Mod Best MC version?

seppitm

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,
i whant to create a mod, i have already developed mods for1.2.5, now i what to know where is a good and stable start for developing a mod?

currently FTB is build on MC 1.5.2, on which version will be the next FTB Pack release?

should i develop for 1.5.2 or 1.6.4 ? and why?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
If you are starting right now, 1.6.4 is probably your best bet. FTB's 1.6 packs, if/when they come, will be pretty much guaranteed to run 1.6.4 (because that version is absolutely required for forward compatibility).

1.5.2 still has a fairly large audience, mostly because 1.6.x is still getting ready for fully fledged modpack releases, but content development for that version has slowed down extremely. Almost all new stuff is being put out for 1.6.x, maybe with a backport if the author feels like it.

However, keep 1.7 in the back of your mind as well. On one hand, it will likely be a while until the entire modding ecosystem even starts on it; but on the other hand, it majorly changes the way mods need to be written, so it may not be the best idea to get too comfortable with the status quo. You should probably follow the snapshots, and develop your mod in such a way that a later port to 1.7 is as painless as possible.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, Omicron. I've been sort of wondering the same thing. Also, I'm assuming must (most ?) of the API calls will be Forge/ForgeMP rather than direct minecraft. Is that a safe assumption ?

Also, do you know how extensive the Forge/ForgeMP changes will be for 1.7 relative to 1.6.4 ?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The closest I have gotten to Minecraft modding is figuring out how to install eclipse, I'm afraid. You'll have to ask someone who actually knows that stuff :p

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC there was a big change between 1.6 Forge source and 1.5 Forge source. The modding community should be moving on to 1.6 fairly soon, so I am and recommend starting in 1.6.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I highly suggest 1.6.x.
In the change from 1.5.2 to 1.6.x there was quite alot of changes to the way how forge and stuff work.
Not much point in 1.5.2 imo :/