MJ power storage - battery??

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

bankmine

Jul 29, 2019
so after experimenting a bit this is what I came up with to store all my MJs, I was looking for the ability to charge and disperse rapidly on demand and making the system modular.

Anyone have a better option or advice on how to make this better? I'm not sure the energy looping is the best thing to do and am looking for an alternative.

Attachments

• 2013-09-26_04.53.30.png
    2013-09-26_04.53.30.png
    965.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 2013-09-26_05.44.13.jpg
    2013-09-26_05.44.13.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 119

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
energy loops are only bad with ic2 cables, with conduits its no problem.

hard to see exactly what you did, i assume the power outputs from the top to the tesseracts?

bankmine

Jul 29, 2019
its hooked up to HP boilers and I plan on adding more and expanding the "battery" it currently has 2 inputs and 1outputs, (yes to the tesseracts)

what's interesting was energy stayed frozen within the cells until I added the 2nd set of inputs per each cell. anyway.. i'm hoping this setup is ideal for storing mass amounts of energy and outputting on demand as I plan on expanding it based on this template. I was primarily concerned with the loops but if they're not a problem everything seems to be working efficiently just wanted someone else to take a peak :).

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
That is what most people end up doing sooner or later, buffering/storing MJ with a bank of RECs. I have a bank of them between my power-hungry extrabee machines and the rest of the grid, for example.

Loops are OK as long as they don't connect both input and output sides.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have a better option or advice on how to make this better? I'm not sure the energy looping is the best thing to do and am looking for an alternative.

Loops are OK as long as they don't connect both input and output sides.

Which is exactly what this setup is doing. The input and output to the RECs are connected to the same conduit.

I would move the central conduit down one level (to be even with the bottom connections of the REC, that way the input and output are not running through the same conduit. Or are you sending/receiving energy through the same set of tesseracts?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Awww, I was hoping for a creative solution in a 1.6 context... the best I've come up there is to use tons of small engines instead of many large ones (llike, commercial instead of industrial steam engines). As wooden conductive pipes buffer 1,500 MJ each, having many engines outputting into many wooden pipes creates a quasi-buffer.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.6 you can use gate conditionals to automatically turn your engines on and off based upon power requirements, reducing the need/desire for a large MJ buffer in the first place.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, except that that makes no sense for steam engines on a boiler. Why bother turning them off? The only thing you gain from that is a system that responds super slowly to changing energy needs because engine stroke speed (and by extension MJ/t output) scales with internal MJ storage, and a steam engine turned off loses its internal MJ storage. Everytime you need MJ, you need to cold-start most of your engines and won't get full output until 30-60 seconds later.

The gate conditional makes sense on engines that directly consume fuel, in order to save it. The boiler is on all the time, there's no need to turn anything off. And if the engines are pumping anyway, you might as well create as much of a buffer space for them as possible, because that means that you can consume energy at above your boiler's output rating for a short while. For example, in my 1.6.2 world I have an 8 LP and a 12 LP boiler for a combined output of 40 MJ/t. Around half of that is permanently consumed just to counter power perdition of my machines, leaving me with 20. But I have 8 lasers on my assembly table, which can take up to 32. If I throw something on the table, then, I can draw on the laser's internal buffer, plus the buffer in my various wooden kinesis pipes, to do a short burst at 32 MJ/t before it slows down again. It's usually enough to build a simple gate for 10k MJ in a hurry.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Awww, I was hoping for a creative solution in a 1.6 context... the best I've come up there is to use tons of small engines instead of many large ones (llike, commercial instead of industrial steam engines). As wooden conductive pipes buffer 1,500 MJ each, having many engines outputting into many wooden pipes creates a quasi-buffer.
The capacitor bank from Ender IO is like a multi block rec