Moderators: They make you lose count(Longest thread still alive!)

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
21 Because alpha testing (as I understand it) is limited to the developers and their coworkers/whatever (or, in my case, just me, as I have no siblings or close IRL friends to test things on); as soon as a version is opened to the public, it's a beta.

Also because there's no jar yet, so to test it you'd have to clone my git repository and compile it yourself. But I can fix that.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
22 @Someone Else 37 alpha is just the state you consider it in. For example the creator of rimworld still sees it as an alpha (while I would say its either a beta or even full release unless it became a lot less stable in the last update)
Generally
alpha->bugs, bugs everywhere and most features aren't yet done. Probably some missing textures as well for features that are done. Expect a lot of breakage and changes to the program
beta->still plenty of bugs, most features are done but suspect changes along the way.
full release-> still bus, all features are done and nothing should change

also, you don't need a jar to release it. xscreensaver for example also only provides its source.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
24 If you didn't want to compile you should have totally put in code that will check how long ago it was since the user updated the mod and complains and insults in all caps if it was too long ago, even for as far as I understand it if there is no newer version available.

Yes, there is a program out there that works that way (*cough* xscreensaver *cough*)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
25 But, in my case, generating a jar is no more work than testing the mod in my development environment- in fact, the jar-generating command is shorter, and the client-running command needs to compile anyway. And besides, I'd have to make jars before I can do any kind of public release.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
26 it was a joke, about how (am I justified to say this?)Idiotic the creator of xscreensaver is.
I will repeat it one more time.
He has no installer what so ever (not even a drag and drop kind of install like MMC)
His "warning" is IN ALL CAPS!
He doesn't check if there is actually a new version available
The warning will popup each reboot of your computer and can't be turned off (except by editing his code)

In short, this guy managed to one up reika in terms of irritating (I am very mild here) update checks.
Oh, btw I should have his personal mail somewhere because he apparently thinks that it is a good idea to have that as a way to report bugs >_>