Mob pathing DW20 17.10

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Crhymez

Jul 29, 2019
In a recent forgecraft video soaryn mentions that the zombie was pathing 80 blocks. Meaning it spawned outside of the range of a magnum torch and "pathed" in.

Is this range a vanilla mechanic or does a mod change the range?
While playing DW20 i have noticed lag from mobs, more than any other pack and i cant figure out why.

Crhymez

Jul 29, 2019
Its either the amount of mods in the DW20 pack or its that FTB changed one of the million things it always changes. This is NOT vanilla.
Im on a mission to find out what is making mobs track this far.
watch from 19:00 on untill soaryn mentions it

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
The pathing thing is really odd, especially considering that i'm not seeing mobs spawn within about 80+ blocks without a magnum torch. It's convenient and annoying at the same time.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Mobs shouldn't be moving at all outside of 32 blocks around the players

Crhymez

Jul 29, 2019
Mobs shouldn't be moving at all outside of 32 blocks around the players
I know but they are, and its causing some lag.
I really would like to find what this is caused by, i will see if i can catch a soaryn stream and ask him

Slind

Mar 8, 2013
According to revamp (mod in ftb monster pack which changes the range of path finding next to a few other things) the vanilla path finding range is 16.
A quote from the config is below and shows that the mod default is 40 and the FTB adjustment for Monster 32. Having a Monster server for a very long time I can say that this mod was removed only days after server release. The resources needed for the Entities dropped by 60-80% after removing it though comparing Monster and DW20 Entities, something with the DW20 Mobs seems to be a lot more heavy. Unfortunately isn't visual vm showing any mod related stuff (plain vanilla classes). But due to the fact that this isn't an issue with Modsauce and our custom 1.7.10 pack, I assume one of the mods is changing something or it is an incompatibility issue with the pack.
To clarify the amount of mobs compared to chunks loaded and players is normal, the meantime per mob is excessive high (up to 2ms per mob with a 1270v3).
Code:
    # Maximum distance villagers will pathfind. Used to counter the zombie's improved tracking. Note! Can be memory-intensive if set too high! Minecraft default=16. Mod default=40.
    I:pathFindingRange=32

Reactions: Crhymez

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
This very well may be a Vanilla Mechanic. Zombies were overhauled recently (1.6.x?) to have a more "horde"-like mentality, their "sight" range is now 42 blocks, unless they've been summoned as part of "Reinforcements" upon being hit (which spawns them in an 80m-cubed area), where they'll always target the one who hit the zombie who summoned the Reinforcements. Plus, damaged zombies also cause nearby zombies to attack, somewhat similar to Zombie Pigmen, but not quite the same.

I assume the zombie just walked in from beyond the Magnum Torch radius.. although it's a little strange, considering everyone was in Creative then..

Reactions: Zoss

Slind

Mar 8, 2013
This very well may be a Vanilla Mechanic. Zombies were overhauled recently (1.6.x?) to have a more "horde"-like mentality, their "sight" range is now 42 blocks, unless they've been summoned as part of "Reinforcements" upon being hit (which spawns them in an 80m-cubed area), where they'll always target the one who hit the zombie who summoned the Reinforcements. Plus, damaged zombies also cause nearby zombies to attack, somewhat similar to Zombie Pigmen, but not quite the same.

I assume the zombie just walked in from beyond the Magnum Torch radius.. although it's a little strange, considering everyone was in Creative then..
This is true, but in this case it is something else. I mean I can compare it to all the other modded minecraft servers we have and this excessive entity usage is far above any natural outbreak. (4-10 times the cpu usage on each mob compared to 1.6.4 and other 1.7 servers)