Mod Books

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
I do not like the API idea. That way each author has to include just another Mod and has to do all the work on his own. And as soon as the API changes, all sucks up.
I'd prefer the Bookmod being a kind of simple html parser (surely something like that is included in java already, no?). The mod could search all the jars and subfolders of the mods folder for a special .html page (maybe docu.html) and add all that it finds to an index.
Now either you can have a press to print a book for each entry of the index or some kind of kindle or ipad to browse all books or maybe both so that the player can choose.
This way
a) Any mod author could provide info for his mod without having to include another API
b) HTML is a pretty cool standard that lots of people know
c) anyone could make a ingame doku and send it to the author of either the mod or the bookmod
d) The work has to be done only once for ingame and wiki
e) the docu.html could even link to the wiki (presumed web access available)
f) anyone can easily add tutorials (even cross-mod) or serverrules
g) maybe full web access would be possible (though I don't think I'd implement flash or javascript or the like)

Reactions: casilleroatr

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
I do not have the time to do that.

I dont know your mod but how do you expect people to be able to use a mod without some info about it? There is nothing like "I dont have time"... then take the time to write something about it.

MrJims

Jul 29, 2019
I dont know your mod but how do you expect people to be able to use a mod without some info about it? There is nothing like "I dont have time"... then take the time to write something about it.

He did take the time. He put all the info in a book you get when you start a new game.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I do not like the API idea. That way each author has to include just another Mod and has to do all the work on his own. And as soon as the API changes, all sucks up.
I'd prefer the Bookmod being a kind of simple html parser (surely something like that is included in java already, no?). The mod could search all the jars and subfolders of the mods folder for a special .html page (maybe docu.html) and add all that it finds to an index.
Now either you can have a press to print a book for each entry of the index or some kind of kindle or ipad to browse all books or maybe both so that the player can choose.
This way
a) Any mod author could provide info for his mod without having to include another API
b) HTML is a pretty cool standard that lots of people know
c) anyone could make a ingame doku and send it to the author of either the mod or the bookmod
d) The work has to be done only once for ingame and wiki
e) the docu.html could even link to the wiki (presumed web access available)
f) anyone can easily add tutorials (even cross-mod) or serverrules
g) maybe full web access would be possible (though I don't think I'd implement flash or javascript or the like)

Thanks for the explanation, that does sound more practical. I sympathise with the idea that this is just one more API for modders to support and, if I were to make this mod, I would want to make it as simple as possible for a modder to submit information for a book. I also like the idea that non-mod authors can submit book schematics to be made into an in-game book by the mod. To be honest, that is where I see most potential in a mod like this. Members of the community providing useful information while the modders are making the mods they wanna make (and we wanna play). Of course, modders will still be free to document their own mods in any way they see fit.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Writing "I do not have time" took 15 seconds. Making a wiki copying from the handbook would take 15 hours. And if I were to truly go into depth, it would take 15 days.

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
Writing "I do not have time" took 15 seconds. Making a wiki copying from the handbook would take 15 hours. And if I were to truly go into depth, it would take 15 days.

Yes I understand now. I was just reading it like that you didnt have time to make documentation for your users :)

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Ok assuming that someone could code an API that parses HTML. We would still need.

1:A few modders to get together and standardize basic layouts for the web pages and the conversion to in- game pages.

2:a coder for the java in-game app/mod/API

3:a web page designer that can make a website more standardized than a wiki that steam of people can help populate

4:a team of people to help populate the web page

I know I can help with the populating and the overall design ( used to design/make fillable acrobat pages for an old job ). But the positions need filling. So reply if you would like to take the time to help this get going. And once we get the 2 coders positions filled we can get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Ok assuming that someone could code an API that parses HTML. We would still need.
1:A few modders to get together and standardize basic layouts for the web pages and the conversion to in- game pages.

I question how good of an idea that is; different layouts may be necessary for different mods. For example, I do not see you being able to use the same layout for pages on Wisps, the RC jet engine, and Certus Quartz tools.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
That's why I would like modders to input their knowledge into the works. Even if everything can not be standardized additional info can always be placed in description areas until there is enough need to change the layout.

One of the biggest problems I see with mods working together is that there is no form of standardization (i.e. block ID's) and people have to write other mods to help. Maybe this mod could help with that by at least standardizing the way people document their stuff.

I don't want to stifle modders imaginations I just want them to share it with others in an easier fashion.

I would also think that having 1 place for mod documentation would make it much easier for modders and take some of the overall burden off of them. Also it could provide useful info to them if they wanted.

Last edited:

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
In gaem books are cool and useful. They're also a pain. I wouldn't want any mod author to waste their time making a book where a community of people can give the same information and give extra information such as mod interactions and useful tricks, all while doing it in a fraction of the time a mod author would be able to do it.

On a side note, I've neve seen in game books as particularly useful. I can run Minecraft with Chrome in the background, pages always visible, without taking up any inventory space.

As far as a book API, the mod authors still have to add information which is generally the most time-costly part of it.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Which is why a standalone mod just *for* mod books would be nice. That puts it on us as a community to make the books just as it's currently on us to maintain the wikis. That way the mod creators can focus on creating and we can keep up our documentation.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
I know this mod isn't needed, but I wouldn't have posted the idea if it wasn't wanted.

It could even offer more than just being a localized thing for players and modders to use. It all depends on how much people are willing to participate.

Heck there can be things such as stat tracking, modders getting all most instant bug reports, promote new mods, list most used mods, and more.

I know the reason I suggested it was because I generally don't like tabbing out of the game to go search YouTube or the major forums to find out info about a mods items. Plus searching the forums leads to even more time wasted that I could be playing the game with an easy way to get the info. And I don't use wiki's because they are always outdated and never have 1/2 the info needed.

There are probably a million and one mods out there that have some awesome stuff in them that a billion people will never check out because there is no documentation in them. Heck I have dropped several mods because getting info on them was hard or next to impossible.

Well I am just starting to rant so I am gonna stop.

Reactions: SynfulChaot

Scopius

Jul 29, 2019
Instead of crafting the books, or having them spawn in, I like the idea that Billund uses, having them delivered. Perhaps a parrot could fly in from the Amazon biome, and if you are a Prime member, shipping is free and it arrives in 2 days.

Grey_Ghost

Jul 29, 2019
I really like how Extra Utilities uses NEI's "used for" button to give information instead of a book. I wish more mods did this.

Reactions: Mevansuto