Miniature Red Hearts ... Where to get them?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
I know they drop from mobs, but is there a way to automate this at all, or could a cursed earth farm do it? Or is it like the wither skeleton farms on Agraian Skies that had to be killed with spikes to get special drops? Just wanting to know what I have to set up.

Brian

Harros

Jul 29, 2019
I believe you have to kill the mob to get the hearts because I have auto spawners and haven't gotten any but while I was grinding to make the spawners I was getting a few.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
I believe you have to kill the mob to get the hearts because I have auto spawners and haven't gotten any but while I was grinding to make the spawners I was getting a few.

That's what I was told about the wither skeleton farms on AS, I used the spikes and they started dropping. I am assuming the same might happen here, but no way to confirm really, short of someone confirming it for me :D.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I was told about the wither skeleton farms on AS, I used the spikes and they started dropping. I am assuming the same might happen here, but no way to confirm really, short of someone confirming it for me :D.
AFAIK iron spikes function as fake players for rare mob drops. Same thing with autonomous activators.

Reactions: madnewmy

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Spikes WILL drop miniature red hearts, but the hearts are so rare it just may not seem like it is dropping. Give it a week and you'll get one or two. But, they will not drop off of a MFR grinder. Or if it will, it's even rarer.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I had one drop from the wither boss. I haven't gotten around to killing multiple withers yet, so not sure if they have increased chance to drop it, or just coincidence.

Drop rate is something like 1 in 300 btw, forget the exact number.

I'm thinking of making a minetweaker recipe for turning yellow into red. Kinda sad, but I've got more than twice as many yellow as red.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Are the drops governed by how they are killed or how they are spawned? Cos docm set up an auto killing thing(AA I think but can't remember) with a vanilla spawner and it worked but didn't work when the mobs came from an auto spawner

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
The fastest way to get miniature hearts in my experience is an autonomous activator with a looting 4 dartcraft sword. The higher the looting the better the chances of a heart dropping. You have to make sure the activator is set correctly. It needs to be on the first slot only and left click instead of right click. You can use anything from cursed earth and fans pushing the mobs to conveyer belts to a hole with the activator or you use mob spawners of any kind. Basically the activator is considered a player kill and you get all the drops as if you killed it. If you use an open blocks vacuum hopper you will get liquid xp as well.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I had one drop from the wither boss. I haven't gotten around to killing multiple withers yet, so not sure if they have increased chance to drop it, or just coincidence.

Drop rate is something like 1 in 300 btw, forget the exact number.

I'm thinking of making a minetweaker recipe for turning yellow into red. Kinda sad, but I've got more than twice as many yellow as red.
Withers, as well as most "boss" mobs like the AM2 water guardian, (usually) drop miniature yellow hearts when they die.
That said, not a bad idea about minetweaker... *inaudible muttering fades off into the middle distance*
EDIT: Is there a mod that can alter enemy drops?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Personally don't like the yellow to red recipe idea.... Yellow should be harder to get than a guaranteed drop from bosses IMO. A permanent health bonus should be very very difficult to get...

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Autonomous activators with swords surrounded by vacuum hoppers might be your best bet.

MFR Grinders didn't used to pick up hearts, haven't checked to see if that's still the case but i'm pretty sure it is.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Withers, as well as most "boss" mobs like the AM2 water guardian, (usually) drop miniature yellow hearts when they die.
That said, not a bad idea about minetweaker... *inaudible muttering fades off into the middle distance*

I got red as well as yellow is what I was saying.

Personally don't like the yellow to red recipe idea.... Yellow should be harder to get than a guaranteed drop from bosses IMO. A permanent health bonus should be very very difficult to get...

I agree, but red should also be easier to get than yellow. Not the other way around. I was also thinking about making it more than just straight yellow to red. I don't know of a way to tweak the drop rate, but I can change the cost.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, but red should also be easier to get than yellow. Not the other way around. I was also thinking about making it more than just straight yellow to red. I don't know of a way to tweak the drop rate, but I can change the cost.

Agreed but yellow should be made harder to get rather than making red easier, maybe a 25% drop chance from a boss... having to kill 40 withers would be fair to get up to 30 hearts.

Maybe adjust the recipe to use 4 yellows in each canister. Current canister recipe to make red hearts?

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
There's a mod by Father Toast that can.

D

Deleted member 130969

I've been collecting stacks of miniature red hearts by afk spawning blazes from a vanilla spawner (which I moved to my base using a diamond dolly) and letting conveyor belts push them to mfr grinders, drop rates aren't amazing but I can usually get a couple stacks over the course of a full nights sleep.