Mod Books

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
We can call it " Safety First " you spawn in with a small book that gives you 1 or 2 pages. In that book is a recipe like 3 glass 1 button 1 redstone 1 copper and 3 iron. It makes you a Tablet that lists all the mods you have installed and basic info and recipes for all the items in those mods. After you make the items though if you shift right click on them the tablet pulls up detailed info on that item. Now I am not a modder and I can't code but I would be willing on writing up stuff on the mods that I us and giving any ideas that I come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for the double post but I can't find a way to edit from my phone....

Alternate name " iMod" cause it's a tablet and if you look my suggested recipe it's kinda like an iPhone

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking that you could have a block a bit like the bibliocraft printing press and you use a GUI to order whichever books you want, like the assembly table from buildcraft, then you supply paper, ink and leather and it makes one of each of the books you ordered. For me this serves four purposes. You don't have to have players spawning with tons of books in their inventory, you don't have to add a ton of recipes for each individual book, and you get to have all the in game information and it is accessible. The final reason is particularly good if you like building libraries. You have another nice block to add to your room which serves an appropriate function and hopefully looks at least half as good as the bibliocraft printing press.

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019
Have a look at the latest version of Magic Farm, it has a mod that lets jaded add a custom book at the start to include a tutorial and changelog

Mod: https://github.com/TPPI-Dev/Modpack-Tweaks

The mod is made by the guys at TPPI (Test Pack Please Ignore) and its in their modpack too if you want to check it out
So Magic Farm finally got an in-game getting started manual, guess there will be less people desperately trying to make a wooden pickaxe on their first in game day.

Sorry to interrupt, please continue...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Playing a ton of Tinker's has me wanting to do proper books for our mods..

The main issue is that a lot of mods having books means that you start spawning into servers with like 32 books in your inventory..

Maybe a central book API that all book using mods share, that each mod could add 'pages' to would work.

that would be nice to have, as I don't really like how tinker's distributes the information over several books.
I know witchery does this aswell, but I don't like having a whole chest of books because a mod adds several books...

the mod could spawn in just this book upon word load, and it can tell you how to craft the chapters for other mods through the book, ofcourse the crafting shouldn't be too expensive otherwise people won't bother using it.
or perhaps it could use the achievement system, so everytime you get an anchievement from a mod, the book will automatically display the new information. maybe when you obtain an item from a mod, it'll automatically register this and gives you an achievement for having unlocked a new chapter for this specific mod.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

The main issue is that a lot of mods having books means that you start spawning into servers with like 32 books in your inventory..

Maybe a central book API that all book using mods share, that each mod could add 'pages' to would work.

My advice is don't spawn with the book. It bugs me how TiC does that. Find a way like in TC.

Reactions: Padfoote

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
You would have to spawn with something to get you started. The TiC book helps you get started right off the bat while the ArsMagica book is kind of impossible to figure out how to get unless you know already. It would also have to be very simple to progress. I liked the previously mentioned printing press, but it would have to be easy to make and use. Getting information about a mod when you are already half-way through it because the book was to hard to make would be pointless.

Reactions: Odovbold

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
the thing is, it requires exta work for a mod developer to document all the items and blocks of their mods.

One of the first things a developer learns is to write documentation. It has to be on the todo for ALL developers. I agree that a developer can have probelm writing a manual for a customer (like us) but just some words will work fine.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019

You could do something like Witchery has... There are five books, the first is crafted with vanilla items (book, feather, ink, red flower, yellow flower), and the rest are made with progressively more complex mod items. I would avoid an all-vanilla recipe (to prevent overlap with other mods), but something as simple as a written book crafted with a basic mod item to get you the first manual would be helpful. That way, you wouldn't have the book until you wanted it.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Generally, books are REALLY annoying to code, as are ALL guis.
It's something that is incredible once you have done, but is a heavy task.
Like, look at joshie, he made some really incredible books, I think he has been working on them for weeks, literally.

Reactions: Esheon

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Generally, books are REALLY annoying to code, as are ALL guis.
It's something that is incredible once you have done, but is a heavy task.
Like, look at joshie, he made some really incredible books, I think he has been working on them for weeks, literally.
Yeah, I looked at doing something for Blood Magic, and my limited coding ability has no chance whatsoever of making something useful. I'm still fiddling around with it, but it's more of a "do I want to be frustrated tonight" thing than an actual attempt to do it.

In terms of modding, the best I've managed to do is make some frameworks for Maptool and some UI mods for MMOs. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who can code a good Minecraft mod.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
I know its probably not easy but would it be easier to code 4-5 pages with specific fill able layouts. And then make it so you can string them in any order you need.
Like:
1: Intro page- maybe have a .png spot for a mods banner or logo, and 2 areas of text like a title and description of the mod.

2: contents page- text links to every other page in the book

3: item page- spot for the .png of the item and then a few areas for text

4: description page- straight up text page maybe with a title area so you can use it with the next page

5: multi block page- a gridded off page that people could add .pngs to show the build by layer. Like ArsMagica but maybe not that detailed.

The last thing needed would be 1 item coded to be able to make the books in game.

MrJims

Jul 29, 2019
It would't be to hard for a java programer to make an API like that, the difficulty comes in not getting carried away and over engineering the API with fancy features.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
To be honest, it is impossible to please everyone. I get equal numbers of people loving the RC handbook over a wiki and complaining that it has an ingame book and no wiki.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, it is impossible to please everyone. I get equal numbers of people loving the RC handbook over a wiki and complaining that it has an ingame book and no wiki.
I know! Put all the info from the in game book into the wiki! That way both sides are satisfied while you're fooling everyone. :D