Modded in 1.13?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I know kinda the expectation was modded was going to settle into 1.12 for a couple of years. But wow, the snapshots are looking really really good. Buried Treasure, new multi-blocks, dolphins, sunken ships, and a ton more. Part of me wants a new 1.7 style era with tons of mods and such but part of me wants to play in 1.13 when it comes out.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
I am really enjoying seeing all the new cool stuff you can do with water now.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
NC, at the risk of agreeing (partially) with you: yeah 1.13 modded will be neat, but I'm very content to let that stew simmer for a while and get even better. Let's hope we can enjoy 1.12 quietly for a little while longer.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm ambivalent (I have feelings on both sides of it); on the one hand, it is cool to have the new stuff (though it's quite the departure from previous stuff!) but on the other 1.12 is really coming along well, with some awesome packs coming out for it now - I know it's potentially ignoring new stuff, but to be honest, I don't think we're losing all that much - bearing in mind that modded, when it has chance to mature, has even neater stuff!

Reactions: Pyure

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Does 1.13 come with major mod-breaking code changes? If not, then we definitely won't settle on 1.12 and the cycle continues. If it does, then it's going to be a bit before things get caught back up. I think that's realistically the bigger factor than how cool the new content is.

Previously, I had the notion that it's better for the modding community to get into a good stopping point like 1.7, but the more I ponder on it, the more I realize that the "glory days" of 1.7 are never going to be topped. Infinity will never be dethroned. And... That's ok.

You can't recreate the past and expect to do better. The future of modded minecraft, IMO, is in custom packs and packs designed to hit specific notes. Variety. Different looks. Different goals. That's arguably better than a single monolithic experience in the long run, and the sooner people stop chasing the original king of modpacks the better. It's also OK to leave some stuff for Vanilla to be Vanilla. Vanilla is its own experience. It has its own goals, its own dangers, its own rewards.

There's more to a golden era than just the sum of its parts. 1.7 happened organically, and is preserved in that state forever. Some parts of what inspired that era was the emergence of all these mods that we now take for granted. There's no way to recapture that feeling with just new versions of the same mechanics. Now, the only way to create a new classic is to diverge from that norm. I think that's where we are now, and I think that's where we're heading.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
As I heard things V1.13 mods would need to be mostly rewritten due to internal system changes in MC.

I haven't heard much on this topic recently so plans may have changed at Mojang, but 1.13 was supposed to be the start of rewriting Java MC and developing C++ MC to be able to run the same mod "source code" (C#) and be able to have both client versions run on the same servers.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Almost all the 1.13 visual content (mobs/worldgen/water mechanics ect) could be backported into 1.12 with comparative ease. (compared with the apparent complexity of some of the mods already on 1.12)

As long as theres a few modders out there who can find time to do the work; you can have both.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That's already a mod out there for 1.7, too. Et futurum. Goes back and fills in things like the granite/andesite/diorite and water temples and things like that. No reason it couldn't be done with most of the stuff that new minecraft versions add in.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Almost all the 1.13 visual content (mobs/worldgen/water mechanics ect) could be backported into 1.12 with comparative ease. (compared with the apparent complexity of some of the mods already on 1.12)

As long as theres a few modders out there who can find time to do the work; you can have both.

But the most important change (getting rid of metadata and thus the 4096 block id limit) can't easily be done without internal changes to Minecraft. And *that* is going to be the major nice thing on 1.13 which will allow mods to do much more then they do now. And yes, I know there is the NotEnoughIDs mod but it is much much nicer if this is supported from within Minecraft itself.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
But the most important change (getting rid of metadata and thus the 4096 block id limit) can't easily be done without internal changes to Minecraft. And *that* is going to be the major nice thing on 1.13 which will allow mods to do much more then they do now. And yes, I know there is the NotEnoughIDs mod but it is much much nicer if this is supported from within Minecraft itself.
That's interesting! So are you looking forward to the change to 1.13, and will you be working on porting ahead sooner rather than later? That's the first time I've really heard any positive perspectives on the mechanical changes post 1.13!

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
That's interesting! So are you looking forward to the change to 1.13, and will you be working on porting ahead sooner rather than later? That's the first time I've really heard any positive perspectives on the mechanical changes post 1.13!

I'm probably going to jump on the 1.13 train sooner rather than later. I'm personally very interested in all the new mechanics (both from a programming perspective and from player perspective as I really love building under water bases).

As a matter of fact I recently already adapted all my mods to be a bit easier to port to 1.13 by getting rid of most places in code where I have to use meta and centralizing all of that in my McJtyLib mod. By doing that I will hopefully have made the 1.13 port slightly easier (although it will probably remain a big job).

However, on the other hand. I *do* hope that 1.12 gets a chance to get some really nice and rich modpacks and I certainly plan on supporting my 1.12 mods for as long as it is needed for those packs.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm probably going to jump on the 1.13 train sooner rather than later. I'm personally very interested in all the new mechanics (both from a programming perspective and from player perspective as I really love building under water bases).

As a matter of fact I recently already adapted all my mods to be a bit easier to port to 1.13 by getting rid of most places in code where I have to use meta and centralizing all of that in my McJtyLib mod. By doing that I will hopefully have made the 1.13 port slightly easier (although it will probably remain a big job).

However, on the other hand. I *do* hope that 1.12 gets a chance to get some really nice and rich modpacks and I certainly plan on supporting my 1.12 mods for as long as it is needed for those packs.
Oh cool! :) Well, that's pretty awesome. I'm really liking the look of some of the 1.12 packs we're seeing now, so to know that you're planning to maintain support for the foreseeable is great news!

Reactions: Pyure