• Tinker's Construct

Votes: 38 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
The whole point of this discussion was that I, Edit for ease of viewing.

The simple solution to your issue is then to make a pack that suits your needs & post it here, the debate is starting to take a turn into the "you don't agree, then you just don't understand" your point has been made often & pointedly, is it not time to let it rest & move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Type1Ninja

Caesura

Jul 29, 2019
The .... it is not time to let it rest & move on.

Hrm, I'm not being ignorant here, I'm just looking for problems and solutions. The problem is I have neither the time nor knowledge to sort out a pack that would suit what I describe, I can only hope for Resurrection to be what I hope it will be. It's problematic just shoving a load of mods in due to Gregtech, which doesn't agree with a lot, and would require the touch of a proper modder. If you meant 'it is time' then what do you want to move and talk about?... No practical solutions have been put forward yet, which I guess was too much to hope for.

pAznik

Jul 29, 2019
Well, we all play Minecraft in different ways. I actually more or less still play vanilla minecraft, i like to build towns and villages i use mods just to make stuff easier for me (i dont like mining and chopping wood too much). But i play with tons of staff from BC to Pam's harvest, some mods for tech and some mods for aesthetics. Usually it happens that i only use one thing from mod, which has a lot of things, this is probably because i don't know those mods very well. I often don't even know from which mod something actually is, but i quickly discover that something is missing and can't enjoy the pack, that's why i usually play and stay on kitchensink packs. But unfortunately for me i also love quests from HQM, which is not part of any huge pack. It's always part of some small pack, driven with heavy story which i usually don't care to much, i just like the motivation that quests give me to do something new,and also awards rules. So at the end, for me would be prefect if i could just vote for mod and they would make a quest line for specific mod, so i can learn more about it. For this mod of the mount packs i will try them, to learn something, but at the end i will go back to my world where i spent a lot of hours building a medeavel city and I do not want to quit.

PS: TNX FTB team, for Curse, now i can finally add mods without destroying everything ;)

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
... i also love quests from HQM, which is not part of any huge pack. It's always part of some small pack, driven with heavy story which i usually don't care to much, i just like the motivation that quests give me to do something new,and also awards rules. So at the end, for me would be prefect if i could just vote for mod and they would make a quest line for specific mod, so i can learn more about it. For this mod of the mount packs i will try them, to learn something, but at the end i will go back to my world where i spent a lot of hours building a medeavel city and I do not want to quit.
Well, my pack has quests designed to show you a bunch of mods without forcing you down a certain path. There's no magic (I tend to restrict myself to very specific themes), but you have lots of tech to play with. :)
Link in siggy. :p
To stay on topic: I'd like to see Matter Overdrive as a mod base. It's really cool. PHAAAASERS! :D

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. I'm going to add a third view to this "restriction for creativity" discussion.
There is something to be said for making the end-game harder in order to make it work to get there, and make the mid-game more restrictive to encourage creativity. That is certainly one way to encourage a smarter building. I think there's another way to do that, though: make everything easier. In my pack (Colony, link in sig), I've gone through and made a ton of stuff easier to build, with the idea that if the complicated, interesting stuff is cheaper, more people will use it, as the reward is greater with less expense. So far, it's going alright; with my Galacticraft tweaks, for example, going to and building on the moon has become a reality. I've never gotten to the moon with default GC because everything is such a pain in the butt to get. Now, though, on a server I've played on, there's a fully-fledged moon base complete with Quantum-Tunnel-y thing from AE2, oxygen supplies, and a beautiful base built out of Chisel blocks. If everything had bee harder or even at default difficulty, I would've gotten bored and played something else. :p
One other thing: there really isn't a way to make people get creative with their builds without also making them stop playing. As such, I suggest you try playing in creative mode with a friend or two and having a small competition: decide on a task to automate - crafting florbs, perhaps - and then see who can get the most efficient/minimal form/outlandishly complex build (florbs, as it turns out, are really interesting to automate). I did that, and it was a lot of fun. :)

Making things easier is actualy an idea that works. Just take a look at material energy resources out the nose that are easy to get. But it's really fun to play.

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
might as well play creative
...I'm not even gonna try to reply to that with words
tumblr_inline_mqmf4e8Gnm1qz4rgp_zps9caqzwdx.gif

Anyway... IMO it's not the pack/mod's fault that people rush to endgame and then get bored and leave, it's their own playing style's fault and even if it takes longer to get to endgame, they'll still get bored and leave once they reach their goal. Making everything harder makes those with a more laid back playing style suffer as it takes them several real life days to make the item they need.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Kaikaku

Jul 29, 2019
You could add ComputerCraft to next month's list, although it's probaly not mainstream. This way we could also get a light weight mod pack for sharing programs via world saves (needs some sort of chunk loading included).

Caesura

Jul 29, 2019
Anyway... IMO it's not the pack/mod's fault that people rush to endgame and then get bored and leave, it's their own playing style's fault and even if it takes longer to get to endgame, they'll still get bored and leave once they reach their goal. Making everything harder makes those with a more laid back playing style suffer as it takes them several real life days to make the item they need.

Except there are already plenty of laid back packs to play out there. And yes, the way people are talking about getting to end game and then making useful things makes me wonder why they don't just play creative. I don't want to go on and make my argument for functionality making things far more interesting again, so I'll end that thought train here.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Except there are already plenty of laid out packs to play out there. And yes, the way people are talking about getting to end game and then making useful things makes me wonder why they don't just play creative. I don't want to go on and make my argument for functionality making things far more interesting again, so I'll end that thought train here.
The proportion of "easy" packs is significantly lower than it used to be. Even large, kitchen sink packs appear to be leaning in the direction of difficulty; it seems like almost all third party packs have Hunger Overhaul and are labeled "Hardcore." So, while it isn't true that there aren't ANY laid back packs, saying that there are plenty is a bit of a stretch.
The reason why we don't play creative is that there still needs to be a challenge. I enjoy challenging myself to mine the diamonds, gold, and iron to build a quarry, even though I've reduced the cost to be much smaller. I enjoy having to deal with food issues early game, pushing me to build automatic farms, even though this task is very easy. The fact that other machines are cheaper doesn't push me away from automating stuff to get more resources for it; it makes me want to do that because it takes less time to set up, and is therefore more rewarding for less time and effort (both of which can be hard to come by depending on real life circumstances; entertainment should be easy and refreshing when real life is hard). I'm not saying there isn't an appeal to harder packs; I very much see the appeal of them. Personally, I don't have the patience. :p

TL;DR: "Why don't we just play creative?" Because making everything cheap doesn't take away the appeal of automating it. Maybe it does so for some people, including yourself, but I can say from personal experience that it's still enjoyable for many people.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Hey guys, if you want to continue this discussion can we make a thread about it somewhere so we aren't filling the news thread with this? I've found the discussion interesting so far, but it's time it gets its own home if it's going to continue.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, if you want to continue this discussion can we make a thread about it somewhere so we aren't filling the news thread with this? I've found the discussion interesting so far, but it's time it gets its own home if it's going to continue.

If you are going to ask that you should make the thread and post a link to it or the topic will probably gust get broken up into several topics.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
If you are going to ask that you should make the thread and post a link to it or the topic will probably gust get broken up into several topics.

I left it for those involved in the debate. If one of them wishes to continue it they can make their own thread. This community has handled doing that without issue many times in the past, there is absolutely no need for me to do it for them.

Tigerlore

Jul 29, 2019
How about Chocolate's Quest, DoomLike Dungeons, etc. Make Hexxit II, basically. There's a huge demand and Technic is, well... who knows? Don't call it Hexxit II, obviously, but make it what Hexxit II should be. Slap Technic in the face with it; maybe they'll wake up and finally put out a 1.7.10 pack.

Tigerlore

Jul 29, 2019
Technic gave more information about their 1.7.10 packs yesterday. Apparently the first one is coming before the end of June.
I hope they follow through and make their launcher an honest third choice, at the very least. I still hope FTB comes out with a Hexxit II competitor, or else I'll need to update my Technic launcher.

Dylz101

Jul 29, 2019
Flaxbeard's Steam Power is probably the first newer mod that I got into in a long time, and one that I thoroughly enjoyed. Kind of surprised that it's not on the list, especially when it can work with other steam mods.

Flaxbeards mod is great, but I feel that it is slightly lacking some content and I can't really get the amount of gameplay out of it that I would have liked.

Anyway I voted for Railcraft as it is a mod that I would like to play more with.

Status
Not open for further replies.