroogle" campaign that Microsoft is doing right now. That's them trying extremely hard to beat Chromebooks but they're making it worst for themselves because Chromebooks are becoming more and more popular, and to think two years ago Microsoft laughed at the Chromebook idea. xD

Edit: Grammar
How do I completely uninstall java?
You can't Java comes pre-installed with newer Macs. Please don't quote me on this because I bet there is a way, but I'm a little bit to lazy to think about it right now. My guess to the reason Java comes pre-installed is because Java isn't compatible with Macintosh. :p

Last edited:

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
There is nothing wrong with a Mac or Linux (Related conversation), the PC market is failing right not if you guys didn't know. DarklingGX is actually playing it safe as of right now. If you haven't noticed the childish "scroogle" campaign that Microsoft is doing right now. That's them trying extremely hard to beat Chromebooks but they're making it worst for themselves because Chromebooks are becoming more and more popular, and to thing two years ago Microsoft laughed at the Chromebook idea. xD

You can't Java comes pre-installed with newer Macs. Please don't quote me on this because I bet there is a way, but I'm a little bit to lazy to think about it right now. :p
Agreed the java preinstall is why I needed a command file and the PC market is failing (why I have a Mac) due to Apple + Chromebooks

Darth Sith

Jul 29, 2019
You're funny. Like I can get away selling the family computer. Macs are better than pc in every aspect except for games and programming. I aint giving my computer u.
"Macs are better than pc in every aspect except for games and programming." Did you just say a Mac isn't good for programming!?! Where did this logic come from?!?! I have no words.

[DOUBLEPOST=1388882594][/DOUBLEPOST]
The problem was a mismatch between Apple's java version and FTB's it may be solved :p
Sometimes that does happen, Apple updates their version of Java much slower than the Linux and Windows version. I'm glad you solved it. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Strikingwolf

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
you can stick with your overpriced fruit machines... I'm quite happy with my non-failing, able to play whateverthehellIwant PC, thanks.

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
I have been in the situation where the launcher would load for me, but would not run the modpack properly (it was complicated, not exactly a bug in the launcher). I was able to get the modpack URL out of the launcher as it tried to start up the game, download that file and put it as an instance on the mojang launcher (once forge is installed).

As for not being able to get the packs without the launcher, it is possible, just hard. You just need to do the process that the launcher does manually (dowload the packs XML, find the filename, calculate the date hash and then put the pieces together). (To those without premium, while you are browsing the source code of the launcher trying to decipher it, maybe you might learn that you should BUY THE GAME!!)

Aside: My Macbook pro runs Ubuntu quite fine.

starmon8472

Jul 29, 2019
There is nothing wrong with a Mac or Linux (Related conversation), the PC market is failing right now if you guys didn't know. DarklingGX is actually playing it safe as of right now. If you haven't noticed the childish "scroogle" campaign that Microsoft is doing right now. That's them trying extremely hard to beat Chromebooks but they're making it worst for themselves because Chromebooks are becoming more and more popular, and to think two years ago Microsoft laughed at the Chromebook idea. xD

I didn't know Microsoft having a 80-90% market share is in the PC market, to include real laptops (netbooks/chromebooks aren't real laptops, they are just big tablet) is failing, fyi you would have to say the same for Macs because of them being in the PC market also.
Normal people can't use Linux so they don't count.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
To the question at hand, the answer is, in fact, yes. The universal config files are available here, and the changelog site gives listings of all the mods, their versions and download pages. You are welcome to download them all and put them in place. HOWEVER, you'll still need java to, you know, run minecraft.

If you mean, is there anywhere, other than the launcher, that you can get all the packs in one easily downloadable file, then, no, for the reasons mentioned previously.

WRT the flamewar that the thread has become, Mac/PC is a choice, down to the person with the money, and desire to buy something. There is no wrong choice, and each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. I'm not going to go into detail about java, and it's troubleshooting procedures, as it's all been said already.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
To the question at hand, the answer is, in fact, yes. The universal config files are available here, and the changelog site gives listings of all the mods, their versions and download pages. You are welcome to download them all and put them in place. HOWEVER, you'll still need java to, you know, run minecraft.

If you mean, is there anywhere, other than the launcher, that you can get all the packs in one easily downloadable file, then, no, for the reasons mentioned previously.

WRT the flamewar that the thread has become, Mac/PC is a choice, down to the person with the money, and desire to buy something. There is no wrong choice, and each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. I'm not going to go into detail about java, and it's troubleshooting procedures, as it's all been said already.
I agree with your reasoning. One of the only reasons I like Macs more is their programming capabilities and fast operation (not in gaming, but in general). However I need those things others do not

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I only ever use IOS 7,and it is superior to Mac, PC, Linux, all of that doesn't compare.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with your reasoning. One of the only reasons I like Macs more is their programming capabilities and fast operation (not in gaming, but in general). However I need those things others do not
You want my personal opinion, it's that OSX is better for what I do. What I do is networking research, and I typically prefer a stack that isn't borked. The Unix base, and all that entails, is handy, although Apple's tendency to steadily remove aspects of the OS with little warning is somewhat infuriating.

I have a windows gaming machine, because, for compatibility, there is no parallel, OSX laptop, because I want it to work when I turn it on, and linux server, because I like seeing things like:
Code:
uptime

15:28:58 up 30 days, 22:00,  1 user,  load average: 0.08, 0.03, 0.05

Darth Sith

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't know Microsoft having a 80-90% market share is in the PC market, to include real laptops (netbooks/chromebooks aren't real laptops, they are just big tablet) is failing, fyi you would have to say the same for Macs because of them being in the PC market also.
Normal people can't use Linux so they don't count.
What I'm saying is Microsoft (In the past few months) have started to fail especially with that horrible OS that is Windows 8. Windows 8 is killing Microsoft, If you knew what Microsoft was planning with Windows 8, I can guarantee you that you'll install Ubuntu and never recommend Windows again. Also I believe that Macs don't count in the PC market since its more of Windows failing which leads to Microsoft failing because that's where they get their most income from (Microsoft makes more money on selling Windows than a peasant machine).

Last edited: