Mining Well Quarry, RP2 Style

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CrazyCoco

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, so since I dislike computercraft (because I don't know how to use it very well...), I decided to make one with redpower block breakers, deployers, and the like. I do have a problem, though, and I'll let an imgur album I made to describe it.
http://imgur.com/a/lQgaf

Does anyone have any ideas?

Here's a world download if you'd like to take a look!
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28006322/Test World!.zip

EDIT: Thanks to the help of some awesome people, I got the machine working! If you want to take a look, here is the updated world download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28006322/Test World!.zip

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have enough experience with routers to know what to do unfortunately...

But I wanted to point out, on the off chance that you were unaware, that a number of pieces of your rig aren't attached to frames. I'm guessing you have left those frames off intentionally for the sake of easier troubleshooting; but if not I wanted to let you know. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1364714301][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, it would be pretty easy to use pneumatic tubes to pipe each mining well from each block breaker to the nearest deployer, wouldn't it? Just need covers to keep the adjacent tube lines separated.

This would probably ease your router problem since you wouldn't have to bother filtering out the mining wells. Yes?

Reactions: CrazyCoco

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
You would either need a machine filter on the router placing the mining wells in the deployer, or skip it entirely, and loop pipes from the block breaker to the deployer. The item will take the shortest path to the closest inventory, so you shouldn't need to separate the tubing, but painting alternating colors would make it easier to look at. Just have tubing go straight up and over the TE conduit, then loop back to the deployer.

You can use redstone tubing to pulse the block breakers when needed.

edit-

Ahh, never mind. I see how it is working now. You are pulling the inventory items out of the deployers with the router as that is the valid inventory for the mining wells.

So, is the mining well being pulled out of the deployer, or is the input router randomly placing one of the mining wells in the other router? If it is the latter, a machine filter should fix it, if it is the former, I have no idea.

CrazyCoco

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have enough experience with routers to know what to do unfortunately...

But I wanted to point out, on the off chance that you were unaware, that a number of pieces of your rig aren't attached to frames. I'm guessing you have left those frames off intentionally for the sake of easier troubleshooting; but if not I wanted to let you know. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1364714301][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, it would be pretty easy to use pneumatic tubes to pipe each mining well from each block breaker to the nearest deployer, wouldn't it? Just need covers to keep the adjacent tube lines separated.

This would probably ease your router problem since you wouldn't have to bother filtering out the mining wells. Yes?
Yeah they aren't attached to frames right now because this is just getting the system working. After I get it working, I'll go ahead and replace all pnuematic tubes with the appropriate frames! I can also easily hook it up to a currently existing inchworm drive thingy already set up right next to it.
You would either need a machine filter on the router placing the mining wells in the deployer, or skip it entirely, and loop pipes from the block breaker to the deployer. The item will take the shortest path to the closest inventory, so you shouldn't need to separate the tubing, but painting alternating colors would make it easier to look at. Just have tubing go straight up and over the TE conduit, then loop back to the deployer.

You can use redstone tubing to pulse the block breakers when needed.

edit-

Ahh, never mind. I see how it is working now. You are pulling the inventory items out of the deployers with the router as that is the valid inventory for the mining wells.

So, is the mining well being pulled out of the deployer, or is the input router randomly placing one of the mining wells in the other router? If it is the latter, a machine filter should fix it, if it is the former, I have no idea.
Yeah, the router on the left of the deployers (not next to tesseract) replaces the mining wells, while the other router collects all of resources.

I did what you guys recommended, and made it much more compact! But now how would I go about keeping the mining wells in while taking everything else out?
New Setup: http://i.imgur.com/J04zozl.png

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
throw a line of transposers inline with the tubes. Use redstone tubing to activate both the block breakers and "jam" the transposers (you will need to keep the redstone signal on). The transposers will keep the mining wells jammed in the block breakers. Then after you turn off the router, disable the signal to the block breakers and transposers, and the transposers will open and allow the mining wells to flow over to the deployers ready for placement.

(This is just one option, I'm sure there are others.)

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Probably an easier method would be to wait until after the deployers are completely empty before pulsing the block breakers to collect the mining wells. Then nothing fancy or more complex would be needed. The router would be off, so no more items will get pulled out of the deployers. You will either need to increase the timer, or set up a gate/state cell to detect when items are still traveling through the extraction router, so you can have the block breakers pick up the mining wells after all the resources have been pulled from the deployers.

CrazyCoco

Jul 29, 2019
vZgn3Yg.png

I decided to go back to what I did earlier. So what I have here is basically when you push the button, the deployers deploy the mining well and the router immediately gets activated and tries to pull stuff out harvested by mining well. A few seconds later, the block breakers pick up the wells and only one of them is needed to go through the detector set off the redstone signal. With that signal, the toggle latch is hit and the router is turned off (current state). It seems to work now! Thank you guys for your help. Now to make this bigger and actually add in the times for how long it will take for the mining wells to mine, and also I need to put it on frames (which is the easy part...).

Thanks again gents! If you have some of your own designs, do share!

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
Great call with the item detector! That should work like a charm.

I haven't built this style of mining rig myself, because my giant RP2 tunnel bore already gives me more resources than I can use. :p But perhaps I'll have to build my own rendition somewhere down the line just for the fun of it. That's what the game is about after all!!

CrazyCoco

Jul 29, 2019
Great call with the item detector! That should work like a charm.

I haven't built this style of mining rig myself, because my giant RP2 tunnel bore already gives me more resources than I can use. :p But perhaps I'll have to build my own rendition somewhere down the line just for the fun of it. That's what the game is about after all!!
I realized that this was necessary because of a few reasons
  • Fast
  • Easy to find
  • Easy to build (above ground)
  • Goes all the way down to bedrock from where you set it up
  • Airships.
Mainly my copper supply was short (actually everything now that I think about it....), and an industrial centrifuge wasn't cutting it.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
won't always get all the way down, any liquid at all will stop a given row at that point.
I've been thinking about this, but I honestly come up short.
I've got a slightly random idea involving a line of pumps, gates that hold it paused as long as there's liquid in the pipes and a 2nd copy of the front line... but that has obvious trouble.

So I might just have to settle for it not cutting through oceans, and leaving huge lakes of lava exposed.

CrazyCoco

Jul 29, 2019
won't always get all the way down, any liquid at all will stop a given row at that point.
I've been thinking about this, but I honestly come up short.
I've got a slightly random idea involving a line of pumps, gates that hold it paused as long as there's liquid in the pipes and a 2nd copy of the front line... but that has obvious trouble.

So I might just have to settle for it not cutting through oceans, and leaving huge lakes of lava exposed.
That's probably the best solution. Putting pumps in might over-complicate things....who said that was a bad thing though? :D

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, liquids are a nuisance for sure. That's one place where a tunnel bore excels - particularly if you use Xycraft water blocks to seal off any lava. My bore has been under an ocean for ages it seems, so I'm really glad I didn't have to wait for a mining well rig to fly over the whole thing!

I'm definitely going to try to have to brainstorm a solution to the liquid thing for such rigs though... can't help myself...

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
just a stupid question:

a tunnelbore at a layer like 50-60, so it just digs through an ocean, removing waterblocks that are in it's way, sealing of the ocean, and on the bottom layer of that bore, there is a row of mining turtles deploying those miners. so this framedevice is both, a standard tunnelbore and a miner-deployer, so it mines everything from level 60 to bedrock?

else you need a mystcraft age and define, that the mining rig can't ever hit an ocean (for example a desert biome)...

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
just a stupid question:

a tunnelbore at a layer like 50-60, so it just digs through an ocean, removing waterblocks that are in it's way, sealing of the ocean, and on the bottom layer of that bore, there is a row of mining turtles deploying those miners. so this framedevice is both, a standard tunnelbore and a miner-deployer, so it mines everything from level 60 to bedrock?

else you need a mystcraft age and define, that the mining rig can't ever hit an ocean (for example a desert biome)...
I'm not exactly sure which part of that was your question... but I LOVE the idea!
The depth of the ocean floor typically varies quite a bit, but that just means the tunnel bore has to be fairly tall to accommodate. At that point it might make more sense to go tunnel bore all the way, but your idea sounds like more fun. :D

mos7wan7ed

Jul 29, 2019
I loaded your world and couldn't make heads or tails of your machine. I built this one instead. I'll have the video uploaded shortly explaining how it works.
2013-04-08_02.40.55.png

CrazyCoco

Jul 29, 2019
Can you put up a world download with the working one? :)
My apologies! I didn't get an alert for your comment for some reason...
I loaded your world and couldn't make heads or tails of your machine. I built this one instead. I'll have the video uploaded shortly explaining how it works.
I was testing several designs, so you may have found a bad one? No matter, I got it working. Here's the download (look for the floating machine): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28006322/Test World!.zip

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
What modpack are you using?
Have you played with putting a portal frame and chunk loader on the machine, for quick access after it has wander along way off? I put them on my machine and the chunk loader works fine but the portal spawner always breaks when I leave the world. It works fine as long as I stay in the world but when I leave the portal spawner breaks and I have to fly hundreds of blocks to get back to the machine.